Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 3 Likes Search this Thread
03-16-2011, 07:15 AM   #181
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Got a chance to play with it all again this evening.. heres a test shot I made whilst experimenting... Its a two flash shot, background is a TZ250 w/ Blue Filter set to something nuclear (its not exactly 'precise' in its manual control ) to turn the grey wall blue and also through some kickback onto the table , and the key light is a gridded Sigma EF-500 set to 1/16th power camera right..

Shot 1/180 @ f/5.6 on a Series-A 50mm - still seems to be working at 1/180 using my capacitor mod quite nicely..

Last edited by adr1an; 06-24-2011 at 01:43 AM.
03-22-2011, 10:45 AM   #182
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I've posted details on the new RF-600TX to this thread here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/137699-rf...ml#post1436811

Mods; being a new Transmitter model, I thought it should be in a new thread. If this is incorrect - please merge it into here and accept my apologies.
04-04-2011, 03:41 AM   #183
Forum Member

Wondering if anyone can help me here -

I just got the Canon variant of these - all I need it for is as a remote shutter trigger, I don't need it as a flash trigger at all.

Unfortunately, the one I got did not come with the C1 cable (which is the proprietary Rx to 2.5mm cable) - so instead I used the PC sync cord that came with it (proprietary Rx to 3.5mm cable) and I just used a 3.5mm to 2.5mm headphone jack adapter and plugged it in to the remote shutter socket of my K7.

Now, the problem is, I can't seem to get it to AF on half-press of the Tx.

This is what I get:

If camera is AF-S: No AF at all, but shutter fires on full press.
If camera is AF-C: Continuous AF happens, even with no half-press, and even with Rx set to off. Shutter fires on full press.

Now, all I want to do is to get the regular focus on half-press, and fire shutter on full press. Any ideas?

I've tried changing a few menu settings, like changing from single frame, to remote etc.. Setting AF button to not AF on half-press etc.. but same deal.

Or is this because I'm not using the C1 cable I should be using? But I don't think that should be it.. it's just a cable after all..

Any ideas..?

Thanks.
04-04-2011, 05:48 AM   #184
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by ShowMeTheMoney Quote
Wondering if anyone can help me here...

Or is this because I'm not using the C1 cable I should be using? But I don't think that should be it.. it's just a cable after all..
Just a cable, but unfortunately, with the wrong connections.

If you take a look at the PC sync cord cable that you are using, you will notice that on one end is the proprietary 3 hole plug, and on the other is a 3.5mm mono plug (2 contacts), and that's the issue right there. The remote shutter release connection, and the corresponding C1 cable, uses a 2.5mm stereo plug (3 contacts).

04-04-2011, 08:41 AM   #185
Veteran Member

Wondering if anyone can help me here -

I just got the Canon variant of these - all I need it for is as a remote shutter trigger, I don't need it as a flash trigger at all.

Unfortunately, the one I got did not come with the C1 cable (which is the proprietary Rx to 2.5mm cable) - so instead I used the PC sync cord that came with it (proprietary Rx to 3.5mm cable) and I just used a 3.5mm to 2.5mm headphone jack adapter and plugged it in to the remote shutter socket of my K7.

Now, the problem is, I can't seem to get it to AF on half-press of the Tx.

This is what I get:

If camera is AF-S: No AF at all, but shutter fires on full press.
If camera is AF-C: Continuous AF happens, even with no half-press, and even with Rx set to off. Shutter fires on full press.

Now, all I want to do is to get the regular focus on half-press, and fire shutter on full press. Any ideas?

I've tried changing a few menu settings, like changing from single frame, to remote etc.. Setting AF button to not AF on half-press etc.. but same deal.

Any ideas..?

Thanks.
are you sure you enabled the "AF on remote shutter release" in the settings menu?
04-04-2011, 05:44 PM   #186
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pentaxor Quote
are you sure you enabled the "AF on remote shutter release" in the settings menu?
I believe that custom menu option only applies to remote control units, triggering though the IR sensors at the front and back of the camera, e.g. the Pentax F remote. ShowMeTheMoney is using the wired cable release socket, with his RF-602 being the wired cable release (it's still treated as a wired cable release by the camera)
04-04-2011, 06:53 PM   #187
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
I believe that custom menu option only applies to remote control units, triggering though the IR sensors at the front and back of the camera, e.g. the Pentax F remote. ShowMeTheMoney is using the wired cable release socket, with his RF-602 being the wired cable release (it's still treated as a wired cable release by the camera)
I think you are right. if that was the case, then the only logical explanation is that the cable is incompatible for Pentax. this is possibly the reason why there are 2 cables provided for the new set. one was intended for Pentax and one was for Canon. a simple jack converter wouldn't do the trick, otherwise they could had provided a second jack instead of another cable.

04-04-2011, 08:25 PM   #188
Veteran Member

I think you are right. if that was the case, then the only logical explanation is that the cable is incompatible for Pentax. this is possibly the reason why there are 2 cables provided for the new set. one was intended for Pentax and one was for Canon. a simple jack converter wouldn't do the trick, otherwise they could had provided a second jack instead of another cable.
Ok, there are two different types of cables for the RF-602 wireless flash triggers.

The first type is a RX->flash cable.
On one end is the proprietary connector plugging into the RX. On the other end is the 3.5mm mono connector that plugs into some flashes.
Each RX set should come with this cable, and each RX set should also come with a 3.5mm->6.5mm adaptor for use with some studio flashes with the 6.5mm socket.

If you look below, this is the content of a RX + TX set. The make up of each set is identical regardless of Nikon or Canon, and I can confirm this because I have both Nikon and Canon RX + TX sets: there is a RX, TX, booklet, RX->flash cable, 3.5mm->6.5mm adaptor and 2 AAA batteries.
The RX-only sets do not have the booklet and the TX, but is otherwise identical. That cable there is the RX->flash cable, and is the one ShowMeTheMoney is using, with a 3.5mm->2.5mm adaptor.

On the left is a RX + TX set. The contents of the set are in the previous photo.
In the middle are RX sets. As mentioned, the only difference between the RX + TX and RX-only sets are the lack of a booklet and TX.
On the right is a shutter release cable.

The second type is a shutter release cable.
These do not come with any RX sets. You either buy them separately, or an ebay seller will add it to the bundle they are selling.
On one end is the proprietary connector plugging into the RX. On the other end is the connector that plugs into the camera. In the case of the C1 cable, this connector is a 2.5mm stereo plug. For C2, C3, N1, N2, etc cables, this end is specific to the cameras they are designed for.

In this photo, on the left is one end of the RX->flash cable. Note the 3.5mm mono plug.
On the right is one end of the C1 shutter release cable. Note the 2.5mm stereo plug. This is the one used by Pentax cameras. The stereo plug is necessary for the ground, AF and shutter contacts.

This is the other end of both plugs, the proprietary RX connector.
04-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #189
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by pop4 Quote
Ok, there are two different types of cables for the RF-602 wireless flash triggers.

The first type is a RX->flash cable.
On one end is the proprietary connector plugging into the RX. On the other end is the 3.5mm mono connector that plugs into some flashes.
Each RX set should come with this cable, and each RX set should also come with a 3.5mm->6.5mm adaptor for use with some studio flashes with the 6.5mm socket.

If you look below, this is the content of a RX + TX set. The make up of each set is identical regardless of Nikon or Canon, and I can confirm this because I have both Nikon and Canon RX + TX sets: there is a RX, TX, booklet, RX->flash cable, 3.5mm->6.5mm adaptor and 2 AAA batteries.
The RX-only sets do not have the booklet and the TX, but is otherwise identical. That cable there is the RX->flash cable, and is the one ShowMeTheMoney is using, with a 3.5mm->2.5mm adaptor.

On the left is a RX + TX set. The contents of the set are in the previous photo.
In the middle are RX sets. As mentioned, the only difference between the RX + TX and RX-only sets are the lack of a booklet and TX.
On the right is a shutter release cable.

The second type is a shutter release cable.
These do not come with any RX sets. You either buy them separately, or an ebay seller will add it to the bundle they are selling.
On one end is the proprietary connector plugging into the RX. On the other end is the connector that plugs into the camera. In the case of the C1 cable, this connector is a 2.5mm stereo plug. For C2, C3, N1, N2, etc cables, this end is specific to the cameras they are designed for.

In this photo, on the left is one end of the RX->flash cable. Note the 3.5mm mono plug.
On the right is one end of the C1 shutter release cable. Note the 2.5mm stereo plug. This is the one used by Pentax cameras. The stereo plug is necessary for the ground, AF and shutter contacts.

This is the other end of both plugs, the proprietary RX connector.
mine comes with the bundle so I have two cables (3.5 and 2.5). I'm wondering if the headphone jack adapter than showmethemoney is using is either his own or was it included with the bundle. as far as I know, the only jack adapter that is included is the 6.5mm adapter for strobes, not a 3.5 to 2.5 adapter.
04-05-2011, 02:47 AM   #190
Forum Member

@pop4 and pentaxor: Thanks for all the info guys. I played around with a lot of settings, including the AF on remote one, and still no AF. It does look like it's because I'm using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm, I didn't realize that would make a difference, I figured that as long as it fits, it should work the same.

I only got the RF-602/C box, which only had the Rx to 3.5mm cable, apparently they ran out of C1 cables (which they sell separately), so that's when I thought of using an adapter instead, which I purchased separately.

I'll go back in a couple of days to see if they've got the C1 cable back in stock. This saves me from dropping the $100 or so on one of the Phottix RF triggers.

Much Thanks and Cheers!
04-05-2011, 07:09 AM   #191
Veteran Member

@pop4 and pentaxor: Thanks for all the info guys. I played around with a lot of settings, including the AF on remote one, and still no AF. It does look like it's because I'm using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm, I didn't realize that would make a difference, I figured that as long as it fits, it should work the same. !
If the cable terminated in a 3.5mm stereo plug, and you used a stereo 3.5mm to 2.5mm adaptor, then there should be no problems. But the issue is that the cable you're using terminates in a 3.5mm mono plug.
04-05-2011, 08:31 AM   #192
Veteran Member

@pop4 and pentaxor: Thanks for all the info guys. I played around with a lot of settings, including the AF on remote one, and still no AF. It does look like it's because I'm using a 3.5mm to 2.5mm, I didn't realize that would make a difference, I figured that as long as it fits, it should work the same.

I only got the RF-602/C box, which only had the Rx to 3.5mm cable, apparently they ran out of C1 cables (which they sell separately), so that's when I thought of using an adapter instead, which I purchased separately.

I'll go back in a couple of days to see if they've got the C1 cable back in stock. This saves me from dropping the $100 or so on one of the Phottix RF triggers.

Much Thanks and Cheers!
Yes, I believe so to as pop4 explained. however, which Phottix RF triggers were you referring? was it the Strato transceivers? those looks great for on (fill-flash flexibility) and off camera flash use. although Yongnuo and Cactus offer the same for much less money. personally, I would had chosen the V5 cactus if you were strobing as well. very useful for nice portraiture work and a shutter trigger at the same time. if ever you consider a multiple flash and strobe setup, you might want to consider these in the future.
04-05-2011, 04:59 PM   #193

QuoteOriginally posted by systemA Quote
Just received my first transmitter and receiver set! This is the "newer version" of the CTR-301, but utilizes the 2.4GHz frequency from Yongnuo. After researching a bit on the strobist flickr group and seeing the first positive reviews, I bit on this set.

I tested consistency from same room, and from upstairs and missed 0/10 test shots at both locations. I will be testing distance later, but so far I'm very pleased!

Test: K10d, Vivitar 285HV, RF-602 triggers

edit: After some initial testing from some of the members here and myself, the fastest sync speed achievable without banding is 1/125th. If syncing at 1/180 is a priority, I would recommend another Tx/Rx system or waiting for the next release.
I don't mean to hijack your thread but as a newbie I had a question. When would the situation be so critical as to have 1/180 instead of 1/125. To me the look pretty close so I didn't understand.
04-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #194
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by justtakingpics Quote
I don't mean to hijack your thread but as a newbie I had a question. When would the situation be so critical as to have 1/180 instead of 1/125. To me the look pretty close so I didn't understand.
when freezing the action. 1/180 is still pretty slow capturing action, let alone 1/180. that's why Pentax users are hoping Pentax to have a sync speed of 1/250 just to be on the safe side.
04-11-2011, 05:38 PM   #195
Forum Member

Just an update, finally found a store carrying the C1 cable, and I got it to work with no problems. (as a shutter trigger only, didn't test it with flash work)

Yes, I believe so to as pop4 explained. however, which Phottix RF triggers were you referring? was it the Strato transceivers? those looks great for on (fill-flash flexibility) and off camera flash use. although Yongnuo and Cactus offer the same for much less money. personally, I would had chosen the V5 cactus if you were strobing as well. very useful for nice portraiture work and a shutter trigger at the same time. if ever you consider a multiple flash and strobe setup, you might want to consider these in the future.
I was thinking of the Cleon II, since it seems to be one of the more popular models in the stores around here. Though most Phottix gear can be bought at brick and mortar stores here in Manila, so I guess I could have had my pick. Though I won't be strobing, I actually just needed the remote shutter trigger for a little project I was experimenting on.

The little reading I put into this has actually got me interested in off-camera flash work, so it's something I'll be looking into. Though I might just spring for one of the manual YN flashes, since I can get some of the models here for about PhP 2000 (~ USD $50) and see how that works for me.

If I find I get into it, I'll definitely take a look at the V5 Cactus though. Cheers and thanks!