Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-23-2009, 01:41 AM   #1

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Shooting with external flash

Hi,

I'm using the k20d camera for more than 1 year and I'm very satisfied with it. This is my first SLR camera. But one thing I can't understand - how to operate with external flash. I've got Metz 58 AF-1 which is very good and powerfool flash but lot of my shots are under exposed. Especially when I'm trying to bounce flash light from ceiling.
May be I should use some special angle? May be I should use bouncer card? Which mode I should use - P-TTL or A mode? How to operate properly with flash settings? Help me, please!

07-23-2009, 02:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo Quote
Hi,

I'm using the k20d camera for more than 1 year and I'm very satisfied with it. This is my first SLR camera. But one thing I can't understand - how to operate with external flash. I've got Metz 58 AF-1 which is very good and powerfool flash but lot of my shots are under exposed. Especially when I'm trying to bounce flash light from ceiling.
May be I should use some special angle? May be I should use bouncer card? Which mode I should use - P-TTL or A mode? How to operate properly with flash settings? Help me, please!
Set to AV mode
Try using on your K20 settings FN/flash/slow speed sync/ rear dial to set the +/- and try -1 ev or -2.0 ev exposure compensation.

dont forget though to set back to normal when not in flash mode.

footnote
Sinced having a K-7 my flash nightmares have gone

Neil
07-23-2009, 05:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter

I use a K20K and Metz 48 with bounce almost always. The 48 does not support Auto mode so I use only P-TTL. For shooting people seated or standing with 8' white ceilings I use default flash output and flash WB with the flash aimed about 15 degrees forward from straight up. On 10' ceilings I pump the flash output by 0.7 usually. If the subjects are on the floor like kids or small pets, I switch to direct illumination with a diffuser to get decent light.

You don't say what camera mode you are shooting in so I recommend trying at least Green, A and M with the last 2 modes set to 400 ISO. These may not be the best settings for your circumstances but for testing its just to make sure you are not stuck in a rut someplace while you look for good exposure.

If your 58 supports Auto mode and you can not get the camera to expose properly in P-TTL, look for threads with SOldBear in them recently as he is an advocate for Auto mode where as I have never used it. You may want to give Auto (which is not actually "automatic") a whirl. Read your docs.
07-23-2009, 06:51 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
Hi Ivo,
I had similar problem with k200 and 48 AF-1. I mostly use Lightsphere. I experimented and found solution as others suggested: Av, wider aper. and flash EV +.3-.5
Good luck,

07-23-2009, 07:10 AM   #5
Veteran Member

I'll find some links for you later. Else already some good advice
07-23-2009, 08:41 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Sometimes it also helps to set the ISO manually. When I first bought a K10d a couple of years ago, I would get lots of underexposed flash shots when I let the camera do everything. When I would look at the EXIF on these shots, I would see that the camera had set the ISO so low that it would take a huge amount of power--more than even the AF540 had--to light the room in a way that did not make the photo appear dark overall.
07-23-2009, 09:51 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by GeneV Quote
Sometimes it also helps to set the ISO manually. When I first bought a K10d a couple of years ago, I would get lots of underexposed flash shots when I let the camera do everything. When I would look at the EXIF on these shots, I would see that the camera had set the ISO so low that it would take a huge amount of power--more than even the AF540 had--to light the room in a way that did not make the photo appear dark overall.
Same here. I boost the ISO to 400 if use a diffuser or bounce the flash.

07-23-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by audiobomber Quote
Same here. I boost the ISO to 400 if use a diffuser or bounce the flash.
Especially since I moved to the K20, there is no reason not to use at least ISO 400 for bounce.
07-23-2009, 01:00 PM   #9
Ivo

Original Poster
Thank You. I'm mainly using Av mode with ISO 200. As I understood one of my problems is too low iso setting. But witch mode for flash is more recommended - P-TTL or A mode?
07-23-2009, 03:33 PM   #10
Veteran Member

Use P-TTL if it supports it and just add EV compensation as others have said.
Find the right EV compensation for the shot you want/need.
07-26-2009, 02:11 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ivo Quote
Thank You. I'm mainly using Av mode with ISO 200. As I understood one of my problems is too low iso setting. But witch mode for flash is more recommended - P-TTL or A mode?
Both should work. And I also believe you can add extra EV directly via the flash's output bar.

here is a thread that míght help :
540 let me down Christmas Day [Page 1]: Pentax SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review