Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-14-2009, 07:12 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
Old Flash on New Camera

I'm totally in the dark (no pun intended) when it comes to flash photography so I'm hoping for some sage advice.

I have an old Sunpack 333D flash unit for a Ricoh XR7 that is in working order. Can this flash be used with either a K10D or K7? I have read that a new DSLR can be damaged by an old flash. I guess there's more to it than getting a new hot shoe adapter?

Bill

12-14-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
STOP RIGHT THERE!

Don't hook that thing up unless you want to fry your camera! The old flashes triggered at much higher voltages than the modern camera can handle. There are adapters you can get to safely protect the camera from the flash and let you use it with your K10D or K7.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/245292-REG/Wein_W990560_Safe_Sync_Hot_Shoe_to.html

Mike

Last edited by MRRiley; 12-14-2009 at 09:18 AM.
12-14-2009, 01:54 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Check the trigger voltage with new or freshly charged batteries. Check here for other possibilities.
Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages
12-14-2009, 05:44 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Flash

I have been using a AF500FTZ Pentax flash for years on my *stDS can it be safely used on a K7?
Thanks

12-15-2009, 05:43 AM   #5
Inactive Account

The voltage is safe. It will be able to be used on the K7 in manual mode.
12-15-2009, 06:54 AM   #6

This instructable shows you how to make a really easy and simple circuit, that protects your new camera from high trigger voltages in old flashes. It is completely safe and will not damage the cameras circuits!

It is better than those slave adapters that "look" for a flash, and then quickly activate the flash, since those adapters can be set off by other cameras. If you're at a party, that can be quite annoying.
1.what you need:
- general soldering equiptment - a sense of electronics - an Optocoupler with triac output (i.e. MOC3062) - 2 capacitors ( 10 �µF ) - 3 resistors ( 500, 1M, 30...80 ohms)
2.The circuit:
The circuit is pretty simple and streight forward. -The Optocoupler in the middle isolates the camera from the flash. If you don't know what an optcoupler is or what it do…
3.the case:
I got my self an adapter, that would give cameras that only have a hotshoe an PC cord connector
4.the result:
ofter squeezing everything inside, I got a battery clip from an old motherboard and glued it to the side of the adapter. And that is it. you can now connect pretty much an…
5.how to use:
now you just put the adapter on the camera and either mount the flash on the adapters hotshoe or use the PC cord. I like the PC cord alot, because it gives you alot of new…
12-15-2009, 12:58 PM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by readone Quote
This instructable shows you how to make a really easy and simple circuit, that protects your new camera from high trigger voltages in old flashes. ......
I think I know what you mean. But your post appears to be out of place. Is this similar what you're trying to write about: Thread on DIY Safe-Sync