Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-26-2009, 06:16 AM   #1

Need flash help!!!

Hello all.

I am a relatively new to the K10D and just recently purchased my first flash for it. After some research I decided that the Sigma 530 (non-super) was the best bet for me at this point given its low cost. I am basically just looking for something that is an upgrade from the on-board flash that would give me the tilt and swivel function.

However, this is where my problem seems to come in. Everytime I tilt the flash even a little to bounce the light my images essentially come out black. I have the camera in Av and the flash set to TTL... If I put the flash down it washes out the scene...

What am I missing?

Thanks

--Greg

04-26-2009, 08:20 AM   #2
Igilligan

A couple of questions...

I am essentially a flash newbie with the even cheaper model of the sigma the 500St

What are you bouncing the flash against when you point it up? Just tilting a little is not the best for bounce really, strait up at a ceiling or off of a wall, or even better a reflector.

It could be the flash is not talking to the PTTL of the camera. Try bypassing PTTL by putting the flash in Mh, camera in M mode, SS at 180 and Aperture at say 5.6. Lock ISO at ISO 200 and take a bounce flash test shot. Adjust Aperture until you get a decent bounce exposure.

Is it a used flash? If so did it come from someone with the K10?
04-27-2009, 03:26 AM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by gcap74 Quote
Everytime I tilt the flash even a little to bounce the light my images essentially come out black.
For bouncing you have to tilt more than a little, the head should be in 90-45 degree position range depending on the distance of your subject and the height of the ceiling and the angle of your camera (if your tilting the camera too). It is just basic geometry, just like in snooker (when you have to bounce the ball). If you use wrong angle then most or all of the flash light will bounce at the wrong position off the ceiling -> flash light will miss your subject (fall off either in front of or behind it) -> flash light won't affect exposure -> your pic will be dark(er).
04-27-2009, 06:54 AM   #4
Veteran Member

With the Sigma EF 530 DG Super, I get better exposures when I bouce with the wide panel extended. It seems to spread the light more evenly in the room. And you need to really tilt the flash up for effective bounce. If you just tilt a little, you actually get some light from the edge of the beam in the top of the picture, and no light or ambient light only in the bottom.

04-29-2009, 01:59 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by gcap74 Quote

However, this is where my problem seems to come in. Everytime I tilt the flash even a little to bounce the light my images essentially come out black. I have the camera in Av and the flash set to TTL... If I put the flash down it washes out the scene...

What am I missing?
Sounds like the P-TTL (not the same thing as TTL) is having a Cool Hand Luke style failure to communicate.

Are you sure you bought the Pentax model?