Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-15-2009, 09:07 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
In the market for a flash; hammerhead versus shoe

I'm orientating on buying a flash for my K10D. Currently I'm using the onboard frlash or my 20 year old Metz 45CT1 with a hotshoe adaptor.

I'm wondering what the advantages/disadvantages are of a flash mounted in the hotshoe versus a flash that is mounted next to the camera (hammerhead or hotshoe flash on L-bracket).

The 45CT1 was bought because it was, in those days, a far more powerful flash than the available hotshoe flashes.

Moderator note: can the title please be changed to the one that is shown when the post is opened? Thanks

Last edited by sterretje; 12-15-2009 at 11:39 PM. Reason: improved title
12-15-2009, 10:51 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I imagine that the 45CT1 is guide no. 45? If so, it's pretty powerful. Even though some of the larger hotshoe flashguns are rated with GN54 or 58, that can be somewhat misleading because these flashes have zoom heads, so that GN is assuming that the head is zoomed to cover a narrower (telephoto) angle. I would also check recharge rate if that's important to you--I imagine that the 45CT1 is a professional model and may use a larger battery pack than the typical hotshoe 4xAA battery?

The bracket also probably keeps the flash further away from the lens axis which probably improves the appearance of direct flash. Some photographers will use flash units like the typical hotshoe units on flash brackets for this reason, though these brackets also sometimes support keeping the flash above the lens even when shooting with portrait orientation. Also, some might prefer the handling as well.

Some of the other advantages of new hotshoe flash would be availability of P-TTL flash metering on your K10D and some other features like trailing curtain sync, high-speed sync, controlling multiple flashes wirelessly.
12-15-2009, 11:35 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the reply. It's indeed a GN45 (with 28mm attachment one looses about one stop). mattdm pointed out in another thread that the AF540 basically only looses out in the 35 to 50mm range; for every other focal length the AF540 is 'better' due to the zoom (support up to 24mm (20mm with attachment) at the wide end and longer reach at 85mm at the long end).

QuoteQuote:
The bracket also probably keeps the flash further away from the lens axis which probably improves the appearance of direct flash.
That's the kind of arguments that I'm looking for.

QuoteQuote:
Some photographers will use flash units like the typical hotshoe units on flash brackets for this reason,
That was what I was thinking about.
12-16-2009, 01:30 AM   #4
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by sterretje Quote
I'm orientating on buying a flash for my K10D. Currently I'm using the onboard frlash or my 20 year old Metz 45CT1 with a hotshoe adaptor.
A Metz 45CT-1? That's a fantastic flash unit.

My son and I currently have 2 Pentax 540, 2 Metz CT45-1, 1 Metz CT45-4, 1 Vivitar 5600, 1 Sunpak 611, 1 Sunpak 522, 1 Sunpak 555, 1 Sunpak 36DX, 1 Nikon SB25.

My default flash is the Sunpak 36DX because it is compact.

My son's default flash is the Metz CT45-1 because of its power and short cycle time.

Unless you need fancy features such as high speed flash, p-TTL wireless, the CT45-1 is good. A remote sensor Mecamat 45-20 makes it great.

See my post in this thread about Metz 45CT-1 and Mecamat 45-20: Link to thread.

12-16-2009, 05:22 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I know it's fantastic unit I used it with my Minolta X700.

I bought myself a hotshoe-to-PC adaptor and that works (I have a safe serial number). My current problem is the focussing in low light situations and therefore I like an IR assist as is nowadays available in flashes.

I saw your comments in the thread that you have mentioned. As far as I know there has never been a SCA adaptor available (PC cord only). Further the flash came standard with an 28mm attachment.

I'm not giving up on the 45CT1; it might do a job as a remotely triggered flash in future.
12-16-2009, 06:12 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I know it's fantastic unit I used it with my Minolta X700.

I bought myself a hotshoe-to-PC adaptor and that works (I have a safe serial number). My current problem is the focussing in low light situations and therefore I like an IR assist as is nowadays available in flashes.

I saw your comments in the thread that you have mentioned. As far as I know there has never been a SCA adaptor available (PC cord only). Further the flash came standard with an 28mm attachment.

I'm not giving up on the 45CT1; it might do a job as a remotely triggered flash in future.
Unfortunately that's true, the old CT-1 model can not use SCA adapters and thus cannot also not use the AF illuminator, which you can use with later 45 series flashes.

My own experience is as follows: I do about 90% of my flash shooting (and I use flash very often for shadow fill-in etc.) is done with a hot shoe flash gun (Metz 54-3/4). My hammerhead flashes (Metz 45-CT4 and 50something) will mainly be used for weddings, where I need loads of power. In this case I often use them as a remote background light, triggered by the on-camera Metz.

P-TTL is not really necessary. A good Auto-mode flash gun will give results as good or even better (aka more consistent). For those cases, where neither P-TTL nor Auto works, I use manual power output and set the aperture as needed.

I have two flash brackets, but I rarely use those. A large hot shoe flash gun will be far over the lens to give a good general light. The only problem might be portrait orientation, when the flash reflector is sideways from the lens, That can give very unnatural shadows. In that case I try to use bounce flash and will add a little fill with the Metz's secondary reflector. My last wedding was shot only with such a set-up and the images came out nicely, without any strange flash-induced shadows.

Ben
12-16-2009, 08:05 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Ben: which SCA AF illuminator works w/ the 45 flash? I picked up a Nikon 346 adapter to hack around w/ (supposedly you can short a few pins together to fire up the illuminator).
sterretje: FWIW, auto-thyristor mode on the Metz is more accurate than other flashes I've tried. I think the main things you'd get w/ on-cam dedicated flash are: rear curtain sync (useful when dragging the shutter on the dance floor), HSS, and the AF illuminator...

12-16-2009, 10:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

I have a Pentax AF 360 and I'm not happy with it.
12-16-2009, 10:43 AM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
kenyee, I have to apologise as the question does not seem to clear. I like to know the lightging advantages/disadvantages (if any) between a flash mounted next to the camera versus a flash mounted on top of the camera. Think of an AF540 connect via an Fg cable and mounted on a bracket versus the same flash in the hotshoe.

As AndrewG NY stated,it might make it less harsh. I also found somewhere (in an advertisement) that it prevents redeye; I haven't used the 45CT1 seriously for a very long time (8 years or so) so can no really say how true it is.
12-16-2009, 12:29 PM   #10
Veteran Member

I like to know the lightging advantages/disadvantages (if any) between a flash mounted next to the camera versus a flash mounted on top of the camera.
I haven't notice much difference between my Pentax 540 mounted on the camera hotshoe and it mounted on a bracket next to the camera, at least when the camera is horizontal.

In the vertical position, flash mounted on the bracket results in slightly better photo less unnatural (I don't want to write "more natural").

I prefer flash mounted on a bracket with quick release because I can easily remove the flash from the bracket, hold it with my left paw, and bounce the light.
12-16-2009, 01:42 PM   #11
Veteran Member

I like to know the lightging advantages/disadvantages (if any) between a flash mounted next to the camera versus a flash mounted on top of the camera.
Ahh. Totally different question

It would depend on the bracket. Ideally you want one that will help hold your flash directly (and some distance) over the lens in both landscape/portrait modes. There's a stroboframe bracket that lets the 45 do this too.
The reason for this is in case you have an light being reflected forward...the higher your flash is, the more the shadows are pushed behind your subject.

If you mean on-cam vs. just sticking it out on bracket and taking landscape orientation, on-cam would be better because it pushes the shadows down vs at an angle.
12-16-2009, 01:59 PM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kenyee Quote
Ben: which SCA AF illuminator works w/ the 45 flash? I picked up a Nikon 346 adapter to hack around w/ (supposedly you can short a few pins together to fire up the illuminator).
SCA 3701 - that's the one I use with my 45-CT4.

Ben
12-16-2009, 09:24 PM   #13
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks people. Although there is no absolute 'A is better than B', I think there is enough information to take a decision in this regard.

WimS