Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:50 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Off - Camera Power Pack for Flash AND Camera?

I hope I'm not asking for something that's already been posted, but I'm looking for something to power my camera and flash. I've had a couple of gigs that last three - to - four hours, and I'm getting kind of tired of burning my hands while changing aa's on my flash
I have a k20d with grip and a Metz 58 AF-1. I saw a Metz and a third party option (quantum batteries) but was hoping there was something reasonably sized (read: portable) that could power both.
Thanks!!!

Last edited by Ari; 10-14-2009 at 09:51 AM. Reason: for my many spelling errors.
10-14-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
D W
Veteran Member

Quantum Turbo series or battery 1+ will work.

The battery 1+ is a 6V extended capacity battery. Due to the advance in Lion and other technologies in AA's the extended capacity is not as great relatively speaking comparing to today's Lion or NiMH rechargeable AA's.

The quantum turbo is a high voltage converter and battery in one. The converter steps up the voltage to 330V and recharges the Metz's capacitor directly. You will get better number of flashes as well as a shorter recycling time. You will still need the AA's in the Metz to power the control circuitry which is relatively low draw.

Both quantum systems will power you camera with another cord into the DC input where the AC adapter plugs in. With the longevity of the rechargeable battery in the camera the issue is what is gained by having and extra cord going from the battery to the camera?
10-14-2009, 10:30 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by D W Quote
Quantum Turbo series or battery 1+ will work.

The battery 1+ is a 6V extended capacity battery. Due to the advance in Lion and other technologies in AA's the extended capacity is not as great relatively speaking comparing to today's Lion or NiMH rechargeable AA's.

The quantum turbo is a high voltage converter and battery in one. The converter steps up the voltage to 330V and recharges the Metz's capacitor directly. You will get better number of flashes as well as a shorter recycling time. You will still need the AA's in the Metz to power the control circuitry which is relatively low draw.

Both quantum systems will power you camera with another cord into the DC input where the AC adapter plugs in. With the longevity of the rechargeable battery in the camera the issue is what is gained by having and extra cord going from the battery to the camera?
DW, ASAIK there are no Quantum cables for Pentax DSLRs if you check their website they do not list anything for the "K" series Pentax camera, so while they might be able to power the flash and camera at the same time you are on your own when it comes to connecting your camera to a Quantum battery.
10-14-2009, 10:35 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
For that, I'd look at this:
Digital Camera Battery
But be warned it's not cheap...

10-14-2009, 01:02 PM   #5
D W
Veteran Member

Yes there is no direct Quantum cable but I am sure you can get one from Paramount or other custom cord builders. Or if you are a Mcgyver fan you will have no problem rigging one up.
10-14-2009, 03:54 PM   #6
Ari
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Original Poster
Thanks everyone! Think I'm going to go with a Metz powerpack. I guess with the grip, I'm going with power for the camera.