Pentax AF540 2244.00%
Metz 58 2754.00%
Other - Please specify below 12.00%
Voters: 50. You may not vote on this poll

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-22-2009, 10:24 AM   #1
Veteran Member

K7 and Flash, AF540 or Metz 58?

I am purchasing a new K7 within the next month. I currently have the Sigma 530DG Super, but it drains batteries when the swith is "off", and the menu is terrible. I'm selling the flash with my K10D so I need an upgrade.

I'm looking at either the Pentax AF540 ot the Metz 58. Price is not an issue. I' looking for opions on which has the best user friendly menus and buttons, and which is the best for wireless flash triggering from the K7. I use wireless mode more than 50% of the time.

I under stand that the AF540 would be a step down in guide number from my current Sigma, but I'm willing to let that go for a better unit all around if the Metz isn't up to par.

Thank you in advance.

07-24-2009, 10:51 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
2 votes, no comments... Anyone?
07-27-2009, 03:07 PM   #3

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentax_XTC Quote
I' looking for opions on which has the best user friendly menus and buttons
I think 540's control layout is much better than metz' menu system. But metz 58 has some additional features like secondary reflector that AF540 doesn't have, and it's more powerful at telephoto position (more "focused power"), has less recharge time.
and which is the best for wireless flash triggering from the K7.
Both AF540 and metz 58 support all wireless PTTL features. Metz 48 cannot act as a controller/master.
I under stand that the AF540 would be a step down in guide number from my current Sigma
Actually, that's not true. AF540 is more powerful than Sigma.

P.S. Have you read this guide? I think it should be useful.
08-01-2009, 12:42 PM   #4
Veteran Member

I was not happy with the AF540 till I got my K-7 and only used it when really needed... now its a different story I am exploring ways of using and improving my flash techniques

K-7 is just wonderful in flash mode.

I cannot say that the Metz would be a better choice or not, all I can say is that you will be happy with the AF540 and I have seen similar comments re K-7 and falsh in these forums

Cheers

Neil

08-02-2009, 12:32 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I can't really say much on both but I am getting a Metz 48 and I heard the 58 was a improved version. I still voted for the 540fgz since it's Pentax branded and it's the top right now from Pentax.
08-08-2009, 08:54 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I mostly use bounce flash and I will be getting a LumiQuest Quikbouce as well. Are there any distinct advantages one would have over another? Also shortly after I will be purchasing an umbrella and stand to use with it for portraits.
08-09-2009, 09:33 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by mut@NT Quote
P.S. Have you read this guide? I think it should be useful.
Thanks.

Particularly, I think the flash burst profiles are good for comparing the power, if (like many photographers, I think) it's easier for you to grok a visual representation than a matrix of numbers. This basically shows the breadth and distance of coverage at each flash zoom step. Of course, light doesn't really work like this so the hard edges are a fiction, but it I think it makes a good visualization.

I think either the Metz 58 AF-1 or Pentax AF540FGZ is a really good choice. One complaint people have with the 58 AF-1 is that the wireless sensor is on one side of the unit, so you have to be aware of that when positioning it. And the menu system takes a little getting used to — it's good, and intuitive enough that you don't really need the manual, but unlike the Pentax flash you don't have direct controls for most things. On the other hand, it's definitely the most featureful and flexible option.

08-09-2009, 08:30 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks mattdm. I think after hearing everything from all the posters here I'm going with the Pentax AF540. The location of the wireless sensor and the hard buttons for most functions seems to be my deciding factors. Also the $40 price difference does hurt either.
01-31-2010, 06:26 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Metz has not stuck to my Pentaxes

I like my 58, a lot, but I think there's a K-X problem someplace. Even at P or auto, it's properly exposing but using 1/15 a lot. A lot.

I know the flash and camera are communicating at some level as I see and hear the flash changing focal length with the lens.

Probably a camera problem .... more research!
02-10-2010, 10:00 PM   #10
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by glanglois Quote
I like my 58, a lot, but I think there's a K-X problem someplace. Even at P or auto, it's properly exposing but using 1/15 a lot. A lot.

I know the flash and camera are communicating at some level as I see and hear the flash changing focal length with the lens.

Probably a camera problem .... more research!
Use manual mode. I noticed my K-X also uses slow shutter speeds when an external flashed is used. With my K200D in P mode I would usually get shutter speeds of 1/60, 1/80.