Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-13-2009, 08:46 AM   #1
Forum Member

Considering the AF540FGZ, but the reviews are a bit questionable. Alternatives?

I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I couldn't find anything that answered was satisfactory.

I'm considering getting the AF540FGZ, but the reviews are either awesome, or so-so. So my question is this, is there an alternative that is just as versatile, or better?

Price isn't a huge issue (if it is worth the extra cost), because it just means I have to save up longer.

08-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #2
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I would recommend this:
Metz | mecablitz 58 AF-1 TTL Shoe Mount Flash | MZ 58317PS | B&H

A great flash, not much more than the Pentax.
08-13-2009, 01:45 PM   #3
Veteran Member

I just got one (used) from B and H. Simply put, it's the best flash I have ever used. Unfortunately, I don't have much to compare to on the Pentax side, but have used many on Olympus, including the Metz 48. The Metz is wonderful, but really like the feature set and dedicated buttons on the Pentax. I would not pay full retail as a new model may be on the way (production has stopped), but if you can find one south of $300, go for it.
08-13-2009, 02:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

The Sigma EF 530 DG Super is very decent, considering it's price. I have two, and I'm very happy with them.

08-20-2009, 08:33 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by Kornbread Quote
I'm sure this has been asked a lot, but I couldn't find anything that answered was satisfactory.
Have you seen my Pentax flash guide? Is there anything I can do to help that answer your questions more satisfactorily?
08-20-2009, 11:03 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Kornbread Quote

I'm considering getting the AF540FGZ, but the reviews are either awesome, or so-so. So my question is this, is there an alternative that is just as versatile, or better?

Price isn't a huge issue (if it is worth the extra cost), because it just means I have to save up longer.

Be sure to check out Matt's flash guide. It's one of the best resources in the Pentax world.

I own two Pentax 540FGZ's. They're okay but I've had problems with both of them. I just don't think they're very well made. A year ago I bought a Metz 58 AF-1 and I've used it as my primary flash ever since. More power and it seems much better built. It costs a little more but I think it's worth it. And I'm able to use all three flashes together (with the Metz as controller for wireless/non-radio triggering).

If you don't need the features of the Pentax 540 or the Metz 58, I'd consider Sigma's options, which are less expensive and which seem to be fairly reliable. (I don't know for sure: I've never used a Sigma flash.)

Will
08-25-2009, 06:41 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Love Matt's Pentax flash guide! Thanks so much, it was very helpful.