Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-10-2011, 03:23 AM   #16
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gybp Quote
do you have macro shots using the flash?
here's one of mine from just last week:

01-10-2011, 03:46 AM   #17
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Very smooth Mike.
It turns out quite nicely.
01-10-2011, 04:00 AM   #18

can you guys please upload more shoots using this flash? i would like to see more if you can.. thanks!
01-10-2011, 04:09 AM   #19
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

can you guys please upload more shoots using this flash? i would like to see more if you can.. thanks!
Will get to doing some more myself when the weather settles down a little here.
But just be aware that it is not a flash, but an accessory to your existing external flash to disperse the light across a round area around the lens.

Last edited by Ash; 01-10-2011 at 04:17 AM.
01-15-2011, 05:54 AM - 1 Like   #20
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

OK, here's an example I got using the o-flash with an FA 100/2.8 macro - not a bad result, but the fall-off is quite dramatic and the light is quite harsh, as deciphered by the light reflection and distinct shadowing of the subject:

01-15-2011, 07:24 AM   #21

nice one, keep them coming!
02-15-2011, 08:05 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I'm not sure which is much comfortable to use and better for macro shooting and fill flash, but is using a flash bracket and soft-box diffuser is much better cheap alternative?

02-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #23
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I got the O-flash for under $30 so a bracket and diffuser may be marginally (but insignificantly) cheaper, but IMO you'll probably get better lighting quality from a diffused off-axis light source. The O-flash seems to still produce quite flat lighting quality due to its direct axial setup.
02-16-2011, 01:06 AM   #24
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
I got the O-flash for under $30 so a bracket and diffuser may be marginally (but insignificantly) cheaper, but IMO you'll probably get better lighting quality from a diffused off-axis light source. The O-flash seems to still produce quite flat lighting quality due to its direct axial setup.
that's right. what I'm worried about though is the size of that thing, not to mention it's odd-shape and the danger that it might snap by itself or snap the flash connected on the camera shoe-mount.

for something just about over $30, I think it is best to just buy a wireless trigger to be used on your macro setup. as you said, better lighting angles. same with portraits. aside from that, handheld flash would be another alternative if it isn't an inconvenience.
02-16-2011, 03:14 AM   #25
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

It's the slight diffusion that would offer the advantage without requiring the extra hand to operate the flash if shooting in landscape mode. So it does lead to extra strain on the hotshoe, but it feels relatively secure with a flash like the Sigma EF 500 Super, which is locked in place, unlike the AF540, which swivels and tilts at the slightest of nudges, and the weight of the O-flash drags the flash head down just enough for it to think it's no longer facing straight ahead!
02-16-2011, 08:53 AM   #26
Pentaxian

Original Poster
right, i wish there were a way to tighten the swivel head on the 540 a bit, just a bit. when i am shooting downward or at an angle where the head may turn, i sometimes roll up my micro fiber cloth into a ball and wedge it between the O-flash and the lens to keep it in place.

Something else that works well is when shooting macros on the ground, i remove my flash from the camera and lay it on the ground with the O-flash looping upward. being off camera allows me the freedom to move the light source even closer to the subject if shooting with a very long lens or combination of lenses.
02-16-2011, 09:09 AM - 1 Like   #27
Pentaxian

Original Poster
i use it for all my macros and it works well:

this one has some intentional vignetting applied, not an effect of the flash.
06-18-2013, 01:51 PM   #28
Veteran Member

I'm interested in the O-Flash, do any of you know how it compares against the Orbis version, especially for portraits ?
06-19-2013, 06:41 AM   #29
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

I have the Ray-Flash ring adapter which is nearly a complete ring...

@F32 !

09-12-2017, 09:02 AM   #30
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

This thread is a bit old and centered around alternatives to the price Pentax or Metz options. I thought I'd revive it since I'm wondering what my options on my K1 and the 100mm Macro.

Perhaps there's already a discussion someplace. I saw a thread about the discontinued Pentax160 ring flash, and Metz seems to have a pricey option but non of those are discussed here.

Any thoughts?