Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-19-2009, 06:36 PM   #1

sigma 530 super vs metz 48

i'm looking into getting my first flash and cant decide between the sigma ef-530dg(Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Sigma EF-530 DG Super) super and the metz 48 af-1(Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: Metz Mecablitz 48 AF-1 Digital). they both seem to be on about the same level of performance (function wise) with the sigma a bit stronger, but also more confusing. it seems like the sigma also doesnt have as much fine tuning when it comes to output level. also the sigma is listed as doing wireless and wireless p-ttl, but the metz is only listed as wireless p-ttl slave- is this what they talked about when they say the metz cannot be used as a master/controller?
i dont know too much about flash but i'm trying to get into it and ill likely be using the flash on a pc cord and maybe the new cactus v4s since theyre so cheap and it would let me learn a lot about flash quickly
thanks for all help

07-20-2009, 08:23 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The Metz 58 can be used as a master and the 48 is a slave only.
07-20-2009, 12:54 PM   #3

Original Poster
the 58 is a bit out of my price range. would you suggest the sigma 530 super over the metz 48?
07-25-2009, 12:43 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was in the same situation - needed a flash: Pentax 360 was too lame, Pentax 540 and Metz 58 too expensive.
So it was Metz 48 vs Sigma 530 (Super). I decided to go for the Metz after I read about several failures of the Sigma due to poor build quality (and other things I don't remember). Also to consider for future cameras: the Metz has an USB-port for firmware upgrades.

Controls on the Metz aren't that great with only 4 buttons but it works although you can't press 2 buttons simultaneously when holding the camera.

If you are still searching for one you should really search the web (which I'm sure you have probably already done) because fortunately there are a lot of people with the same choice.

This is the first external flash I have bought so I can't say how it compares but I would definitely buy it again.

07-27-2009, 01:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
....and metz is stronger than sigma - i was comparing both on max manual mode...
07-29-2009, 11:43 AM   #6

QuoteOriginally posted by Egg Salad Quote
I was in the same situation - needed a flash: Pentax 360 was too lame, Pentax 540 and Metz 58 too expensive.
So it was Metz 48 vs Sigma 530 (Super). I decided to go for the Metz after I read about several failures of the Sigma due to poor build quality (and other things I don't remember).

This is the first external flash I have bought so I can't say how it compares but I would definitely buy it again.
Ditto! (Though I had other reasons for not going with the Pentax 540...)
I read that there are compatibility issues with the Sigma and that the Metz was more reliable in that department.

So I went for the Metz 48, and so far, so good. This is also my first flash, ever. So there's a lot to learn, yet.

On an aside- I bought Rayovac Hybrid (pre-charged rechargeables/very comparable to Eneloops!) batteries and they are doing quite well with my new flash. Good rechargeables are important when you're using 4 AAs at a time!
07-29-2009, 12:14 PM   #7

I am in the same position as the OP. I wanted to get a dedicated flash with possibility of getting another one to use in a Master/slave combination to use HSS. If the Metz 48 could be the master then i would have gotten it.

The cheapest flash combination, that I've found, for off camera hss is 2 530 supers. For Metz i would need at least one 58 with a 48, and for that price I could get 3 sigma supers.

If the quality of my sigma is sub par I may return it a get the metz but hopefully it works out for me.

09-14-2010, 09:17 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by filorp Quote
....and metz is stronger than sigma - i was comparing both on max manual mode...

Is this actually true? Do the guide numbers lie?
09-14-2010, 09:34 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jawn doe Quote
i'm looking into getting my first flash and cant decide between the sigma ef-530dg . . . and the metz 48 af-1
You might want to wait a couple of weeks for the release of Metz's replacement model for the Metz 48 AF-1, the 50 AF-1 described here. Besides more power and other improvements over the 48 AF-1, the new metal base should make it more durable and easier to mount.

09-19-2010, 11:08 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Also, the Metz 48 is a bit more compact than the Sigma as well as being more powerful. I rarely use my Sig Super because it doubles the size of the camera including the grip. I do however use the Super when I want to use wireless TTL in bright environments.
I never thought that the Sigma had bad build quality tho. Mine seems pretty sturdy. Probably more sturdy than my Pentax 540
09-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Eruditass Quote
Is this actually true? Do the guide numbers lie?
In case anyone was interested, I tested the DG 500 Super and metz 48 at 1/1, and the 500 Super is indeed more powerful.

the metz 48 did have a significantly faster recycle time, but then again it was less powerful and I don't have a good way to test the same power recycle times.

Also, the 500 aims the AF assist notably above center, and perhaps as a result, the K-x struggles in dark with it, while the metz 48 works quite well. And the Spot beam mode (af-assist only) is useful but the sigma does the same thing in iso adjust mode.

The Sigma has multi mode, though.

Last edited by Eruditass; 09-20-2010 at 08:17 PM.
09-20-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by oshua Quote
I am in the same position as the OP. I wanted to get a dedicated flash with possibility of getting another one to use in a Master/slave combination to use HSS. If the Metz 48 could be the master then i would have gotten it.

The cheapest flash combination, that I've found, for off camera hss is 2 530 supers. For Metz i would need at least one 58 with a 48, and for that price I could get 3 sigma supers.

If the quality of my sigma is sub par I may return it a get the metz but hopefully it works out for me.
My personal preference would be one Sigma 530 Super and one Metz 48 AF-1. The reason for the Sigma 530 Super is that the Metz 48 can't be a master/controller. the reason for the Metz 48 is that the Sigma 530 Super can't turn off its auto power off feature. This makes it pretty hard to work with in radio triggers. The reason for wanting radios trigger use is day light use, range, and also the ability to use the flash manually off the camera. Neither the Sigma or Metz have a wireless manual mode.

The Metz 48 has an advantage over other flashes in that it can be used in manual mode in any camera mode. This can't be said of any other P-TTL flash except the Metz 58.

Thank you
Russell
09-21-2010, 09:52 AM   #13
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
The Metz 48 has an advantage over other flashes in that it can be used in manual mode in any camera mode. This can't be said of any other P-TTL flash except the Metz 58.
Hey Russell -- what camera modes can the Sigma Super flashes work in manual? Thanks.
09-21-2010, 06:10 PM   #14
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Hey Russell -- what camera modes can the Sigma Super flashes work in manual? Thanks.
From a thread here or on DPR, the Sigma flash is only manual only in the manual, bulb, X, modes on the camera. This is like the Pentax flashes and a lot of older TTL flashes where the flashes see the digital signal and revert to TTL or P-TTL in any of the camera's auto modes. The Metz flashes seems to ignore the camera mode completely, so will work in all modes as a manual flash. In Av mode setting the flash mode on the camera to slow sync and using the flash in manual will allow for using spot, center weighted, or matrix metering. Mostly this is just useful for me for AE-L with spot metering. I haven't used this much in any other mode so I'm not sure of it's advantage there.

Is this contrary to what you have in your guide?

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 09-21-2010 at 06:27 PM.
09-21-2010, 07:01 PM   #15
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
Is this contrary to what you have in your guide?
Not at all, in the sense that I don't really mention that at all. Onto the todo list it goes.