Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-18-2009, 09:49 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Flashgun or strobe

Hi everyone,

I'm thinking about picking up another flashgun because my backup broke this past weekend. However, before I make any purchase, I was thinking about picking up a Alien Bee strobe instead of a flashgun. I'm just wondering what I would get the most use out of. I have a flashgun that is working but my backup flashgun broke the plastic bottom (where it connects to the hotshoe). It still works but it's very unstable on the hotshoe.

Thanks,

05-18-2009, 10:25 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Maybe you can have it fixed.

They're very different and both have their advantages/disadvantages. It well depends on your type of photography.
05-18-2009, 12:51 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I agree with Diego.....there's a definite need for both. I'd be more inclined to shoot flash only than strobe only. You can shoot with flashes anywhere. They're light, don't take up much space, and are extremely mobile. They only real limitation is power outdoors during the day, particularly if you're using modifiers like softboxes. That's where strobes come in really handy on location. The drawback there is a lot more stuff to lug, which can be a pain if you're not working with an assistant. Of course, you're most likely going to need some portable power to run the strobes, which adds to the load.

Still, AlienBees are a pretty good choice because they're small and light. 1 AB800, 1 stand, and 1 umbrella or snoot is not heavy at all. Add a Vagabond and you can still be pretty mobile without beaking your back.
05-20-2009, 07:57 PM   #4

Both good points above, couldn't agree more..it probably just comes down to your personal preference and the strobe power that you need to have on hand in general. A 500 watt flash light puts out some impressive light on it's own but if you needed more than there's really no substitute for extra lighting units to crank out over a 1,000 watts.

05-20-2009, 10:34 PM   #5

Replace the hot shoe on your back up?

Packrat