Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-05-2009, 07:06 AM   #1

Best Flash and PORTABLE Lighting System?

I'm sure this question has been asked a million times... and trust me, I'm currently reading as much info as I can in the forums.

What's the BEST flash for the K20D?
I heard some burn out quick and people have complaints on the Pentax-made models. I need one that lasts forever. I have 2 flashes from the 60s and 70s that still work... just not good enough for modern use. Anyway, what's the best flash that won't die?

I need bounce, swivel, colored filters, use with F/FA and higher lenses (mainly the FA31 1.8, FA77, FA50, F lenses, etc.), future use with slaves/secondary flashes.

Also...

What's the best PORTABLE lighting system for under $750? (I say $750 - cuz I have no idea what good lights cost! A friend said his STUDIO lights cost him $2500 but who knows.)

I can even build it myself... just need some advice! Looking for 2-3 light set-up etc. I'm new to lighting, and just know I need something great I can travel with. Something that will fit in a large backpack or suitcase, where I can take PORTRAITS in houses, at events, in rooms, etc. I get hired all the time to go on location, and need a lightweight, "small," lighting system I can take with. Again, I can order it pre-made or build one... whichever is better or cheaper or makes more sense... just need advice.

TIA!

Last edited by PentaxForums-User; 06-05-2009 at 07:20 AM.
06-05-2009, 10:33 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote
I'm sure this question has been asked a million times... and trust me, I'm currently reading as much info as I can in the forums.

What's the BEST flash for the K20D?
I heard some burn out quick and people have complaints on the Pentax-made models. I need one that lasts forever. I have 2 flashes from the 60s and 70s that still work... just not good enough for modern use. Anyway, what's the best flash that won't die?

I need bounce, swivel, colored filters, use with F/FA and higher lenses (mainly the FA31 1.8, FA77, FA50, F lenses, etc.), future use with slaves/secondary flashes.

Also...

What's the best PORTABLE lighting system for under $750? (I say $750 - cuz I have no idea what good lights cost! A friend said his STUDIO lights cost him $2500 but who knows.)

I can even build it myself... just need some advice! Looking for 2-3 light set-up etc. I'm new to lighting, and just know I need something great I can travel with. Something that will fit in a large backpack or suitcase, where I can take PORTRAITS in houses, at events, in rooms, etc. I get hired all the time to go on location, and need a lightweight, "small," lighting system I can take with. Again, I can order it pre-made or build one... whichever is better or cheaper or makes more sense... just need advice.

TIA!
Start here: Strobist: Lighting 101
06-05-2009, 11:46 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Seeing you're new to lighting, I suggest a cheap set of 150watt strobe package. Here in Manila, they're available for about $300 USD equivalent, with 3 150w strobes, stands, a softbox, an umbrella, a grid and barndoors and snoot.

Pretty compact and affordable. At $300 it's just a bit more expensive than a high end speedlight, but you get 3 lights to play with with the modifiers to experiment with.

I'm pretty sure you'll be able to find something like that in the US. Doesn't have to be an expensive or well-known name/brand.

I just had a big shoot the other day using just those cheap lights. I couldn't use my big lights because the shooting area was very tight. I didn't want to use my speedlights because I wanted the modeling light for the creative director I was working with. Great results at a very good price!

EDIT: Downside though is you're limited to shoot in areas that have power outlets.
06-05-2009, 01:11 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
If you want truly portable and are willing to put in the effort to learn a lot, a set of Cybersyncs + 3 good manual flashes would get you going (probably around $500-550 total). Add some gels, some (home made is cheap) snoots, grids etc for them, and you can do all sort of amazing stuff. You'll also need some stands/clamps/bungee cords to put them places. My setup that I tend to drag with me when needed is:

1 Cybersync transmitter
3 Cybersync receivers
1 Metz 58 (so I can use on-camera with TTL for bounce and such when needed)
2 Canon 540EZ flashes (can be run in all manual, LOTS of power, cost like $60 each used)
Ball bungee cords
2 light weight light stands with umbrella adapters and flash shoe mounts
A couple of umbrellas
A pile of mixed gels
A stofen pocket bouncer

Didn't cost a fortune and gives me a ton of options.