Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2009, 06:47 PM   #1

Pentax AF540FGZ vs. Metz 58 AF-1

I recently switched over to the Pentax system and left behind Nikon. I sold my three Nikon flashes and so I am looking at getting a new one and wanted to know what people thought about the two that I listed in the title. I'm looking for which ever one people believe is the better flash for what I am trying to do with it.

1. Of course it has to be easy to use when mounted on the camera for general shots at gatherings and events.

2. Quality of the build and ease of use in wireless mode.

I do have some wireless triggers for setting up staged wireless shots, but sometimes there is no time for such things and you need to do a wireless shot on the fly. Here is an example of one of my wireless shots (umbrella to right and left, bare in camera front)

09-23-2009, 09:00 AM   #2
Veteran Member

I was there once...

I had the same question when I bought a flash for my K7. I decided on the Pentax AF-540FGZ and I'm happy about. This thing is POWERFUL and the wireless is dead on. I used it to illuminate a concert stage 45 feet away from me in the open air and it worked great. I also mount it to a lighting stand with an umbrella. Using just the wireless mode from my K7 I have had great results from this flash.
10-02-2009, 11:11 AM   #3
Forum Member

Photos: Gallery
I have the AF540FGZ. It's great. Took some figuring out but I like it. I like your shot of the bike btw.
10-02-2009, 01:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Metz 58 AF-1 is suppose to be the best of the flashes available for pentax.

10-04-2009, 02:24 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Check this site out for comparisons and features-
Pentax P-TTL Flash Comparison: The Definitive Guide
and click on a Google ad to help pay for it.
10-04-2009, 06:34 PM   #6
pdo

I have owned both and prefer Metz 58 just because the Metz detect lens focal length in AUTOMATIC mode where the Pentax 540 doesn't.
04-22-2010, 04:50 PM   #7
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I am still struggling a lot with this flash photography, especially with the wireless PTTL/K7 combo. Been reading all sorts of thread/posts, tutorials, etc ... and I am still stuck!

Can I ask a few questions (again) here?:

1. Stationary objects/stationary human subjects: Do I use the X mode on the dial mode? Can't I simply leave the camera settings on Av and let the camera/flash decide what to do?
I supposed the X mode was being used mostly for highlighting.

2. In M mode: combined with the flash and ambient light, can't this be used for such purpose? I.E.: to "mix" flash output and ambient light?

3. In Av mode: ... when and how would one use this setting?

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers.
JP

04-23-2010, 07:44 AM   #8
Forum Member

Photos: Albums
I just bought a Metz 58 AF-1. Though I'm still trying to get a hang of it, still its great. And here in munich, it was 60 euros cheaper than the pentax AF 540.
10-13-2010, 12:12 AM   #9

Any regrets on the Metz 58 AF-1. I want to pick up one as well and have been doing all my research on these forums, googling, etc.

I am also looking at the Sigma EF-530 DG Super because on Amazon it comes in at $208 USD, but hear great things about the Metz, but can't justify near twice the cost.
10-13-2010, 09:25 PM   #10

Re: Metz 58 AF 1

I started out being happy with this flash, but my enthusiasm is waning. I am getting exasperated with the inconsistent exposures in pTTL mode, but this may be a problem with Pentax, and not Metz. I may have to try it in automatic to see if that helps.

Specifics about the Metz:

I handheld the flash in wireless mode, which seemed cool for fill-in, afternoon light. In fact, to some extent it seemed to work better than when mounted and in pTTL mode. However, you must learn how to use it in handheld, wireless mode or you may not get it to fire. This is because the sensor is on the left side of the flash and does not always receive the signal. I made it work by turning the flash upside down, and twisting the top a notch so the sensor was exposed.

Another issue with using the Metz in wireless is that you have to use the onboard flash to trigger it. The triggering light is suppose to be inconsequential, but it can be clearly visible in some photos. I don't know how the Pentax flash operates wirelessly.

Finally, I was wondering why some of my flash photos were slightly blurry at shutter speeds below 125, and I discovered that you lose shake reduction in wireless mode. You can imagine that holding a camera with one hand, and the flash with the other is not as stable as holding the camera with two hands. I then tried using a technique someone told me about in which you place the camera on your left shoulder and bring the flash up under the right arm as high as you can. It works, but you can't get the flash up very high from this position. This prompted me to go buy a flash cord. But the Metz does not do pTTL with the cord. It has one more pin than the cord, and Metz does not make a flash cord for it.

Since I like to shoot for ambient light - f5.6 @ 60, or lower, I was prompted to mount the flash back on the camera, but, as I mentioned above, I have been very unhappy with the consistency of the exposures. I don't know who to blame for these results, Pentax, the flash, or me. I intend to figure this out because it is very difficult to shoot weddings with unreliable flash exposures.

In summation, the Metz does not provide for the most desirable off camera, hand held usage. It has not been performing well (consistently) mounted to my camera (K20D), although I'm not sure who or what is at fault. A little niggle. The battery door is flimsy and I have had to replace it. (It only cost $4, plus $6 for shipping, but it's an indication of the quality of workmanship.)

I guess I'm hoping the rumors of a new Pentax flash are true because I'm not sure where to go with this.

Michael

Last edited by skyoftexas; 10-13-2010 at 09:32 PM. Reason: clarification
10-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #11

Please tell us more.

QuoteOriginally posted by pdo Quote
I have owned both and prefer Metz 58 just because the Metz detect lens focal length in AUTOMATIC mode where the Pentax 540 doesn't.
Could you please tell us why you prefer to use your flash in automatic? Thanks.

Michael
10-13-2010, 11:32 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I started out being happy with this flash, but my enthusiasm is waning. I am getting exasperated with the inconsistent exposures in pTTL mode, but this may be a problem with Pentax, and not Metz. I may have to try it in automatic to see if that helps.

Specifics about the Metz:

I handheld the flash in wireless mode, which seemed cool for fill-in, afternoon light. In fact, to some extent it seemed to work better than when mounted and in pTTL mode. However, you must learn how to use it in handheld, wireless mode or you may not get it to fire. This is because the sensor is on the left side of the flash and does not always receive the signal. I made it work by turning the flash upside down, and twisting the top a notch so the sensor was exposed.

Another issue with using the Metz in wireless is that you have to use the onboard flash to trigger it. The triggering light is suppose to be inconsequential, but it can be clearly visible in some photos. I don't know how the Pentax flash operates wirelessly.

Finally, I was wondering why some of my flash photos were slightly blurry at shutter speeds below 125, and I discovered that you lose shake reduction in wireless mode. You can imagine that holding a camera with one hand, and the flash with the other is not as stable as holding the camera with two hands. I then tried using a technique someone told me about in which you place the camera on your left shoulder and bring the flash up under the right arm as high as you can. It works, but you can't get the flash up very high from this position. This prompted me to go buy a flash cord. But the Metz does not do pTTL with the cord. It has one more pin than the cord, and Metz does not make a flash cord for it.

Since I like to shoot for ambient light - f5.6 @ 60, or lower, I was prompted to mount the flash back on the camera, but, as I mentioned above, I have been very unhappy with the consistency of the exposures. I don't know who to blame for these results, Pentax, the flash, or me. I intend to figure this out because it is very difficult to shoot weddings with unreliable flash exposures.

In summation, the Metz does not provide for the most desirable off camera, hand held usage. It has not been performing well (consistently) mounted to my camera (K20D), although I'm not sure who or what is at fault. A little niggle. The battery door is flimsy and I have had to replace it. (It only cost $4, plus $6 for shipping, but it's an indication of the quality of workmanship.)

I guess I'm hoping the rumors of a new Pentax flash are true because I'm not sure where to go with this.

Michael
I need to correct a few things here. Maybe it'll help.

It sounds like you're saying that triggering the Metz with the onboard flash is a bad thing. All major camera brands' wireless triggering is done that way. The 540 and Sigma 530 Super do also. If you're using radio transmitters like Skyports, Radiopoppers, etc that's a whole other ball of wax. The flash sends the info to the metz (or 540, doesnt matter) about how bright to pop your flash. Make sure that your K20 is set to wireless mode. If you don't then the onboard flash will be your main exposure. Even in wireless mode the flash can be picked up a bit in pictures but should be negligible. The only exception I've seen is if you're in a room with alot of metal or mirrors. Then you're seeing the reflection of the trigger flash that was sent a split second before the shutter opened.

The flash cord should do fine. I'm using the Adorama P-TTL cord when I use my cam on a bracket and it's just like putting the flash on the hot shoe. Are you sure you have the setting on the Metz on P-TTL? I figure you're not needing it on P-TTL HSS since you say you like to keep the shutter at 1/60 or less.

The Metz 58 is a great flash and the Pentax 540 is a close second. I have them as well as the metz 48, a Sigma 530 Super and an AF-360 that I most use as either a kicker light or to replace the onboard flash if I want a stronger trigger flash. When it comes to the battery door, I don't think there's anything more "niggly' than the 540! I hate replacing batteries when I'm cold or have allergies! Ahhh-CHOO! SNAP!!
10-14-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
Veteran Member

I prefer Metz 58 than AF-540FGZ due to its flash result consistency and built quality. The AF-540FGZ is easier to use, but unpredictable and with severe vignette.
10-14-2010, 10:49 AM   #14
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by skyoftexas Quote
I then tried using a technique someone told me about in which you place the camera on your left shoulder and bring the flash up under the right arm as high as you can.
I'm getting some really odd looks trying to imagine this in my my cube and recreate it. Are you sure you are explaining this correct? I look like a gorilla scratching my head with one hand and armpit with the other.
10-17-2010, 08:35 PM   #15

Second try.

QuoteOriginally posted by Rory Quote
I'm getting some really odd looks trying to imagine this in my my cube and recreate it. Are you sure you are explaining this correct? I look like a gorilla scratching my head with one hand and armpit with the other.
Okay, you stand like you were going to shoot a rifle at the subject. Rest your camera on your left shoulder (I shoot with my left eye so ergonomics work out). Bring your left arm that is holding the flash in your left hand up under your right wrist as high as you can. Just do the first two steps (stance and camera on the left shoulder) and then do whatever you think with the flash in your left hand. You will figure it out.