Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-25-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Getting started with off camera flash photography.

Hey you guys, I am a total newbie at this. I have never used a umbrella kit before. I am going to invest some money into a umbrella kit so I can experiment a little bit on my friend's car, a table with a object on it, and sometimes a real person.

Right now I have a Metz 48 AF-1 flash, a Sto-Fen Omnibounce diffuser, and a wireless Pentax remote control F. I want to practice using some real studio equipment.

I really have no idea what I need at first, so I googled up a bit of information. I am interested in this type of photography. I have chosen out a couple of items to get started off with and are these enough to get started with? Am I missing something?

A starter umbrella kit.
Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

I don't even know why I need this, I read some online tutorial on how to get started with umbrella lighting, and it says I need this. I'll figure it out once I get it.
Paramount | PW-PC1 Sync Cord - Miniphone to PC | PMPWPC1 | B&H

Gel holder.
LumiQuest | (LQ-121) FXtra Compact Gel Holder with 8 | LQ-121

This is for the Gel holder.
LumiQuest | Cinch-Strap for Big Bounce and Softboxes | LQ-117

Last edited by LeDave; 10-25-2009 at 09:17 PM.
10-25-2009, 09:58 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
Have you checked out strobist.com? Lots of info there, while you wait for a knowledgeable person to reply to this thread.
10-26-2009, 03:24 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
off camera flash

LeDave: I am in the same boat searching for info on the subject and what works and doesn't work. I am interested to hear what others have to say.

flippedgazelle: Thanks for the link. There sure is a lot of info. I spent several hours reading it and other related links.
10-26-2009, 04:06 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
Hey you guys, I am a total newbie at this. I have never used a umbrella kit before. I am going to invest some money into a umbrella kit so I can experiment a little bit on my friend's car, a table with a object on it, and sometimes a real person.

Right now I have a Metz 48 AF-1 flash, a Sto-Fen Omnibounce diffuser, and a wireless Pentax remote control F. I want to practice using some real studio equipment.

I really have no idea what I need at first, so I googled up a bit of information. I am interested in this type of photography. I have chosen out a couple of items to get started off with and are these enough to get started with? Am I missing something?

A starter umbrella kit.
Impact | Digital Flash Umbrella Mount Kit | DFUMK | B&H Photo

I don't even know why I need this, I read some online tutorial on how to get started with umbrella lighting, and it says I need this. I'll figure it out once I get it.
Paramount | PW-PC1 Sync Cord - Miniphone to PC | PMPWPC1 | B&H

Gel holder.
LumiQuest | (LQ-121) FXtra Compact Gel Holder with 8 | LQ-121

This is for the Gel holder.
LumiQuest | Cinch-Strap for Big Bounce and Softboxes | LQ-117

The brolly kit looks OK, at least you get some stands and flash brackets which would cost the same if bought separately. It would be a good idea however to cover the hotshoe adapters with tape to stop the flash shorting.

Dont bother with sync cords (especially those). Metz flashes (and Pentax) have built in light triggers for wireless. All you need is an IR trigger.

Wein | Sync-Link Universal IR Flash Trigger - Hot Shoe | W918300

You can get radio triggers but they are more expensive and more fiddly. Unless you plan to work a lot outdoors in bright sun, IR is a lot simpler. However radio triggers work when you are not in line of sight of the flash.

There is not much need for a gel kit with digital (thats what white balance is for). However if you want to experiment then by all means get one, but they are not required. Just fun if you want to change the background colour relative to the subject.

More useful, since you are already looking at Lumiquest, are the snoot and softbox options

LumiQuest | Snoot - for Shoe Mount Flash | LQ-114 | B&H Photo

LumiQuest | Ultrasoft Pocket Bouncer | LQ-103 | B&H Photo Video

10-26-2009, 09:25 AM   #5

If you are going to be table top photography, shiny objects and a occasional person, 1 softbox would serve your needs much better that 2 umbrellas.
10-26-2009, 10:44 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by ramair455 Quote
If you are going to be table top photography, shiny objects and a occasional person, 1 softbox would serve your needs much better that 2 umbrellas.
Oh no no, I am only doing tabletop and shiny objects to experiment and get better in the long run, I am only dedicated for automobile and people shots only, mostly just people.

and thanks a lot *steve!
10-26-2009, 01:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Oh no no, I am only doing tabletop and shiny objects to experiment and get better in the long run, I am only dedicated for automobile and people shots only, mostly just people.

and thanks a lot *steve!
I may add if you were thinking of sticking with camera flashes for off camera work, any flash that can be fired manually will do as long as it has variable output. Dont waste money on PTTL Pentax flashes. Check ebay for cheaper old TTL flashes.

Also be careful, some non-Pentax brand flashes cant be used with radio triggers.

And dont forget to read the stobist site from end to end.

Strobist

I will add that at some point you will probably get sick of camera strobes. They are weak, slow, a pain to set up, keep running out of jiuce, and very expensive for what they are. I eventually went and bought one of these....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/478440-REG/Elinchrom_EL_20811KIT_D_Lit...light_Kit.html

You get much more control, instant recharge times (well <1 second anyway) and very consistent light with tons of accessories. Of course you need a mains supply. They are not the cheapest but are very well made and quite compact.

Last edited by *isteve; 10-26-2009 at 02:04 PM.
11-04-2009, 01:43 PM   #8
Veteran Member

For off cam flash units I have a pentax 200 thing and a vivitar 283 both have variable outputs and also a cheap wireless flash trigger kit from ebay too!

all work well as I too shoots automobiles.... (not done much flash work yet though)

sorry this post probably dont help you much....
but the old stuff can be as good as the new!
11-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
My Metz 48 AF-1 does not have a PC port, so how will I be able to trigger this flash with radio wave?
11-05-2009, 09:45 AM   #10

Low Budget

I'm putting together a low budget off-camera kit myself. For a DIY snoot, Peter recommended this site, which I found to be very helpful.

DIY Snoot
11-05-2009, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
My Metz 48 AF-1 does not have a PC port, so how will I be able to trigger this flash with radio wave?
A lot of the radio triggers have hotshoe mounts.
I just put up my old strobist trigger kit in the marketplace (look at the top of the receivers to see what I mean).