Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-01-2010, 10:33 PM   #16
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by enoxatnep Quote
I guess there must be no Metz 48 owners who use a Mac since I the firmware update is only an .exe file for Windows.
Yes, I noticed that too and had to use my secondary Wintel laptop instead of my Mac. Also, the instructions were only for XP and 2000 and not Vista which after all found automatically some USB drivers to connect to the flash. Also, all the instructions in the 48 package were written for the 58 model. All in all seems Metz need to get their act together regarding the fw upgrades.

01-02-2010, 07:42 AM   #17

Photos: Gallery | Albums
So, did anyone notice any improvements/changes? I updated it just in case, but no idea what to look for, the official description is kinda vague
01-02-2010, 08:09 AM   #18
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
After we d/l the update how do we install it?
01-02-2010, 08:16 AM   #19
emr

QuoteOriginally posted by Fl_Gulfer Quote
After we d/l the update how do we install it?
There's a guide inside the compressed file. In XP and 2000 Pro you have to manually install the suitable drivers for the USB link, in Vista (Home Premium) it seemed to happen automatically after a while. Then you just run the .exe supplied.

EDIT: sorry, the instructions were probably as separate pdfs on the same website mentioned above...

EDIT2: http://www.metz.de/fileadmin/fm-dam/Download/Homepage_Englisch/Photo_Electro..._Update_GB.pdf

01-02-2010, 09:28 AM   #20
Closed Account

QuoteOriginally posted by emr Quote
All in all seems Metz need to get their act together regarding the fw upgrades.
No doubt! They could have started by having Windows AND Mac updates available, plus making the installation more user-friendly for Windows folks across all platforms.
01-02-2010, 10:31 AM   #21
Veteran Member

OK I screwed up, (started the new year great)
Mine still says Ver 1.0 when I installed it I didn't read where you had to install 2 different things and I thought it was done after the first. Will it hurt anything If I try and install it again?
01-02-2010, 12:20 PM   #22
Veteran Member

I guess there must be no Metz 48 owners who use a Mac since I the firmware update is only an .exe file for Windows.
The beauty of an Intel MBP and VMware Fusion. I have been dealing with this for 20 years, less than 10% market share has it's consequences...

01-04-2010, 06:26 AM   #23
Veteran Member

But still no HSS update?

Metz was aware that the 58 could NOT act as commander, only slave, for wireless HSS- which meant that a person would need to buy either a Sigma 530 or Pentax 540 as an on-camera commander, to then use the 58 as slave, in wireless HSS!

So does the firmware update address this issue?
01-04-2010, 03:44 PM   #24
Closed Account

Mac users out of luck for now

I went to a friend's house and used his Windows machine to download and install the firmware update. Nevertheless, I e-mailed Metz for the sake of other Mac users and here is their response:

We regret that we can't offer the firmware update for the flash unit mecablitz 48 AF-1 digital for Pentax via MAC at the moment. However, we also plan software for MAC user. Unfortunately we can't give you the deadline when this software will be available.

We regret that we are unable to give you a more positive reply and remain
with best regards

Roland Laemmermann
Technical support

Metz-Werke GmbH & Co KG
Ohmstraße 55, D-90513 Zirndorf

eMail: roland.laemmermann@metz.de
Internet: Home: Metz
01-12-2010, 03:19 PM   #25

Original Poster
58 fw Upgrade

Sorry if I'm a bit late but the 58 fw upgrade went up on the Metz site on the 30/12/09 for anyone interested.

http://www.metz.de/en/photo-electronics/firmware-download-flash-units/mecabl...1-digital.html
01-13-2010, 01:18 AM   #26
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
All done and ready for next time

cheers
01-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #27
Veteran Member

Thanks to this thread, I also updated my firmware for the Metz 48 to v1.1!
02-03-2010, 04:36 PM   #28
Site Supporter

I know I'm a geek when the most exciting thing to happen this week is a chance to use the USB port on my flash to do a firmware upgrade. I'm still flushed and breathing hard from the experience...
02-04-2010, 06:28 PM   #29

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote
I know I'm a geek when the most exciting thing to happen this week is a chance to use the USB port on my flash to do a firmware upgrade. I'm still flushed and breathing hard from the experience...
Easy now fella ... you'll give yourself a heart attack
02-05-2010, 03:23 AM   #30

QuoteOriginally posted by imtheguy Quote

Did you at least pretend to smoke a cigarette after that?

So what exactly is upgraded? I read the info on Metz homepage but I'd like to get a bit more detailed info on the 2nd reflector. I don't have a usb cable that fits the unit, should get one when I go to the "city".