Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2009, 05:10 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Best Flash Accessories for Wedding photography

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I have the K10d & the K20d, the Pentax AF540, the Pentax AF 360 & a Promaster 7400EDF...

I've got a lumiquest mini softbox I use on my 360 which is ok, a standard diffuser for the AF 540, & not much else...

I'm plagued by shadows when I can't bounce off a ceiling...so wondering what accessories are must haves to soften or direct the light?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.

10-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #2
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I carry a reflective/shoot-through umbrella on a stand doing weddings in those situations where ambient light's not good enough and I want more than just ceiling/wall bounce, and the results are reasonably pleasing (both to me and the clients).

That may be too cumbersome to carry on top of everything else, and I certainly don't use it on the move at church or reception venues, but it is quite appropriate for the bride's home:

And for outside, I at times grab a family member to hold a reflector for images that I find the sun too harsh and producing too much contrast. Problem with this is the couple squinting if the reflection is too bright...

Hope this helps.
10-05-2009, 05:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

There really isn't much you can do with a shoe mount flash to make the llight nice, simply because the light is coming from beside the lens most of the time (weddings are primarily shot with the camera vertical in my experience).
Look for a used Metz 45 or 60 series flash. The CT-1 or CT-2 series are really good, powerful big auto flash units. They don't talk to the camera, so you don't need to worry about the perils of trying to control a pTTL flash, and they can be set up so that when the camera is vertical, the flash head is directly over the lens.
10-05-2009, 06:59 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Wheatfield Quote
Look for a used Metz 45 or 60 series flash. The CT-1 or CT-2 series are really good, powerful big auto flash units. They don't talk to the camera, so you don't need to worry about the perils of trying to control a pTTL flash, and they can be set up so that when the camera is vertical, the flash head is directly over the lens.
How do you set them up so the flash is directly over the lens in vertical mode? The bracket only seems useful in horizontal mode.

Also not sure how this would help the OP....he's still hate the shadows from direct flash...

10-05-2009, 08:22 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I use a Stroboframe Camera Flip to keep my flash above the camera in either portrait or landscape orientation. I use a DIY diffuser to bounce most of the light off the ceiling, and some at the subject.

It's better than the more common version of the Stroboframe since you don't have to move the flash, and when the body is in portrait orientation, the shutter button is on top.
10-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by bethtphotos Quote
I have the K10d & the K20d, the Pentax AF540, the Pentax AF 360 & a Promaster 7400EDF...

I've got a lumiquest mini softbox I use on my 360 which is ok, a standard diffuser for the AF 540, & not much else...

I'm plagued by shadows when I can't bounce off a ceiling...so wondering what accessories are must haves to soften or direct the light?

Any recommendations greatly appreciated.
A good flash bracket is helpful to have the on-camera flash always above the lens. If you shoot portrait format, the hotshoe mounted flash causes very unnatural shadows otherwise.

I often use an Omnibounce. It does not make the flash softer per se (too small), but I avoid light fall-off, when I use wide angle lenses. If the room is not too big, the Omnibounce also provides some bounced light in all directions, which can prevent (not in a big room, though), that the background is black. For a tad softer light at shorter distances I prefer a Lumiquest reflector card on the flash, though.

Ben
10-06-2009, 04:23 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Photos: Gallery
Original Poster
Thanks, all... I do have the flash bracket & used my AF540 on that wirelessly, until everyone in the room started using their flash which would set off mine. I need the cable...

I'm looking at the Omnibounce now...
Thanks so much!

10-06-2009, 05:21 AM   #8

So was it people's point and shoots that were triggering your 540?
10-06-2009, 02:39 PM   #9
Veteran Member

I'm just a hobbyist, nothing professional. I like the SpectraLight Diffuser

You're not dependent on ceilings or walls. For US $13, it is great deal.

This wedding photographer seems to endorse it.
QuoteQuote:
There is also something about Spectra Light Flash Diffuser that makes it the "flash diffuser of choice" for Lito Sy.
Thank you
Russell
10-06-2009, 03:24 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I use the lumiquest quikbounce on my metz 48. Works pretty well for both my wife and I.