Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-04-2009, 11:02 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Recommend a flash for ME super?

As title really. I need a flash for my ME Super and I would like to know what is good and what to avoid. I'll probably be buying something used off ebay.

I do have a Canon 430exII speedlight but I never managed to establish if I could use it with the ME Super, albeit with limited functionality. I was more worried about damaging the speedlight than the ME Super because the speedlight cost a lot more.

Thanks in advance.

05-04-2009, 12:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
A used AF280T would be about perfect for that camera. Should be able to find one in the marketplace, KEH or eekbay.
08-11-2009, 12:26 AM   #3
Inactive Account

I beg the OP to excuse me for writing in his / her thread...

Is there any bouce / swivel flash that would let me set the power in more steps/levels? On Bojidar Dimitrov's site (1), I found found out that the AF400T has this, but I'm not sure if it's fully compatible with the ME Super.

Then (2), thare are the auto focus flashes. While the AF500FTZ has everything I'd possibly need (bounce / swivel, several power levels, zoom etc.), I question again its compatibility with the ME Super. I suspect much of the functions cannot be used, right?
08-11-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
pbo
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I beg the OP to excuse me for writing in his / her thread...

Is there any bouce / swivel flash that would let me set the power in more steps/levels? On Bojidar Dimitrov's site (1), I found found out that the AF400T has this, but I'm not sure if it's fully compatible with the ME Super.

Then (2), thare are the auto focus flashes. While the AF500FTZ has everything I'd possibly need (bounce / swivel, several power levels, zoom etc.), I question again its compatibility with the ME Super. I suspect much of the functions cannot be used, right?
I'm quite sure any flash with its own sensor will work alright with an ME Super - like AF400T you mentioned, for example, - see that small green circle and a dot inside? That's the flash sensor. They all look similar - so when looking for a flash on ebay or somewhere else, just look for that - and you can be almost sure it'll work on your ME Super. Now, the quirk is, you still have to set aperture manually - by reading a scale off the back of the flash (the aperture you set depends on your distance to the subject - so you approximate your distance to the subject, and then read off the flash what aperture is supposed to be for that distance. The flash automatically adjusts its power).
On the contrary, I am pretty sure more advanced TTL/P-TTL flashes with no sensors of their own will not meter correctly on ME Super - simply because the camera does not support TTL flash metering - and so you will be stuck with manual mode.
An affordable flash I can recommend would be a Sunpak 422D/433AF and the clones of those. They are fairly powerful (GN100 at ASA100), have 3 auto modes (somewhat like weak/medium/high) and a manual mode - from full power down to 1/16. They bounce and swivel, but do not zoom.

By the way, to the OP, I don't see why ME super would harm that flash. I mean, the triggering is done by physically shorting two contacts, right? Someone more knowledgeable on this should comment, though, since I'm not that sure.

08-11-2009, 01:08 AM   #5
Inactive Account

thanks for the very quick answer!

on this occasion, i found that the me super has only 2 flash pins - main / trigger and "ready". i guess that's why i cannot meter.
08-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #6
Veteran Member

I use this Vivitar on my ME

does that offer any help?
connects to the flash socket on side of lens mount and hot shoe!
08-13-2009, 11:42 PM   #7
Inactive Account

as long as it has the blue circe / sensor, it gotta be ok, i guess. but huh... (and that's rather strange to me) it connects both to the hot shoe and the side socket? why that? is it triggered by wire?
08-14-2009, 12:10 AM   #8
pbo
Veteran Member

Yep, as long as there is the blue circle, it's okay If you shoot digital as well, better be careful with trigger voltage though.

Connecting via both hotshoe and PC sync is an overkill imho. One is enough. Both ways will work when connected separately - so either hotshoe or pc (the wire is called PC sync wire, or Prontor/Compur) and connecting simulateously will work, but I don't see an advantage to doing so... Connecting via hotshoe provides ease of handling - flash will stay there all the time. Connecting via PC wire allows more flexibility for flash position.

Now that I think about it, if that flash comes with PC sync permanently attached to its body, then it's probably intuitive to connect it to the port so that it doesn't get in the way of the photographer.

08-15-2009, 06:46 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If I dont use the cable AS WELL as sitting in the hot shoe it will only work 90% of the time!
hence I use both!

but yes one OR the other in normal use is good!

also my vivitar 285 will work as it too has the sensor on the front which also be set with a dial, that darkens the sensor window to make flash brighter if needed!

so either of these two will work fine!
08-16-2009, 11:46 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Thank you a lot, pbo and PentaxPZ.