Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-06-2009, 01:48 PM   #1
Forum Member

Promaster flash help on k100d

I just got a Promaster FTD 7000M external flash unit. It was made for film cameras and is TTL (I know k100d is pttl) but a lot of people are using this flash with a lot of success. I read the manual but am not having any luck getting it to work right.

Do I need to do any special things to my camera before using? Set up any settings, change anything?

What mode is best (TTL auto, Manual, Multi, Model). I'm pretty sure I need either TTL or Manual. TTL seems to just fire at full power which I read would happen so I'm wondering how people were using this flash on an 'auto' mode..

Do I change the whitebalance to the flash setting? Keep ISO on 200?

Sorry, I knew this flash thing would be kind of tough getting used to so if anyone has any help I would appreciate it. Thanks!

06-06-2009, 03:36 PM   #2
Veteran Member

From what I know (not a lot BTW), the Promaster FTD 7000M does not has its own light sensor so it doesn't matter whether you set it at TTL or manual, it always fire at full power with Kxxx Pentax DSLRs.

You need to adjust the camera's ISO setting and the lens's aperture setting depending of the distance from the flash to the object.

The GN changes with ISO. Aperture setting = GN / distance.
06-06-2009, 04:15 PM   #3
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
From what I know (not a lot BTW), the Promaster FTD 7000M does not has its own light sensor so it doesn't matter whether you set it at TTL or manual, it always fire at full power with Kxxx Pentax DSLRs.

You need to adjust the camera's ISO setting and the lens's aperture setting depending of the distance from the flash to the object.

The GN changes with ISO. Aperture setting = GN / distance.

It doesn't have an Auto mode, so it is true manual. The 7000m does however let you adjust the power level in manual, from 1/1 tp 1/64, so it isn't only just the camera settings that can effect the exposure.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 06-09-2009 at 12:52 AM.
06-09-2009, 12:46 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
You are correct about being able to adjust the power level on the flash..but could someone give me some basic guidelines on adjusting the flash and my camera to get a properly exposed image..i dunno what i'm doing and all the pics seem washed out

06-09-2009, 03:50 AM   #5
Veteran Member

With the flash unit in manual mode and your camera in manual mode, start with an aperture of f5.6 and a shutter speed of 1/60. Experiment from there. Try adjusting the flash power settings, stop down to f8, change iso, change shutter speed.

Check this tutorial here: An Introduction to External Flash Units

At some point you will also want to learn about strobism: Strobist