Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-20-2009, 07:01 PM   #1

flashes

i was going through my old camera gear and found a minolta 200x flash. will it work on my k1ood ? thanks

11-21-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Probably not -- doesn't Minolta have a non-standard hotshoe connector?
11-21-2009, 06:54 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Depends when the Minolta flash was made, I think they changed hotshoes in the mid eighties.

Question 1 to ask yourself - Does it physically fit your flash? If not, then no point going any further.
Question 2 to ask yourself - If it fits physically, how high is the trigger voltage. This site Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages claims that your flash may be around 2-7 volts which SHOULD be safe. (I'm not making any guarantees)

Comment 1 - If it does fit and you want to use it then either measure the trigger voltage or purchase a Wein Safe-Sync or equivalent.

Hope this helps

Michael
11-21-2009, 07:10 AM   #4
Inactive Account

As far as trigger voltage it should be OK.
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

11-21-2009, 08:58 AM   #5

Original Poster
it does fit physically and photo strobe trigger voltage seems to be ok, i just didn't know if it would work properly, is a flash a flash? i guess my question is can i use this flash on auto mode, sorry for the dumb questions . thanks

Last edited by oldshovel80; 11-21-2009 at 09:47 AM.
11-21-2009, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Hi,

No such thing as a dumb question if you didn't know the answer.

If the voltage seems safe & it physically fits then a flash is generally a flash.

Your Minolta flash won't work with the PTTL function in the K100 but if the flash has an 'auto' mode then that should work ok. Also, it will still fire manually. Bear in mind that the auto mode on your flash still requires you to set the correct aperture and shutter speed on your camera. (shutter speed could be around 60th to 90th). I have a collection of old flashes, one dates from the very early 70s and I use that once in awhile (it does have a high trigger voltage (250v)) so I do use a safe-sync device.

No matter what type of flash, as long as it generates a bright flash of light when you press the shutter then it should work.

Michael