Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-15-2006, 04:15 PM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Cool, thanks Peted

11-21-2006, 07:29 PM   #17

How well does the EF-500 DG Super work with the K100? I already ownt he Sigma and it works great with my DS, If I upgrade bodies I will probably be going for a K100.
11-25-2006, 08:06 AM   #18
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
My Sigma EF-500 DG Super report

Well, here is what I have learned about my Sigma EF-500 DG Super over the last week. I don't have time to go into detail or attach photos and I also did not do any technical shots. So here we go...

In one word....FANTASTIC!!! Yah you bet! I have tried it under various conditions just shooting around family and where we are staying on vacation and every single time the pictures have turned out so good that I am more than thrilled with the results.

As far as the mention that the flash makes noise when it adjusts the zoom to match the focal length of your lens, it does have a bit of a motorized sound when it adjust itself. It is very short as the flash does adjust very quickly. I did not find this to be bothersome and unless I was actually thinking about it, I did not notice it! This is a minor issue with this flash that should not deter you from purchasing it..

The digital illuminated LCD display is nice and is easy to read, and when illuminated, it is easily read in poor lighting conditions.

I was not expecting it to look this nice mounted on my Pentax istDL2, but let me tell you, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super / istD combination looks and feels real good!!

I also attached a version of "The Better Bounce Card" to it and compared the photos with and without the bounce card. Being such a powerfull flash, it does a great job when ceiling bouncing and also when shooting subjects that are further away.

I used to use rechargable Ni-cads (and still will for every day use), but from a recomendation on DPreview.com I purchased the Energizer e2 Lithium batteries at Sam's Club ($20 for 12) . This improved the camera's performance as you get 1.5 volts rather than the 1.25 with the rechargables.

The Energizer e2 Lithium batteries are much lighter in weight and so when you have 8 between your camera and flash, it helps keep it lighter.

In conclusion, the Sigma EF-500 DG Super is;
- money well spent
- works flawlessly
- highly recomended
- fun and easy to use

Mr. H
11-30-2006, 08:29 PM   #19

I use the Promaster Flash and have been very pleased with the results from my ist DS. While I shoot in manual mode 90% of the time, what I am finding when using the flash is to either shoot in Priority or Automatic mode for very good and quick shots!

Cul, Bill

12-02-2006, 12:11 PM   #20
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

You're on to something in your last paragraph; and that's also the answer to the harshness situation and other flash problems. More power is only part of the solution-the 360/540 option. You need something like this: Strobist: Lighting 101