Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-27-2009, 03:46 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Metz 48 AF-1 problem.

When I shoot my Metz 48 AF-1 w/ Sto-Fen Omnibounce diffuser on my K-7 in P TTL settings, the lighting is always a bit too bright, I always need to set it down to like -0.7 or -1.0 in EV stops just to get the photos to look more natural. Anybody else have this problem?

11-27-2009, 09:46 PM   #2
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
When I shoot my Metz 48 AF-1 w/ Sto-Fen Omnibounce diffuser on my K-7 in P TTL settings, the lighting is always a bit too bright, I always need to set it down to like -0.7 or -1.0 in EV stops just to get the photos to look more natural. Anybody else have this problem?
How are you using the diffuser? Flash head at 75?
11-27-2009, 11:19 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
How are you using the diffuser? Flash head at 75?
That's probably where I'm going wrong, thanks. Will try again.
11-28-2009, 06:55 PM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
That's probably where I'm going wrong, thanks. Will try again.
I've found it to still be a lot more random than when using P-TTL bounced (ceiling, usually), where it's mostly dead-on. I haven't actually used it enough undiffused and straight-ahead, but my impression is that with the diffuser is on, P-TTL is even _more_ hard to control than that. It's not _random_ for a particular scene, but seems incredibly influenced by the degree of reflectivity in the field of view.

11-29-2009, 04:53 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
I was under the impression that 45 was the more common angle to use?
11-29-2009, 08:18 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
I was under the impression that 45 was the more common angle to use?
The suggestion on the printout that came with mine was to use 45 for film cameras and 75 with digital presumably P-TTL vs. TTL being the difference. Anyway, the more-upright direction does seem to work best with mine, although as noted it's still pretty sporadic.

(That said, I'm still happy with the product: when there's no convenient ceiling and no way to use off-camera flash, it's way better than straight-on flash, and infinitely better than no photo at all.)
11-30-2009, 04:52 PM   #7
Pentaxian

So you use it at 75 even when not bouncing? Presumably with the little white thing up?
12-01-2009, 06:40 PM   #8
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
So you use it at 75 even when not bouncing? Presumably with the little white thing up?
With the Sto-Fen diffuser, which works somewhat better than the bounce card for this purpose. (The bounce card is fine for what it's meant for, but not so good for this not enough light goes forward. In fact, I tried that, before breaking down and buying the Sto-Fen, which is a lot of money for a little piece of molded plastic.)

This room (in the Boston Children's Museum) is very dimly lit and has high ceilings (which are painted black, to make things even worse). (Sorry, the image is a little oversharpened after downsizing for posting as an attachment.)

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-7  Photo 
12-02-2009, 05:28 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Matt, nice shot under difficult circumstances. I was wondering if you used any EV comp in this shot? I just finished a shoot (w/ Metz 58, Stofen Omni Bounce), K10D, aperture priority, ISO 400. 75 degree tilt and P-TTL and a really high blond wood finish ceiling. Test exposures on the LCD looked great so I didn't add any EV comp. Subsequent viewing on computer (and a few prints) ended up looking a little dark. That being said, subjects were all exposed correctly.

Still trying to wrap my head around the flash thing <g>. Any additional thoughts would be appreciated.

Best,
Kevin
12-02-2009, 05:32 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Hmmm. I'll have to try the 45 v 75 thing. Thanks.