Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 01:21 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Radio Triggers or Flash-Based Optical Trigger?

I'm looking for some advice about which way to jump for my next investment for my strobes.

I've worked with the cheap eBay triggers for a while, and have gotten good results doing model photography. I have been considering investing is better radio triggers, such as the Alien Bees product.

However, I am also considering investing solely in flashes, and forgoing radio triggers altogether. The reason is that radio triggers require the camera and flashes to be in manual mode only. The nice thing about using optical triggering from the flashguns is TTL metering, which reduces the amount of work in setting up the lighting, as it gets you into the ballpark with a half-decent exposure.

At the moment, the only flashes I have are a Sigma EF-500 DG Super and an old Vivitar. I will eventually be investing in flashes anyway.

So, my questions:

Is wireless TTL really as big a deal as I think it is?

Do Sigma's high-end flashes support wireless TTL? I have conflicting information (the confusing manual for my EF-500 seems to require that the slaves be programmed while physically connected to the camera -- wha-?)

If not Sigma, should I get the Pentax AF540FGZ or go with Metz?

Or am I better off with radio triggers after all?

06-03-2009, 03:17 PM   #2
Veteran Member

There's a huge difference between wireless TTL with the Pentax systems and for example Nikon's CLS system. CLS allows one to actually control multiple Nikon flashes remotely so you can set different power levels, etc. There isn't any way to do that with Pentax wireless - you can't remotely tell your "fill flash" to fire at -2EV of the "key flash" - so it's not really that helpful (to me).

Now then, if Paul gets it on the market finally, the Remote Commander coupled with the CST+ and CSR(B)+ transmitter/receivers will let you do just that (16 separate channels) on all AlienBees lights and whichever brands of hotshoe flash he ends up supporting. And that will/would be very very nice indeed.

Meanwhile, I am very satisfied with my CyberSync CST & 3 CSRBs which thus far have failed me exactly zero (0) times in a few thousand shots.
06-03-2009, 03:30 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Venturi Quote
CLS allows one to actually control multiple Nikon flashes remotely so you can set different power levels, etc. There isn't any way to do that with Pentax wireless...
Ding! That's answers the primary question. Many thanks. Radio triggers will be more flexible for me, then.
06-03-2009, 03:41 PM   #4
Veteran Member

If you're wanting to do that type of control remotely - and you're looking at the CyberSyncs - I'd seriously consider spending the extra $20ea for the plus (+) versions. They weren't available when I bought my first 2 CSRBs or I'd have them myself.

06-07-2009, 12:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Jim Royal Quote
Ding! That's answers the primary question. Many thanks. Radio triggers will be more flexible for me, then.
The 360 offers 1/3 power settings in wireless P-TTL. This means you have 1/1, 2/3, 1/2, and 1/3 power settings to allow some flexibility. You do have to set this at the flash instead of being able to do it at the camera, however.

Since you have the ebay triggers, you are OK with them and have flashes you can use manually, I think buying flashes with wireless is a logical move. As the flashes that have wireless P-TTL also have manual modes, you only need to buy more of the same triggers you are using to enlarge your manual setup It just seems you get more of everything.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-07-2009 at 12:47 PM.
06-08-2009, 06:51 AM   #6

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Since you have the ebay triggers, you are OK with them and have flashes you can use manually, I think buying flashes with wireless is a logical move.
So, you're saying that I should invest in both systems -- radio triggers and flashguns with wireless TTL.
06-08-2009, 11:46 AM   #7
DAZ
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

There are some things that you get only with P-TTL other then metering. AFAIK there are no radio triggers that support P-TTL and most flash units that support P-TTL also support optical wireless flash.

With P-TTL you get the metering. Although this may not be as consistent as all manual it is reasonably good under quickly changing situations that are impractical in all manual. You also get thing like HHS and trailing curtain. If the flash and camera have optical trigger built in then this is one less thing to get and keep track of. Optical P-TTL triggering is quick, convent and good for short range. It may be a problem in bright light, other flash units flashing (way to many can create problems for the metering), longer ranges or though objects.

As the number of flash units increases P-TTL becomes less of an advantage and using manual starts to look better. As the range increases P-TTL becomes harder to control and manual is more preferred. This makes radio trigger with manual control the better option. Radio triggers may have problem in radio noisy environments, with radio noisy flash units and some cheap radio triggers may contribute to pattern noise (EMI) in some cameras.

This may seem like a waste to have 2 trigger systems but they are not really competing but complimenting each other. Getting one or two flash units with P-TTL W/manual/auto is in MHO good idea. Past 3-4 all manual units like a LP 120 or studio lights like alienbees.

This site Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide is good as to what flashes support P-TTL and their other options.

DAZ

06-08-2009, 02:29 PM   #8

Original Poster
Thanks for the feedback, guys. I will give the matter more consideration.