Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-25-2009, 06:20 PM   #16
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by HeavyD Quote
How are the Sigma ef-530 supers on the k10d?
I have the NON-Super version. Works well, as long as I remember that the "ready" light means "within 1 stop;" it doesn't mean it's 100% charged. But that was true with my Canon strobes, too.

06-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #17
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
One setting that could give you trouble that I don't see mentioned above - the flash needs to be set to SL-1, not SL-2.
Yes, it's set as slave 1.
06-26-2009, 02:49 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Duck Dodgers Quote
I have the NON-Super version. Works well, as long as I remember that the "ready" light means "within 1 stop;" it doesn't mean it's 100% charged. But that was true with my Canon strobes, too.
I just ordered an EF-530 DG ST from Abes. I hope the Sigma works.
06-26-2009, 12:12 PM   #19
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
No guys it isn't wireless i would opt for a contacts... even if it was it works as a master
I've used my AF540 as a slave, and later accidentally put the setting on wireless and gotten a similar result to what happened here. In my experience, the flash can be rather unreliable when unintentionally on the wireless setting.

06-26-2009, 12:45 PM   #20
graphicgr8s

Stupid question but you are using this as a wireless? Does pttl work in wireless mode?
06-26-2009, 01:06 PM   #21
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Stupid question but you are using this as a wireless? Does pttl work in wireless mode?
When I turn the camera and flash on in pttl mode the first shot comes out fine, after that there all dark. This happens wether the flash in on the camera or used in wireless mode. The flash works fine in A, auto mode where I set the ISO and Apeture manually. When in pttl the flash that goes off is not as powerfull as when it is in auto mode. Maybe it's the preflash and the main flash is not firing after the first shot. I guess I'll find out if it's a camera or flash issue when I get the Sigma flash.
06-26-2009, 01:30 PM   #22
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by graphicgr8s Quote
Pttl definitely works in wireless mode. I often set my built in flash as a control only and use it to control an AF540 wirelessly in PTTL mode.

06-27-2009, 07:29 AM   #23
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I've been using the flash in auto mode and used a Sto-fen omni bounce this morning. When I bounced the flash at 45 degrees off the ceiling the pics came out fine, but when I used it with the flash forward they came out black. I took the omni bounce off and the pics came out fine again. Something is really wrong with this flash.
06-27-2009, 08:14 PM   #24
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I don't understand why it's saying manual. Is the camera not recognizing the flash unit? I bought it off of ebay, maybe it's a dud. Here is how it's set up. I had to take the flash off the camera to take a pic.

Looks like you have the flash set to slave rather than master or controller ...try setting it to master ...although if not set to wireless, shouldn't make a difference.
06-27-2009, 08:51 PM   #25
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
I have the Sigma 530 Super and it needs between +1.5 to +2 stops compensation to work properly on pTTL. Here is a link to the earlier discussion of it.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/56877-underexpo...ing-wrong.html

Thanks,
06-28-2009, 06:55 AM   #26
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I read in the manual that when I change the flash compensation through the camera, it's suppose to change the value and show it on the flash lcd as well correct? It's not doing it. I get the Sigma flash tomorrow. I hope this is a flash issue and not a camera isssue.
06-28-2009, 09:37 PM   #27
Veteran Member

I read in the manual that when I change the flash compensation through the camera, it's suppose to change the value and show it on the flash lcd as well correct? .....
It doesn't, not with changing flash compensation on the flash itself.
It only shows when you set flash compensation on the camera, and its additive.
I.e. if you set +1 on the flash and +1 on the camera, you end up with +2 E/V flash power, assuming you haven't exceeded the maximum power of the flash. I found that out once when I heavily overexposed a shot, and only realised later I had forgotten about the +1 compensation set on the flash.
06-28-2009, 11:14 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I noticed that the format on the display is showing 35 mm.. set to digital and see

Neil
06-29-2009, 05:27 AM   #29
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by nulla Quote
I noticed that the format on the display is showing 35 mm.. set to digital and see

Neil
The camera sets the format to 35mm automatically in pttl mode. The flash has 3 format settings, 35mm, 647 and 67.
06-29-2009, 12:04 PM   #30
Veteran Member

The camera sets the format to 35mm automatically in pttl mode. The flash has 3 format settings, 35mm, 647 and 67.
Ok... I have the AF540... it has digital as option as well.

I would suggest you try this forum.

Flash Photography Forum - Pentax User

ask a chap named mattmatic... he is well versed on anything to do with flash photgraphy and I actually paid for his Flash Guide PDF which is very good... I have no connection to him and the site is an open forum.

Here to is his own site

Photography by Matthew Page

Cheers

Neil