Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-16-2009, 12:02 PM   #1

Best inexpensive flash with these features...

I've been looking for a good flash to use instead of my K100D Super's built-in unit.

It's been a while since my last photo course, and I'm having a hard time remembering how to compare flashes and their features.

But my must have features are:
  • Good compatibility with K100D Super
  • Rotate AND swivel head
  • Rear curtain sync
  • Some form of AUTO mode
  • Wireless / slave possibility

It would also be nice to have an AF assist lamp feature.

I'm looking for something cheap and likely used on eBay, preferably $100 or under. I don't care how old school. I'm not a pro, and I don't need the fanciest or best out there.

Any ideas on a good, well-rounded flash that has these features?

07-16-2009, 02:02 PM   #2
YJD
Veteran Member

I'm interested in the answers you will get. I'm looking into buying another cheap flash with most of the feature s you are describing.

I think one of the Sunpak could do what you are looking for, but don't remember which one.
07-16-2009, 02:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I don't think there exists any flash unit $100 or under having all the "must have" features in your list, in parcular:
  • Rear curtain sync
  • AF assist lamp

If you can't or don't want to spend a good chunk of money right now, my recommendation is to find a decent flash (may be used) with:
  • Auto mode
  • Variable manual output
  • Tilt and/or swivel head

Even you'll buy a full-featured dedicated flash (e.g. Pentax 540, Metz 58) later on, you can still use this flash.
07-16-2009, 03:24 PM   #4
YJD
Veteran Member

I found that one on eBay but don't know if it is any good: Sunpak Mz-440AF. It seems to have the following:
  • Rotate AND swivel head
Might have AUTO mode but not sure, hard to get specification on that one, but it is in your price ranch. Also look on eBay, you might found an older flash that could do the job for you.

Look at Metz, they do really good flash from what I haev heared.

07-16-2009, 03:43 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by YJD Quote
I found that one on eBay but don't know if it is any good: Sunpak Mz-440AF.....
Among the features on the list, the only thing the Sunpak Mz-440AF has is:
  • Rotate AND swivel head

The only mode it supports is TTL. In other words, on the Pentax digital K cameras (K100D, K200D, K10D, ....), this flash is a manual flash, always firing at full power.

Last edited by SOldBear; 07-17-2009 at 12:46 PM.
07-16-2009, 09:45 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by jhonny0099 Quote
I've been looking for a good flash to use instead of my K100D Super's built-in unit.

It's been a while since my last photo course, and I'm having a hard time remembering how to compare flashes and their features.

But my must have features are:
  • Rotate AND swivel head
  • Rear curtain sync
  • Some form of AUTO mode

It would also be nice to have an AF assist lamp feature.

I'm looking for something cheap and likely used on eBay, preferably $100 or under. I don't care how old school. I'm not a pro, and I don't need the fanciest or best out there.

Any ideas on a good, well-rounded flash that has these features?
Check it:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/65812-pentax-df-383-review.html

Read the entire review as the 383 cost $129.

I copied a couple of others that are less then that at the end of the review.

No wireless capability, however.

Last edited by res3567; 07-16-2009 at 09:55 PM.
07-17-2009, 06:03 AM   #7

Original Poster
Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also wondering about the Pentax AF 280T. This has bounce and swivel, and an auto mode. But besides that, it looks pretty bare bones. But at $16 on ebay, may not be bad. Although I'm not sure the auto mode would work.

My question is, do our Pentax cameras require P-TTL in order to work correctly? It seems like most people say that a normal TTL flash will always fire at full power.

It's been such a long time since I used an external flash, I don't remember how a manual flash works. If I meter for the scene, and use a flash, how do I account for all the extra light coming from the flash? Seems kind of unpredictable. I know the camera's flash sync speed is 1/180th, but I don't know what means exactly.

If it were P-TTL, would my camera's meter take that into account for the exposure so I can choose the right SS and A?

07-17-2009, 06:10 AM   #8
YJD
Veteran Member

I have the AF280T and the K100D Super and I love it for its price and it has lots of power with using too much battery life.

About the Sunpak MZ-440AF and looking at it, it does look like it does have wireless. But when I say it had Rear curtain sync, I was wrong I should have removed it from the list.
07-17-2009, 06:57 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Thanks for the suggestions.

I was also wondering about the Pentax AF 280T. This has bounce and swivel, and an auto mode. But besides that, it looks pretty bare bones. But at $16 on ebay, may not be bad. Although I'm not sure the auto mode would work.

My question is, do our Pentax cameras require P-TTL in order to work correctly? It seems like most people say that a normal TTL flash will always fire at full power.

It's been such a long time since I used an external flash, I don't remember how a manual flash works. If I meter for the scene, and use a flash, how do I account for all the extra light coming from the flash? Seems kind of unpredictable. I know the camera's flash sync speed is 1/180th, but I don't know what means exactly.

If it were P-TTL, would my camera's meter take that into account for the exposure so I can choose the right SS and A?
Read this:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/41284-af-280t-questions.html
07-17-2009, 12:17 PM   #10

Original Poster
Earlier when I said "wireless", I really meant that I wanted to be able to remotely trigger. I'm not looking for any fancy radio technology, I'm looking for a slave mode that fires when it detects your camera's internal flash fire.

But it seems hard to tell by the specs if flashes have that feature. Does anyone know the name of what I should be looking for? Is it just "slave"?

I see a lot of flashes with the red lens in front. I always assumed that was an AF lamp, but maybe it's a IR sensor?
07-17-2009, 01:29 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I've always enjoyed the Sunpak 383. It's powerful and has tilt and swivel. It's not TTL, but it does have an auto function - which would be all you could use unless you got a P-TTL flash. As far as an optical trigger, you could buy a peanut from wein for about $20 or if your crafty you could build one from a $1 solar calculator and three electrical componets for ~$2. I made one and enclosed it in an old plastic film canister. Otherwise, I would keep my eyes peeled on the marketplace for a used 360 and get everything you wanted except swivel.
07-17-2009, 06:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

Earlier when I said "wireless", I really meant that I wanted to be able to remotely trigger. I'm not looking for any fancy radio technology, I'm looking for a slave mode that fires when it detects your camera's internal flash fire.

But it seems hard to tell by the specs if flashes have that feature. Does anyone know the name of what I should be looking for? Is it just "slave"?

I see a lot of flashes with the red lens in front. I always assumed that was an AF lamp, but maybe it's a IR sensor?

The Vivitar 383 I referred you to has the slave fuction.
07-17-2009, 07:04 PM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
The Vivitar 383 I referred you to has the slave fuction.
Does it have a "smart" slave that won't be prematurely triggered by the p-ttl preflash from the built-in flash?
07-17-2009, 11:28 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Does it have a "smart" slave that won't be prematurely triggered by the p-ttl preflash from the built-in flash?
Did a series of tests and I can say no. Is there a way to disable the pre-flash of the built in flash?

I thought manual mode would do it but it did not. I even tried the X-sync and that did not work.
07-20-2009, 08:30 AM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by res3567 Quote
Did a series of tests and I can say no. Is there a way to disable the pre-flash of the built in flash?

I thought manual mode would do it but it did not. I even tried the X-sync and that did not work.
The only way I know of to have the on board flash fire without preflash is to manually set the aperture on a lens via the aperture ring, or use a non A lens. The on board flash will fire at full power.

Thank you
Russell