Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-14-2009, 09:28 PM   #1
Forum Member

Using flash with M42 lenses

Hi,

What mode do you put the camera in when using M42 lenses and flash. "M" mode with green button does not work, since it does not know that at flash is attached. It does not allow you to set the shutter speed either.

thanks,
Kev

10-14-2009, 09:38 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Well the M42 lens can't talk directly to a DSLR so everything has to be manually done, including the flash. Firstly, what flash are you using? If it has manual settings, use them. I use a Vivitar 285HV with M42 quite regularly so yes it can be done.
10-14-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
Igilligan

I just use M with out green button... Set the SS to 180 and dial in ap if it just regular flash snaps.

But I look forward to reading the answers from the folks who really know how to do it.
10-14-2009, 11:27 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
The same figmental1978, I just use M and follow the guide on the flash.

For example, using my Vivitar 5200 flash. When I'm shooting at 85mm, Full Power, ISO 200, F16 it's telling me that I have enough light to cover around 10 feet.
This distance changes with every setting I change.

10-15-2009, 06:34 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the help. I have an istD and a Sunpak 433d flash. What confuses me is what shutter speed does the flash assume? On my film camera (ME Super) it set 1/125th.

Kev
10-15-2009, 06:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Hiroshi Quote
Thanks for the help. I have an istD and a Sunpak 433d flash. What confuses me is what shutter speed does the flash assume? On my film camera (ME Super) it set 1/125th.

Kev
The shutter speed doesn't affect your flash exposure.

Your 433D lists ISO, aperture, and distance because those are the parts of exposure that affect your flash. The shutter speed only comes into play when you are trying to balance ambient with flash.
10-15-2009, 07:32 PM   #7
Pentaxian

if you really want to do great flash shots with M42 lenses, look for an AF500FTZ flash, or any other pentax compatable TTL flash.

The *istD supports TTL flash, and does not require any lens - body communication for this feature. The *istD and DS have a second metering sensor, just for TTL flash that takes light reflected off the sensor, for exposure control. No other pentax DSLR has this, and it is a very worthwhile feature, as this allows very good exposure control with ANY lens when put on the body.

The camera is capable to sense that the TTL only flash is connected.

I have used this pair, body and flash ever since I got my *istD with everything from MF M42 and K moutn lenses, to KA mount and even AF KAF mount lenses. The flash works perfectly with the camera, and in some ways I think is better than the AF540FGZ, which will also support TTL flash on the *istD. The reason is that the AF500FTZ was initially designed for the higher sync speed of the PX-1 at 1/250th of a second. as a result, it has a shorter duration at full power (IMO) than the AF540FGZ which struggles at full power and 1/180th on the K10D (non uniform lighting due to flash duration extending beyond the full shutter open time of the body
10-15-2009, 08:14 PM   #8
Forum Member

Original Poster
From alohadave's response and Lowell's response I think that I understand why the flash I have (433D pentax dedicated) works on multiple shutter speeds. When I attach the flash it limits the camera to 1/150 down to 1/60 ( I think). I did some test shots and the picture is the same for all shutter speeds.

The period of time that the flash is on, is less than the duration of the shutter being open. If the flash does not support TTL metering, it just puts out light that is appropriate to the setting it is on (aperature, ISO, and distance). If the shutter is still open after the flash turns off, a little more light from the scene is collected, but it is not enough to overexpose the picture.

If the flash supports TTL then the camera does the metering.

Is that how it works? Again, thank for the help.

Kev

10-16-2009, 07:16 AM   #9
Veteran Member

If you want to use lens at particular apertures I suggest to modify M42 lens to A lens.
It need to have quite wide flange, but it is the same as with M lens.
Attach M42 to Pentax K adapter to lens. Drill small hole for fixing pin.
And send flange. After just paint necessary spots. And your body could use M42 with and PTTL flash and matrix metering.
10-16-2009, 07:42 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery
That is very interesting information. I didn't realize the *istD was TTL, I just assumed it was P-TTL. I guess that means I could use my AF280T flash in TTL mode with no issues with my M42 lenses. I has always been using it in on of the other modes. Now I'll have to play again with it all over.

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
if you really want to do great flash shots with M42 lenses, look for an AF500FTZ flash, or any other pentax compatable TTL flash.

The *istD supports TTL flash, and does not require any lens - body communication for this feature. The *istD and DS have a second metering sensor, just for TTL flash that takes light reflected off the sensor, for exposure control. No other pentax DSLR has this, and it is a very worthwhile feature, as this allows very good exposure control with ANY lens when put on the body.

The camera is capable to sense that the TTL only flash is connected.

I have used this pair, body and flash ever since I got my *istD with everything from MF M42 and K moutn lenses, to KA mount and even AF KAF mount lenses. The flash works perfectly with the camera, and in some ways I think is better than the AF540FGZ, which will also support TTL flash on the *istD. The reason is that the AF500FTZ was initially designed for the higher sync speed of the PX-1 at 1/250th of a second. as a result, it has a shorter duration at full power (IMO) than the AF540FGZ which struggles at full power and 1/180th on the K10D (non uniform lighting due to flash duration extending beyond the full shutter open time of the body
10-16-2009, 08:29 AM   #11
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by tr13 Quote
If you want to use lens at particular apertures I suggest to modify M42 lens to A lens.
It need to have quite wide flange, but it is the same as with M lens.
Attach M42 to Pentax K adapter to lens. Drill small hole for fixing pin.
And send flange. After just paint necessary spots. And your body could use M42 with and PTTL flash and matrix metering.
but why should he do this, he is using an *istD which supports TTL and P-TTL both with external flash and the internal flash. The camera automatically selects the flash mode by sensing what type of lens and / or flash unit is attached.

The *istD and DS do fully support TTL and do not need to know aperture for TTL flash as they measure light right off the sensor. I can't answer for the older TTL flashes but it is certain that the AF240FT, AF400FTZ, AF330FTZ and AF500FTZ when attached to the camera do function fully in TTL mode. There are a few limitations but not any of significance.
10-16-2009, 08:30 AM   #12
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by eccs19 Quote
That is very interesting information. I didn't realize the *istD was TTL, I just assumed it was P-TTL. I guess that means I could use my AF280T flash in TTL mode with no issues with my M42 lenses. I has always been using it in on of the other modes. Now I'll have to play again with it all over.
Not sure about AF280T, the manual lists AF240FT, AF400FTZ, AF330FTZ and AF500FTZ.
10-17-2009, 09:09 PM   #13
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
Not sure about AF280T, the manual lists AF240FT, AF400FTZ, AF330FTZ and AF500FTZ.
The AF280T will work in TTL mode. It also has an Auto-flash mode using a built in sensor, allowing it to be used on the later DSLR bodies.