Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2009, 08:59 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Metz 48 flash noob! Please help :)

Hello fellow Pentaxians, I haven't posted here in ages, but do browse through from time to time. This forum is a serious wealth of information and inspiration.

Having learned how to handle/manipulate most natural/ambient light situations, I'd been dying to take the plunge into flash photography- specifically off-camera flash, as inspired by Strobist.com and everyone's photos on the accompanying Flickr group.

With the help of this handy guide I ended up purchasing my first strobe from B&H, the Mezt 48, and it finally arrived today! I have to say, I had no idea what to expect as I have never used anything other than the very limiting on-board flash. So far, I have been playing with it mounted to my K10D, and I love the results from bouncing it off the ceiling (in Auto). Apart from that, I am pretty lost. I read the manual and understand that I should be able to fire this flash wirelessly, I just can't figure out how to do so.

I set my camera to wireless flash mode (I hope I did that much right, please tell me if I'm missing something here), but I don't know how to set the flash to slave mode. If anyone can give me step-by-step directions for this, I would greatly appreciate it!

I was also wondering if you can use the flash wirelessly without firing the pop-up as the trigger. I mean, I was curious if the IR sensor on the camera could fire the flash, like a remote can fire the camera... just a thought. The flexibility would be nice. (Although the placement of the hand would generally be right over that sensor...) Also, if there is another way to achieve this, I'd love to know. Again, I would love explicit directions for any of this. The Metz manual hasn't been too useful to me, and my K10D manual is boxed up in storage- who knew I'd need to refer to it again!?

Thank you for reading, I appreciate any feedback... hopefully this post can help someone else in the future, too.

I also want to state that, I have searched these forums for an answer to my questions, but can't seem to find the exact answers- if you happen to know of a previous post that can help me, please link me

07-28-2009, 09:08 PM   #2
TDN
Forum Member

First off, you made a good choice for a flash! I have the same one since a few weeks, and after having the Sigma counterpart (pricewise), the 530 ST, I have to say that this one is just 10x better!

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
I set my camera to wireless flash mode (I hope I did that much right, please tell me if I'm missing something here), but I don't know how to set the flash to slave mode. If anyone can give me step-by-step directions for this, I would greatly appreciate it!
You set the camera to the wireless flash mode idd. Then you open the popup flash.
To set the flash to wireless slave mode, push both the + and - buttons together. You will see a few option pass the LCD screen. Keep pushing both buttons until you see "SL off" on the screen. Then push the + button only, so that it changes to "SL on".
The red autofocus assist light on the front of the flash should start blinking now. Your flash is now in wireless slave mode

I was also wondering if you can use the flash wirelessly without firing the pop-up as the trigger.
No.

Have fun with the flash!

Tom
07-28-2009, 09:30 PM   #3
Veteran Member

It is pretty simple. With the flash off the camera, turn it on and press the two buttons marked select at the same time. Do this three times to get to the SL screen. Use the right button to change off to on and then wait 5 seconds for the setting to save.

The flash should then say SL, ch 1, zoom 24. Turn the flash off and with the camera also off, place it in the hot shoe. Turn on the camera, and then turn on the flash. Press the FN button on the camera, go into the flash sub-menu, and set the flash to wireless. Press the OK button twice to end the setup. You now have set the channel on the camera to match the flash. You will not need to do this again unless you want to change the channel for some reason.

Turn the flash off, turn the camera off, and dismount the flash. Turn the decoupled flash and camera back on. Depending on how you have the memory function set on the camera, you may need to go back into the camera's flash sub-menu and choose wireless mode again. Pop up the on board flash, set the 48 AF-1 down somewhere, back off a bit and fire the shutter. That's it.

If you want to change the zoom on the flash, do the double press of the select buttons four times to get into the zoom menu. The right select button will increase the zoom and the left will decrease it. When you have the zoom set, wait five seconds for the flash to save the setting.

If you want to manually set FEV, do the double press of the select buttons twice to get to the EV menu. The right select button will increase the flash output, the left will decrease the flash output. Wait five second for the flash to save the setting.

To exit wireless mode on the flash, do the double press of the select buttons once to get to the SL menu. Pressing either button will then disable wireless slave. Wait five second for the flash to save the setting.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 07-28-2009 at 09:47 PM.
07-28-2009, 09:34 PM   #4

Original Poster
Thank you for the prompt reply

QuoteOriginally posted by TDN Quote
You set the camera to the wireless flash mode idd. Then you open the popup flash.
I am not familiar with "idd"- What is that? Where do I find that? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really need a specifics. The camera options I see for flash are "Flash On, Flash On+Red-eye, Trailing curtain sync and Wireless Mode."

07-28-2009, 09:39 PM   #5

Original Poster
Thank you so very much, Russell-Evans!!! You get "explicit" ! I can't wait to test this out.
07-28-2009, 09:46 PM   #6
TDN
Forum Member

Thank you for the prompt reply

I am not familiar with "idd"- What is that? Where do I find that? I'm sorry if I sound ignorant, but I really need a specifics. The camera options I see for flash are "Flash On, Flash On+Red-eye, Trailing curtain sync and Wireless Mode."
oh sorry, "idd" is an abbreviation for "indeed", I use it so often it has become automatic

glad to help!
07-28-2009, 09:49 PM   #7

Original Poster
Silly me! I've been out of forum posting in general, lately, and I've lost all recollection of abbvs.

07-28-2009, 10:06 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was also wondering if you can use the flash wirelessly without firing the pop-up as the trigger.
Just to make sure something did not get lost in the written word, TDN is correct that the on-board flash must be the trigger but the on-board flash does NOT have to be part of the exposure flash. Its a menu setting on my K20D but I am not familiar with your cam even though I am betting you can turn it off also. Make sense? Maybe it made better sense the first time when TDN just gave the one word answer. The only problem I EVER have using it in this mode is to remind my subject not to move after the pre-flash; just wait for me to say its done.

edit - for the record...i had no freakin idea what "idd" meant either
07-28-2009, 10:13 PM   #9

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
Just to make sure something did not get lost in the written word, TDN is correct that the on-board flash must be the trigger but the on-board flash does NOT have to be part of the exposure flash. Its a menu setting on my K20D but I am not familiar with your cam even though I am betting you can turn it off also. Make sense?
This is interesting, I hope someone with a K10D can walk me through this.

You guys are so helpful!!
07-28-2009, 10:28 PM   #10
Veteran Member

This is interesting, I hope someone with a K10D can walk me through this.
I forgot to mention that for you to have the on board flash be able to be a use for wireless, either master or controller, you first must have the 1.30 firmware on the K10D. To check which firmware is on your K10D press the menu button and the AE-L button while turning on the camera. The firmware version will be displayed on the main LCD for a few seconds and then the camera will boot normally.

If you have version 1.30 on the K10D then it a simple matter of going into the menu, use the back e-dial to get to the Custom Tab, press the up arrow on the four way pad to get to the bottom of the custom menu, which will be the Reset command, up arrow one more time to get to the Flash in Wireless Mode, right arrow to get into the sub-menu, and then to use the on board flash as a controller, select option 2, Off. To use the on board flash as a Master, set option 1, On.

Master means the flash will control the wireless and add its light to the main flash. Controller means the flash will only control the wireless and not add light to the main flash.

Thank you
Russell
07-28-2009, 10:31 PM   #11

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote
I forgot to mention that for you to have the on board flash be able to be a use for wireless, either master or controller, you first must have the 1.30 firmware on the K10D. To check which firmware is on your K10D press the menu button and the AE-L button while turning on the camera. The firmware version will be displayed on the main LCD for a few seconds and then the camera will boot normally.

If you have version 1.30 on the K10D then it a simple matter of going into the menu, use the back e-dial to get to the Custom Tab, press the up arrow on the four way pad to get to the bottom of the custom menu, which will be the Reset command, up arrow one more time to get to the Flash in Wireless Mode, right arrow to get into the sub-menu, and then to use the on board flash as a controller, select option 2, Off. To use the on board flash as a Master, set option 1, On.

Master means the flash will control the wireless and add its light to the main flash. Controller means the flash will only control the wireless and not add light to the main flash.
Thank you!!! Looks like I am going to do some updating tomorrow as my firmware is only 1.11.
07-28-2009, 10:36 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Russell-Evans Quote

Thank you
Russell
Good info Russell!

Thank YOU!!
07-29-2009, 07:32 AM   #13
Veteran Member

For future reference, you can download the K10D manual in PDF online at:

http://www.pentaximaging.com/files/manual/K10D_Manual.pdf
07-29-2009, 09:45 AM   #14

Original Poster
I have downloaded the new firmware v. 1.3, so now I'm just waiting for my battery to get fully charged to start the update on my K10D. I can't wait to try the flash wirelessly! I'll let you know how that turns out.

Thanks, innnershell. And thank you to everyone who contributed.
07-29-2009, 11:30 AM   #15

Original Poster
Sweet! It worked! Not 100% of the time- I guess I'll have to work on placement. And boy do I have a lot to learn! I can't wait to learn how to control this new light (output, angles, etc). But I'm so glad I CAN do what I primarily bought this flash for (using it wirelessly).

Thanks again, for all the help!