Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-03-2009, 09:03 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Are wireless flash trigger universal?

I am thinking about getting a wireless trigger for my flash. I am doing some research on which one is good and not. I came across a lot of different types from the popular pocket wizard and the cheapo from ebay. I know NOTHING about working with flash and using wireless trigger so I tried to do some research on it.

When I looked at the compatibility chart, most of them list that they will work with many different flashes but it does not state that you need to buy different connectors for the type of flash/camera you have.

So are most of them universal? If not are they dependent on the camera or on the flash?

If anyone have any links on where I can get some more info on these stuff please let me know.

06-03-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
and
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
for triggers that work only in manual mode. They are compatible with just about anything although you might need to buy extra equipment to make it happen.

For example the gadget infinity triggers have hot shoes on them so any hot shoe flash works, but the pocket wizards use pc sync cables to trigger the flash, not all flashes have pc sync ports on them, for example none of the pentax flashes do, so to get around that you need to buy a hot shoe with pc sync port on it, a little gadget that goes on the flashes hot shoe and gives it a pc sync port where you can connect the pocket wizard

for triggers that actually relay automatic exposure information, then the compability comes into effect and you need to buy the right one, but most of these only support canikon.