Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-04-2009, 08:37 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Wireless flash with AF540FGZ and Pentax K10D

HELP !!! I am trying to use the K10D with the AF540 flash as slave in wireless mode with the built-in flash as controller as shown on page 40 in the flash manual. I have followed the instructions step by step and with great care, but when I have registered the flash with the camera I cannot get the flash back into P-TTL mode.
The camer is set to wireless flash and the custom menu shows the built-in flash is to trigger the AF540 only. I have tried setting the camera mode to Av and Tv and P but still can't get the AF540 into P-TTL. The camera will fire the flash wirelessly in A auto or M manual............What am I doing wrong please???
John

11-05-2009, 01:17 AM   #2

540 FGZ slave with K10D

Hello Jumbuc...I have just bought the 540FGZ today for use with my K20D i have not tried any off camera work yet...There is a note in the user manual regarding K10D firmware...Do you have firmware version 1.10 in your camera?
11-05-2009, 02:56 AM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Have you ensured the channels of the camera and flash are the same (usually channel 1)?
Have you engaged the flash in wireless mode (halfway across the power switch)?
Is there any flash action from the unit when shutter is released in wireless mode?
11-05-2009, 08:47 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hello Jumbuc...I have just bought the 540FGZ today for use with my K20D i have not tried any off camera work yet...There is a note in the user manual regarding K10D firmware...Do you have firmware version 1.10 in your camera?

Yes, I have Version 1.3......

11-05-2009, 09:00 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Ash Quote
Have you ensured the channels of the camera and flash are the same (usually channel 1)?
Have you engaged the flash in wireless mode (halfway across the power switch)?
Is there any flash action from the unit when shutter is released in wireless mode?
Mattmatic has answered my question..........I was still in Slave2 instead of Slave1.......apparently when setting up the wireless flash settings and registering them on the camera the instructions in the flash manual do not appear to be quite complete as I DID set the Slave to channnel 1 but it remained as channel 2. Anyway by holding down the Light swith for 2 secs one can change the Slave channel and it stays set !! ...Slave 2 is the "dumb" slave and only works in A auto or M manual.....Thanks Matt...

John
11-05-2009, 10:42 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jumbuc Quote
Mattmatic has answered my question..........I was still in Slave2 instead of Slave1.......apparently when setting up the wireless flash settings and registering them on the camera the instructions in the flash manual do not appear to be quite complete as I DID set the Slave to channnel 1 but it remained as channel 2. Anyway by holding down the Light swith for 2 secs one can change the Slave channel and it stays set !! ...Slave 2 is the "dumb" slave and only works in A auto or M manual.....Thanks Matt...

John
Make sure that you do not confuse the slave mode and the flash channel. They are two different things. You can select one of four channels for communication to avoid interference between two or more set ups.
11-07-2009, 05:48 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Canada_Rockies Quote
Make sure that you do not confuse the slave mode and the flash channel. They are two different things. You can select one of four channels for communication to avoid interference between two or more set ups.
Thanks Canada......It does occasionally get a bit confusing in that Flash Manual.
Regards, John