Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-13-2009, 08:02 PM   #1

Corrosion in battery chamber and chirping for flash?

I found a pretty cheap sb-28 on craigslist and checked it out and it had some corrosion on the battery slide door. i talked him down another $10 for that

is this going to be a problem? It's just a piece of metal that connects the batteries in a circuit right? I sanded most of what i could off so it doesnt look too bad.

Also when the flash charges, it whines and chirps in 1/2 sec intervals instead of doing just one steady noise. i have another sb-28 that does not do this. any idea?

05-14-2009, 06:13 PM   #2
Veteran Member

The corrosion shouldn't cause a problem, as long as it hasn't eaten away too much metal. I have a couple of old strobes where the contacts were completely gone - I just replaced them with a bit of copper tape.

Not sure about the chirping. My SB-24 just has the usual steady whine. I remember the first time I popped up the built in flash on the *ist DL - it made this frightful bad sci-fi movie-arcing-chatter. I thought it was defective, but apparently it's a normal sound for AF assist.

Try to fire it a dozen times or so in a row to reform the charging capacitor.