Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-10-2009, 08:22 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Any threads for newbies about flashes?

Iīm trying to get any sence of what all things means when talking about flashes (not the cameraīs own (K20D)). I am thinking about bying one later on, perhaps in the autumn when it gets darker. Want tilt/swivel-function. Want to work also manual.

My wonderings:
- What does it mean to work wireless with a flash?
- Is it even possible to work wireless with just one flash (exept for the cameraīs own)?
- With which flashes is it possible to work wireless (off the camera)?
- What do I need to work wireless?

I donīt understand the differences between P-TTL and TTL.

Iīve read this page, but it doesnīt helped me so much. Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide

Thanx a lot for your answers!!

07-10-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am not an expert but am happy to share what I know that answers some of your questions.

-What does it mean to work wireless with a flash?
(A) Simply that an off-camera flash is controlled by the camera but not connected by wire. The control may be by pre-flashes from the built-in to an off-camera flash. Or it can be via radio signal by using add-on controller/receivers to camera and flash.

-Is it even possible to work wireless with just one flash
(A) Yes, I do all the time. My K20D built-in flash that starts when it flashes, starts the slave flash also. The slave must be able to see the first flash in order to function. I can have the slave flash on a bracket only 20cm from the camera body for macro shots when using both flashes, or have the slave flash on the other side of the room for portrait lighting.

-With which flashes is it possible to work wireless?
(A) I can't give you a complete list. The Guide you mentioned is a good start if you are looking at Pentax compatible wireless without buying radio signal gear.

-What do I need to work wireless?
(A) To start, only your K20D set in wireless flash mode and a Pentax compatible (see the Guide) off-camera flash set in slave mode.

P-TTL is simply the Pentax version of TTL (Through The Lens). I have never researched the technical differences. I will have to leave that for you to look up and post for me to learn.

The Guide is probably most helpful as a shopping guide once you understand the terminology and technology. Come back to it in a week. As far as the terminology, Wikepedia and Google are your friends as well as old threads in this Forum.
07-10-2009, 11:41 AM   #3
HeG

Original Poster
Oh, thanx for your answers, imtheguy!

What kind of flash do you have?

I am looking for a quite cheap flash, that can work wireless. But I am not sure should I already now look for a more "complex" one or is it enough with a flash that work wireless andh have tilt/swivel-function and work manual.

I have tried to read the site I wrote about, which Pentax and which Metz can work wireless (one wireless flash on the table with the camera across the room). But donīt get it...
If I have understood it right, for example with Metz 48 you canīt work wireless (you have to have a cable between the camera and the flash), or am I totally wrong?
And what about Pentax own flashes, which ones work wireless as wrote above?
07-10-2009, 11:56 AM   #4
Site Supporter

I have the Metz 48. No wire is needed as long as the sensor on the front of the Metz can clearly see the light from the camera built-in flash. Any communication required between the camera and Metz is handled by pre-flashes from the camera (the Master) to the Metz (the Slave).

Pentax flashes work wireless but add in tilt/swivel and you are at the top model and expensive.

Don't know your definition of "cheap". Tilt+swivel+wireless+P-TTL is nobody's low end model.

07-10-2009, 12:35 PM   #5
HeG

Original Poster
okidoki!

How far, about, can the flash then be from the camera so that the "the Metz can clearly see the light" (talking about 1-2 meters or 5-10 meters)? Does the Metz 48 have the Tilt+swivel+wireless+P-TTL? Iīm talking prices about Metz 48.

Heard that Metz are better than Pentax, why?
07-10-2009, 01:01 PM   #6
Site Supporter

I don't know the max range and have only used it as far as across a room; about 3m.

The Guide has the answers to your questions about the Metz 48 so you should refer to it for shopping, but yes, it has all those features. You need to check current prices, I don't know that.

I have not ever heard that either flash is superior to the other but as far as features, only the top of the line Pentax 540 has swivel head and that costs more than the Metz 48 with swivel. Of course, the Pentax 540 has more power and features but thats only worth something if you need them. Please read the Guide to help you select a couple units to choose from.
07-10-2009, 01:14 PM   #7
Veteran Member

HeG,

I'm not talking about any flash unit in specific, but in my experience:

- If you want to use flash manually, buy a flash with variable power setting (e.g. full, 1/2, 1/4, ...).

- For more flexibility, buy a flash with "auto" setting (having its own light sensor and thyristor circuitry). I would not buy any flash unit without this feature.

Most high-end flash units (e.g. Pentax 540, Metz 58) have both features.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-10-2009 at 02:27 PM.
07-10-2009, 05:04 PM   #8
Veteran Member

There are a number of threads if you search. There is also the Strobist articles for self-study: Strobist: Lighting 101 Dave
07-12-2009, 07:47 AM   #9
HeG

Original Poster
Thanx everone for your answers.

I think Iīm more interested knowing if the Metz 48 is the one for me or not. (I had heard that it canīt work wireless, and I want such flash). And I do think more and more that it is the one Iīll buy later on.
Even though I havenīt got so much experience of to what you acctually need a flash. Exept for taken pics indoors (especially in the winter).

I havenīt had time for checking so much out about more threads of the subject, buzy as I am. Therefor my question.
07-12-2009, 08:36 AM   #10
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by HeG Quote
Thanx everone for your answers.

I think Iīm more interested knowing if the Metz 48 is the one for me or not. (I had heard that it canīt work wireless, and I want such flash).
The confusion may arise from the fact that the Metz 48 works quite well as a wireless flash in slave mode but not in master mode. In other words, it needs the camera body or another flash gun present to be the master. I use the camera body even if the built-in camera flash may be turned off for the picture, it can still direct the off camera Metz 48

Good luck with your shopping.
07-17-2009, 06:37 AM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by HeG Quote
I am thinking about buying one later on, perhaps in the autumn when it gets darker.
Keep in mind that flash can also be used to make a scene darker.

For example, this photo was taken outside in broad daylight:

Pentax K20D
SMC Takumar 55/1.8

Here is a plain old photo showing what the setup for something like that looks like. As you can see.....broad daylight:

The flash unit used was a single Pentax AF200T from the 1980s. I have one I bought for $10 and another picked up for $20.