Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-14-2009, 09:40 AM   #1
Inactive Account

How to get the Metz Mecablitz 15 MS-1 to work

Hi all,

I just spent the afternoon getting the Metz 15 MS-1 Macro flash to work with my K200D. Beginners stuff, but I just thought I'd post where the various settings are hidden so the next newbe like me can find it here. The manual is a bit terse.

The Metz functions as a wireless slave unit to the build-in flash.

On the K200D:

- Menu, Custom settings, Flash in Wireless mode : Off

This setting makes the build-in flash act as a controller only. It only sends out sync pulses but does not illuminate the subject. This avoids creating a shadow of your lens and allows you to operate the Metz without using the included 'infrared Clamp'

- Fn key, Flash mode (down arrow) : Wireless mode

Enables the wireless flash mode. Without this setting, the build-in flash works as a normal flash

On the Metz:

Select 'Pen Remote' and 'all channels'

Fun fact: the manual warns you to only use 'internal focussing objectives' to avoid overtaxing the AF engine with the weight of the unit. How many macro lenses out there are internal focussing?

It is a very light unit, so I'll just take my chances :-)

10-01-2009, 09:27 AM   #2

so, the p-ttl works?
so, it can use all mode ? A? S? AS? M?
10-02-2009, 03:27 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
so, the p-ttl works?
so, it can use all mode ? A? S? AS? M?
Yes, p-ttl works.
For the rest, I haven't used it manually but it should simply support everything the internal flash supports..
10-04-2009, 02:52 AM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by roelof Quote
Yes, p-ttl works.
For the rest, I haven't used it manually but it should simply support everything the internal flash supports..
can it used to shoot other subject? how about daily in-door shooting. is it power enough and wide enough?

10-04-2009, 04:18 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by yipchunyu Quote
can it used to shoot other subject? how about daily in-door shooting. is it power enough and wide enough?
The two flash tubes can be swiveled for 20 deg. , so you can play with the covered area.

I have not tried how wide it can get. Using it to augment the build in flash is not really practical, since the ringflash would generate a large shadow. And it only has a guide number of 15m.

All in all I would not recommend using a macro flash for regular in-door shooting. You would need to adjust the tubes manually and at best end up with a similar result as you can get automatically with the build-in flash.

You can use it as a separate slave flash. I once had someone hold it in their hand to illuminate the face from the side.
10-04-2009, 07:12 AM   #6

The two flash tubes can be swiveled for 20 deg. , so you can play with the covered area.

I have not tried how wide it can get. Using it to augment the build in flash is not really practical, since the ringflash would generate a large shadow. And it only has a guide number of 15m.

All in all I would not recommend using a macro flash for regular in-door shooting. You would need to adjust the tubes manually and at best end up with a similar result as you can get automatically with the build-in flash.

You can use it as a separate slave flash. I once had someone hold it in their hand to illuminate the face from the side.
many thx for your advice. i think it's too hard for the built in flash. I guess the ring flash share the same problem.
05-28-2013, 01:29 AM   #7

Photos: Albums
On the K200D:

- Menu, Custom settings, Flash in Wireless mode : Off

This setting makes the build-in flash act as a controller only. It only sends out sync pulses but does not illuminate the subject. This avoids creating a shadow of your lens and allows you to operate the Metz without using the included 'infrared Clamp'

- Fn key, Flash mode (down arrow) : Wireless mode

Enables the wireless flash mode. Without this setting, the build-in flash works as a normal flash

On the Metz:

Select 'Pen Remote' and 'all channels'
I've just set my K-5 and Metz 15 like above. I use a 100f2.8 macro FA lens.
The lens aperture is at A and I use aperture priority on my camera.
The shutter is 1/180 (X).

I changed the aperture, like f/8, f/11, f/16, the Metz fires normally,
but the exposure changes according to different apertures,
so it seems that TTL is not working.

Any idea what I've been missing?

Thanks a lot.