Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-25-2009, 06:24 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Off Camera Flash with K100D

So I'm finally wanting to take the next step and get the flash off the camera. Having a tight budget, I wanted to just use pc cord via hot shoe. Now that I've got a couple of hot shoe adapters, I find out that my Promaster 7500 won't trigger via the hot shoe adapter. OK, so what's my next option. I'm assuming it is to get another flash, which I'm not opposed to, but which one? It doesn't need to be TTL as my Promaster is, so I will never put this one on the camera. Recomendations PLEASE! 2 factors I'm looking at #1, PRICE... remember, tight budget. #2 I would like it to be able to be fired by trigger.

Any other information on this topic would be appreciated. I'm going to keep reading through the forum to see what I can dig up.

Thanks!

Cameron
St. Charles, MO

11-25-2009, 06:33 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Start here: Strobist

Lighting 101 is a great primer for using your flash off-camera.

Lighting 102 has several lessons to help with your skills.

I use PT-04TM wireless triggers. I started with PC/Sync cords and as soon as I used them for the first time, I decided to switch to wireless. It's much, much easier to go without wires.
11-25-2009, 06:37 PM   #3
Ash
Community Manager
Loyal Site Supporter

Welcome here Cameron.
The best option I believe is to find a Pentax-dedicated hotshoe extension cable as the K100D is not wireless flash capable, even with a P-TTL wireless capable flash (which the Promaster you have isn't anyway AFAIK).

You may be interested in this old thread about your flash:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/10413-promaster-7500dx-k10d.html

Such cables I mentioned include (coincidentally) the Promaster extension cord: Amazon.com: ProMaster Off Camera TTL Cord Pentax (8179): Electronics

And another discussion on these cords is here for your reference: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/28805-ttl-cable.html

Last edited by Ash; 11-25-2009 at 07:18 PM.
11-25-2009, 06:44 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Dave, thanks for the info. I have read a lot of the Strobist blog and got the idea to do this from them here.

Ash - I've seen the cables, but they aren't very long. Thus why I'm willing to go with a completely different flash for this application. However, before I jump into anything, I want to make sure it will work. I will check out the treads you have shared. Thank you for that.

Cameron

11-25-2009, 06:59 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Ash - Thanks for the info on the flash. Yes, the 7500 will not work on the K10D, but it works great on my K100D. Now to find a flash to work through a pc to hot shoe trigger. I believe I can then use the 7500 in slave mode to fire it from the other flash. But not sure about that and don't know if I even care to do that.

Thanks again... good info.
11-26-2009, 12:27 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I know that they're a little more expensive, plus you'll have to learn how to use the flash manually however I'd recommend some cheap FleaBay radio poppers.

It's nice having the range, without a wire following you around.

Here's a link that may give you some ideas.
11-26-2009, 03:30 AM   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by Camalama Quote
I find out that my Promaster 7500 won't trigger via the hot shoe adapter.
I modified my Centon FG105D which is the same as the Promaster 7000m. After this modification, I can now fire it with my very affordable Cactus V4 radio triggers.

Let me know if you don't want your Promaster 7500 anymore.

EDIT: The Nikon version of your flash will most likely work. In my case it is the Pentax dedication that makes the flash fuzzy about being fired on another non-Pentax camera or on a hot-shoe which does not provide data for the extra DATA pin.

11-26-2009, 07:24 AM   #8
Inactive Account

Original Poster
@little laker - I will probably go ahead and get some triggers. The problem is they won't work with my Promaster. Thus, I'll probably get a non-dedicated flash like a Vivitar or a LumoPro (something used maybe). Thanks for the link. You like these more than V2's?

@Class A - I saw your modification. I'm not good with a solder iron so I doubt I'm going to modify my flash. Plus, it still works just fine on the camera, so I'll keep it for a while. I can always use it in slave mode.
11-26-2009, 10:09 AM   #9
Veteran Member

You like these more than V2's?
I actually use the Flash Wave 2 PRO, which has worked flawlessly for me. Although I did have to modify my PZ-20 film camera for them to work.
I found a review on them here.

However, if I didn't use them to supplement my income I would have been tempted to save some $ on the e-bay units.
11-27-2009, 12:48 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
thanks everyone for their help. I picked up an old Vivitar 283 today for next to nothing and a cheap radio trigger. I can put my Promaster in slave mode, fire the Vivitar and they both trigger. Now I have to actually learn HOW to use them.

Thanks again. See you in the forum.
11-27-2009, 01:47 PM   #11
Veteran Member

thanks everyone for their help. I picked up an old Vivitar 283 today for next to nothing and a cheap radio trigger. I can put my Promaster in slave mode, fire the Vivitar and they both trigger. Now I have to actually learn HOW to use them.

Thanks again. See you in the forum.
Do you have the VP-1 module for your 283? If not, you won't be able to control the power levels on that flash.
11-28-2009, 08:25 AM   #12
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Great... It's always something... What is the VP-1 module?

I now see what the module is. Guess I'll be out looking for one of those now. At least I got my original question answered.

Last edited by Camalama; 11-28-2009 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Answered my own question
11-28-2009, 12:19 PM   #13
Veteran Member

If it doesn't have one you can always use gels or something along that line to restrict that flashes output for now.
Or even build your own barn door (I haven't watched the link yet)
11-28-2009, 09:03 PM   #14
Inactive Account

Original Poster
I ended up building a simple little DIY module that I found on Strobist. Seems to work. Of course I didn't have it ready when I went up to take shots of the neighbors for their Christmas Cards, but nonetheless, it's done and I can adjust the power. Now I'm looking forward to taking shome shots and learning how to use the flash off camera.