Metz 58 AF-1 626.09%
Sigma EF-530 DG Super 28.70%
Promaster 7500EDF   00%
Other 521.74%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-05-2009, 01:53 PM   #1

* Best Flash for K20D? *

I'm sure this has been asked many times, but I looked, and couldn't find the answer.

Simply put... if price is no object... what's the BEST FLASH for my K20D?

I'm looking for all the bells as whistles... tilt/swivel/zoom, COMPATIBILITY/EASE of use, DURABILITY, etc.

I read all the reviews of the Pentax-made AF540FGZ, and it seems people complain about this one breaking all the time, so I'm afraid to buy it.

Simply put, I want the BEST COMPATIBLE flash for my K20D, that won't break and will last a LONG time (years), and I don't know which one to get!

Help!

Thanx!

07-05-2009, 02:49 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You may want to have a look at this article by our resident flash expert:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photography-articles/23109-comparing-curr...h-options.html

I've only got the Pentax flash from your list and can vouch for its excellent performance, though yes, it may not be the most durable unit around...
07-06-2009, 02:24 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I guess it would be whatever flash that the user has..not unless he bought all of those and compared them all using the K20D.
07-06-2009, 03:10 PM   #4
edl
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by PentaxForums-User Quote

I read all the reviews of the Pentax-made AF540FGZ, and it seems people complain about this one breaking all the time, so I'm afraid to buy it.
I think the only significant issue with the 540 is that the shoe "pin" gets stuck sometimes, making it extremely difficult to remove from the camera. You can remedy that issue by removing the pin.

I've used my 540 a fair amount and haven't had any issues with the flash falling out of the shoe without the pin. The mount is pretty secure.

As for durability, well, it's like most electronic equipment - if you drop it off a countertop it won't survive. If you take decent care of it you won't have any problems.

07-14-2009, 09:42 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Metz 48 AF-1 (which isn't on the list)
Smaller than the 58 and AF540 but still with tilt/swivel/zoom, plenty of power, great distribution, Metz light quality is excellent, and 4 second refresh after total discharge! Built like a tank (for a flash) as all Metz units are. So, IMHO, thanks to it's lower size, weight, refresh time, and lower overall level of complexity, it beats the 58 AF-1 for the K20D even when price is no object.

Much like the Pentax primes, "bigger/ fancier/ more expensive is not always better."
07-14-2009, 03:42 PM   #6
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I've had my AF540's pin get stuck before and resolved to take the hotshoe adapter apart to remove that stupid pin before it causes damage to the camera's hotshoe. I'd go as far to suggest it to all who have had an inkling of tightness trying to remove this flash from their cameras... akin to doing a routine appendicitis on someone with enough clinical suspicion of the condition...
07-14-2009, 04:15 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by panoguy Quote
Metz 48 AF-1 (which isn't on the list)
This one does not have Auto mode.

That means it can only work in M mode if the setup includes a lens older than PKA mount. In other words, if the lens has an aperture ring and the aperture ring does not have "A" setting, you can use the flash only in M mode.

You will need to adjust the lens's aperture and the camera's ISO setting depending on the distance from camera to subject - not impossible, but clumsy.

It does have manual variable output settings, but is still not optimal in fast shooting condition.

Same thing applies if you use the flash on a camera that is not Pentax.

I'd rather buy a flash with Auto mode and no P-TTL mode, than a flash with P-TTL mode and no Auto mode.