Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-09-2009, 05:16 PM   #16

Please not the LumoPro. Those things are not made to last. I don't own one, but i highly highly doubt they will last very long at all. I have a Vivitar 285HV and I like it very much. Mine actually has a problem with the sync port, but i think it is a very uncommon problem. Otherwise i love it. For my strobism, i have that hooked up to a Quantum radio trigger. Then i have a Sunpak 433D latched onto a Wein hot shoe slave. (Then, when necessary, a Vivitar 4600 w/ built-in slave)

I only use these things manually. Never ever will I use them on auto. It just doesn't make any sense; it's not TTL. So my answer to you is yes, it is perfectly okay to mix and match flashes. I do all the time

07-10-2009, 02:45 AM   #17
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
Part of the reason for the lower power is to provide nearly instantaneous recycle time.

What is the recycle time of the AF200T, and is it adjustable?
I'd have to go measure the recycle time. Probably not great for shooting an impatient model, but fine for leisurely shooting. Power is adjustable full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 manually and there are two auto levels.

I don't deny that more powerful flashes have advantages, and I don't claim the AF200T is ideal for all situations. But with easily adjustable power output, auto levels, small size, and a price of between $10 and $20 I think they're damned hard to beat.
07-10-2009, 10:39 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Mike Cash Quote
I'd have to go measure the recycle time. Probably not great for shooting an impatient model, but fine for leisurely shooting. Power is adjustable full, 1/2, 1/4, and 1/8 manually and there are two auto levels.

I don't deny that more powerful flashes have advantages, and I don't claim the AF200T is ideal for all situations. But with easily adjustable power output, auto levels, small size, and a price of between $10 and $20 I think they're damned hard to beat.
If that flash had AF assist, I'm be snapping them up in a heartbeat. It is a deal.
07-10-2009, 11:24 AM   #19
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
If that flash had AF assist, I'm be snapping them up in a heartbeat. It is a deal.
If you are referring to the AF200T - no, it does not have AF assist.

In fact, none of the AFxxxC (x: numeric, C: alpha) flash units does. I think AF in this case stands for Auto Flash, not Auto Focus.

The AF200T and AF280T, however, do communicate ISO and aperture settings with Pentax DSLRs.

Don't buy the S (e.g. AF200S) series. The communication is there, but is wrong!

07-12-2009, 05:42 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by SOldBear Quote
If you are referring to the AF200T - no, it does not have AF assist.

In fact, none of the AFxxxC (x: numeric, C: alpha) flash units does. I think AF in this case stands for Auto Flash, not Auto Focus.

The AF200T and AF280T, however, do communicate ISO and aperture settings with Pentax DSLRs.

Don't buy the S (e.g. AF200S) series. The communication is there, but is wrong!
AF 540 and AF 360 are the only Pentax units that provide AF assist on the K10 or K20. On rethinking, I do agree that 20 bucks for a unit that has variable power built in is a pretty good deal for strobist work, regardings of whether it can communicate with the camera or not. that is less than VP-1 modules go for on Ebay.