Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-15-2009, 12:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Cheap Universal Flash Diffuser

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I recently restored a Sunpak 611, a Sunpak 522, a Metz 45CT4, and a Vivitar 283, with a Sunpak 544 in the work (not sure if I can salvage this one).

They have one thing in common: the flash head covers only as wide as 35mm (in 35mm format terms).

I don't want to buy a wide angle panel for each of them. Rather, I'd like to have one that fits all. I know bouncing against walls & windows helps but many times I don't have any place to bounce against.

I need something small (when not in used) and light, and quick to attach to and deattach from the flash head.

Will this one work?

05-15-2009, 04:00 PM   #2
Veteran Member

That looks like it would work.

You can take a fresnel lens (like they stick in the back of RV/truck windows) and cut it into several wide angle panels for a few bucks. Less light loss than the diffuser if all you're after is wider angles...
05-15-2009, 04:21 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by OregonJim Quote
You can take a fresnel lens (like they stick in the back of RV/truck windows) and cut it into several wide angle panels for a few bucks. Less light loss than the diffuser if all you're after is wider angles...
Yup, I'm only after wider angles, and concern about the amount of light loss.

I already have other kinds of diffusers, but want something really simple in this case.

Thanks, Jim, for the suggestion of wide-angle rear window lens. I didn't think of that. I'll drop by Auto Zone on the way home.
05-15-2009, 04:34 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
Yup, I'm only after wider angles, and concern about the amount of light loss.

I already have other kinds of diffusers, but want something really simple in this case.

Thanks, Jim, for the suggestion of wide-angle rear window lens. I didn't think of that. I'll drop by Auto Zone on the way home.
No problem. I cut them a little wider than the flash head so they form a shallow "U" bend in front of the flash. Simple tension keeps them in place. The deeper the bend, the wider the coverage.

05-16-2009, 06:44 AM   #5
Forum Member

light loss

SOldBear how well does the diffuser work that you have in the picture. They made well. How many stops you loss with it. Looks like something handy to have in your bag, just in case.
05-17-2009, 04:39 AM   #6
Veteran Member

You can build this for less than $2 US.

DIY Reflector-Diffuser

Skip the plastic cross-stitch thing--it isn't needed.

You can also make a smaller version that doesn't have the dome shape--in other words

ABetterBounceCard.com

You can get the foam sheets at Wal-Mart or most craft stores.
06-07-2009, 02:42 PM   #7
Veteran Member

$8?? no way man. you can find those much cheaper. i bought mine for like $3. i found this for ya: Soft Flash Bounce Diffuser Fits Canon 580ex II 430ex II - eBay (item 280352704027 end time Jun-07-09 15:04:07 PDT)

06-08-2009, 06:58 PM   #8
Veteran Member

If you search the net for DIY diffusers, you can find a bunch of them.
From white styro cups to styro "paper" plates.
Some even use the bubble wrap and just wrap it around the flash head.
One of the more effective ones is the Ikea "drawer mat" pseudo-lightsphere.
..and also of-course the white foam mat that you can easily get at walmart.
Although, the one pointed out by MPrince at ABetterBounceCard.com is real easy to do.
06-08-2009, 07:00 PM   #9
Veteran Member

The DIY diffusers are for personal (secret) use of course as they won't look professional if you do this in public and for a living...but if it works and you produce great results, what do you care about what others say anyway..right??..hehe.