Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-01-2009, 12:37 AM   #1
Veteran Member

HELP please K-7 or K10D + AF540 fgz + Pocket Wizard

What I want to do is have my AF540 fgz (in Pttl mode) on a flash bracket with a PW aswell too fire other strobes (in manual mode) for fill light.. Will the PW trigger the remote strobes on pttl pre flash? Or will the PW sync on the Full flash that is on camera (AF540 fgz)?
Is a cord like this for PENTAX? Or will I have to make one!
TTL Cords Paramount Sync Cords for Professional & Digital Flash Photography long ettl cord lengthened ettl pocket wizard ettl mounting pocket wizard

09-01-2009, 04:05 AM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Adrian Owerko Quote
What I want to do is have my AF540 fgz (in Pttl mode) on a flash bracket with a PW aswell too fire other strobes (in manual mode) for fill light.. Will the PW trigger the remote strobes on pttl pre flash? Or will the PW sync on the Full flash that is on camera (AF540 fgz)?
Is a cord like this for PENTAX? Or will I have to make one!
TTL Cords Paramount Sync Cords for Professional & Digital Flash Photography long ettl cord lengthened ettl pocket wizard ettl mounting pocket wizard
Use the PC sync port on the K-7 to fire the PW trigger, the PW probably came with cords for this, and just mount the flash on the hot shoe.

If you want to mount the flash on a bracket, then you will need a 5P cord and a Pentax Hot Shoe Adapter F. The AF540FGZ already has a 5P port so you don't need the remote end.

The PW will not fire on the preflash.

Thank you
Russell
09-01-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Ok, intersting fact, using the direct to flash via the cord atachment on the 540 makes the cord's shoe hot, so if you had the flash direct on camera and had the cord atached to it with a hotshoe or off camera shoe adapter F (hotshoe adapter f has a pttl pin-out on the shoe-mount and a female pttl hot shoe ontop, the off camera shoe has a cold-shoe and 1/4-20 hole on the bottom and a hot-pttl mount on top. When conected to the 540 via the cord, this shoe is active and will alow another flash to fire or a pocketwizard (PW).
Now problem is that the PW will fire on the pre-flash and from what I can tell will not sync with the camera properly, I have not done extensive testing though.

BUT if you put the flash in M or A mode it eliminates the pre-flash and allows you to have everything sync'ing

good luck
09-04-2009, 12:49 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I tried this setup using a cheap ebay trigger. The off camera flash wouldn't sync at all with the af 540 (PTTL Mode) on the K10D or K-7. Just half pressing the shutter button would send the off camera flash (af 360 in manual mode) crazy (rapid fire mode) maybe the PW knows only to fire the flash on the main flash signal not on the PTTL pre flash signal? When I put the AF 540 5gz in A mode (all is happy, on camera & off camera radio triggered flash sync) But if the on camera flash is in P-ttl or M mode, The off camera flash gets into rapid fire crazy mode! I just don't want to spend big $$ on PW's for this to happen.