Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-23-2009, 09:04 AM   #1
Forum Member

Strobonar 770 flash batteries

I just picked up a Honeywell Strobonar Auto 770 flash and while it seems to work fine on AC power the batteries are suspect. Does anyone know if the batteries can be repaired, replaced, or upgraded with something more modern? Unfortunately the AC transformer doesn't have any markings so I don't know what voltage the flash actually requires. Thanks!

Brad

10-23-2009, 12:35 PM   #2
Pentaxian

This discussion thread may help.
11-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Photos: Albums
A quick google on your flash, another forum HV Battery for Honeywell Strobonar 882 - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum may have answered your questions
12-18-2009, 07:08 AM   #4

I bought my son the same flash. It uses four sub-C nickel batteries. I took it to a Batteries Plus store. They rebuilt the battery pack for $18.00. A steal.

The batteries have long metal tabs. You need to solder them together, I am not sure if in series or parallel. The tabs on the two end batteries are folded and make up the contacts that connect to the inside of the flash unit. Probably not hard if you have done it before, but for $18 it was worth having their tech do it.

01-14-2010, 08:45 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
I guess things are a little more expensive here in Wisconsin...$40 plus tax for parts and labor to rebuild the pack at Batteries Plus.

But it seems to be holding a charge and working just fine now.

Brad
12-22-2010, 04:30 PM   #6
Inactive Account

Strobonar batteries

Hello there,
Didn't see your thread when it was posted , but I do have a solution. First, I make the battery packs for these units. Secondly, I repair these units. I love them and this is more a labor of love. Third, I just found a electronics technician that loves fixing and modifying old devices so boy am I in luck, and, so are you. The 770's are very popular and they, as many of the other variants, possess the same problems, usually the capacitor needing to be reformed or, replaced. This is why I have an electronics tech working for me. The price of the battery pack is $43 with $7 shipping. The cost of bench checking the unit is $35. Email me and I will send you a quick and dirty way of reforming the capacitor (in the handle) so you don't burn out the unit. 500 volt caps. can be loud when they pop. If you're having any problems at all email me and I will try to help you.

Happy Holidays,

Bill
08-02-2011, 05:12 AM   #7

Info on Strobonar 770

I too fell in love with these flashes and have been trying over many years to get one working! My original unit stopped working after a period of 6 months of nonuse I started charging it . After about an hour I came back to it and nothing so I swapped battery packs and started again then after a while I heard a pop like a cap gun. then after a while again I took it off the battery and checked it on AC and it seemed to be fine. I then assembled a battery pack by soldering it up my self (not very well done) but still no charge (or pops) . Bought another device as-is from ebay. The same; works on AC, but not DC. Now (six years later) I bought yet another "new in box", well it was in original box but it didn't look so unused to me.
It initially worked with very long (45-60s)cycle times then perhaps I brought the batteries below the charge level and the decades old batteries gave out. The other previous units with the self-made battery-pak are buried in the cellar with some other junk that's too hard to get to right now. This later unit originally worked, so I'm prepared to start new and build a battery pack. Are the batteries in series or parallel? I found it hard to get the right angle with little play room once you've soldered them. Any theories about the other units that work on AC but not DC?
09-21-2013, 06:13 PM   #8
Inactive Account

QuoteOriginally posted by chuckfm Quote
I too fell in love with these flashes and have been trying over many years to get one working! My original unit stopped working after a period of 6 months of nonuse I started charging it . After about an hour I came back to it and nothing so I swapped battery packs and started again then after a while I heard a pop like a cap gun. then after a while again I took it off the battery and checked it on AC and it seemed to be fine. I then assembled a battery pack by soldering it up my self (not very well done) but still no charge (or pops) . Bought another device as-is from ebay. The same; works on AC, but not DC. Now (six years later) I bought yet another "new in box", well it was in original box but it didn't look so unused to me.
It initially worked with very long (45-60s)cycle times then perhaps I brought the batteries below the charge level and the decades old batteries gave out. The other previous units with the self-made battery-pak are buried in the cellar with some other junk that's too hard to get to right now. This later unit originally worked, so I'm prepared to start new and build a battery pack. Are the batteries in series or parallel? I found it hard to get the right angle with little play room once you've soldered them. Any theories about the other units that work on AC but not DC?
NiCad sub-c batteries are soldered in series.

12-20-2019, 11:15 PM   #9

Do you still repair 770 battery packs?

Thanks,
fredmiller
12-21-2019, 10:27 AM   #10
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Kaufeetime Quote
A quick google on your flash, another forum HV Battery for Honeywell Strobonar 882 - Photo.net Lighting Equipment and Techniques Forum may have answered your questions
The Quantum Turbo batteries actually comprise a low voltage battery and a power supply that, depending on model date, either supplies 330 Vdc or 330V pulses. They are compatible, given the correct cable, with Pentax AF-500FTZ and AF-540FGZ, and Cactus RF60X speedlites, generally significantly reducing time to recharge. Connected to a device that expects to see 510V across its flash tube, one might get a dimmer flash than provided by the original battery.