Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-01-2009, 10:32 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
K20D - Metz 48 - no wireless for Takumars?

I tried to use the wireless flash mode with my takumar but saw that the camera does not allow you to select that mode (appears greyed out). Anyway that I could change the custom settings to accomodate the takumar?
Thanks for any pointers.

08-02-2009, 12:20 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mccarvindh Quote
I tried to use the wireless flash mode with my takumar but saw that the camera does not allow you to select that mode (appears greyed out). Anyway that I could change the custom settings to accomodate the takumar?
Thanks for any pointers.

Shorting the A pin to make the camera think it has a lens with the Auto aperture set allows P-TTL with manual aperture ring lenses.

Features and Operation of the Ka Mount

On the body mount, the "*" contact is slightly recessed. On the lens mount, "*" is a small pin whose head can be raised or lowered depending on the position of the lens aperture ring. When a numeric f-stop is selected, the pin's head is lowered so that it does not make contact with body's "*" contact; when the "A" aperture setting is engaged, the pin's head is raised, and it makes electrical contact with the body's "*" contact.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/380547-post1.html
Following these sites (robertstech and kmp.bdimitrov), I've found that it's indeed possible to activate P-TTL flash and matrix metering with old m42 and PK lenses, contrary to what is said in these sites ("This modification will not work for Pentax Digital cameras because they use the digital data pin on the lens to get aperture information, not the multi-contact array discussed here.")...

The trick is to short the Data pin too, and this works! Guess they did a little step back in their algorithms...
Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 08-15-2009 at 12:36 AM.
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
HI Russell,
Thank you so much for your help! I shall try this and let you know.
Arvindh