Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-18-2011, 01:31 PM   #16
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Albums
so i got my f5p, adapter f and fg setup and rigged it to my bracket. Now when i decide to use both the 360 and on camera flash, do i need to dial down the on camera flash AND 360 separately or just set it down on the 360? i really like the setup and gives me much more pleasing flash. Im still trying to work out the kinks though.

AlohaDave when you say
QuoteOriginally posted by alohadave Quote
I balance for the ambient, set my flash, and put everything on manual. That way, I just have to put myself x distance from each group or person and the shots will be consistent.
do you mean you balance for ambient on the camera, then add the flash (dialed up/down wherever necessary) on PTTL? THEN put both the flash and camera in manual?

10-18-2011, 01:33 PM   #17
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

and please forgive my noob status on flash...im just trying to clarify and learn
10-18-2011, 06:27 PM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Bear Quote
AlohaDave when you say

do you mean you balance for ambient on the camera, then add the flash (dialed up/down wherever necessary) on PTTL? THEN put both the flash and camera in manual?
Balance for ambient on the camera, and then add the flash. I don't use any PTTL flashes, so it's all manual for the flashes too.
10-18-2011, 08:05 PM   #19
Veteran Member

I find It is kind hard and tricky to take flash pic indoor with artfical light...
the color is just not that right
if do not balance for ambient light..totally depend on flash light..the pic come out very white..u know like we use point and shoot camera with flash...
if do balance for ambient light..usually ISO at 800 (above ISO800, pic quality too low..no good) and shutter like 1/80, but once throw in flash mixed with artcifial light..still color come out weird...
maybe need try color gel to balance color temperature??

Last edited by liukaitc; 10-18-2011 at 08:27 PM.
10-19-2011, 06:11 AM   #20
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I find It is kind hard and tricky to take flash pic indoor with artfical light...
the color is just not that right
if do not balance for ambient light..totally depend on flash light..the pic come out very white..u know like we use point and shoot camera with flash...
if do balance for ambient light..usually ISO at 800 (above ISO800, pic quality too low..no good) and shutter like 1/80, but once throw in flash mixed with artcifial light..still color come out weird...
maybe need try color gel to balance color temperature??
There are two ways to do this.

1. Set your WB to flash and let the ambient fall where it will.

2 Gel your flash to match the ambient.

I usually do #1. Many venues use tungsten as accent lights, and I don't mind having orange lights in the background. They are only there to give some definition to the background.

For #2, you have to be pretty sure that you gel your light properly, and many venues also have mixed lighting.

I don't know what you mean when you say the picture comes out very white. You might be overexposing with the flash. I'd need to see an example picture.