Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-05-2009, 06:40 AM   #1

help using AF140C ring flash

can any one help me in adjusting the brightness when using macro lense? i am using a 100mm macro but all close up images using the ring flash are bright white as if the flash is at its full power is there a way to fix this?

12-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #2
Veteran Member

First of all, if the flash is a non-dedicated one, then all you can do is use manual settings.
You can change your camera settings like..set the lowest ISO, then set your aperture setting to the smallest openings.
Also, find out if the flash has lower settings like 1/4 power or 1/2..etc.
You can play with all those variable settings.
If you have already set the lowest ISO (ISO 100), and the smallest aperture setting (f22 or f32, depending on your lens) and the flash has now low power settings and you still get washed out images, then your last resort would be to use a diffuser to reduce the light falling on your subject.
Oh yeah, you can use ND filters too on your lens if need be.
If none of those still work..oh well..I would try to find another flash..but let's hope it doesn't come to that.
12-06-2009, 12:38 AM   #3
Veteran Member

From what I know, the Pentax AF140C is TTL (2 levels) and full-power manual. It does not have auto nor variable power settings.

As stated in another post above, if you use the lowest ISO, and the smallest aperture, and the photo is still overexposed, you will need to resort to other means: use neutral density filter on the lens (focusing may be difficult), or use something to partially block the light from the flash.

Or you can increase the distance between the flash and the object (using a lens with greater focal length).

Here is one of my posts on macro ring flash.
12-06-2009, 03:22 PM   #4

Original Poster
indeed i did set the lowest ISO and used the smallest aperture but still the same result in close up shots using the macro lense, however it seems to work fine while taking shots of further objects using the same settings. its a shame i can't seem to have it work for macro use, thats the reason i got the ring flash in the first place.
i am using a K10Dand a DFA 100mm macro lense any ideas other than using a filter?
thanks for the help

12-07-2009, 04:13 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Add more diffusers to the ring.
Cut out paper or white translucent plastic the shape of the flash ring and attach it to the front of the ring itself to diffuse or lessen the power of the flash.