Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-19-2009, 02:03 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Best batteries for flashes

Right now I'm using Eneloops for my camera but I use regular alkaline or Energizer rechargeables for my flashes (540, 2 360's ans a Sigma 530 Super). The instruction manuals pretty much say the same things - alkalines recharge slowest but you get more flashes. NiMH's get you faster recharge but almost 1/3 of the flashes. I've been sticking with regular Duracells but Ive been considering going the Lithium route instead, or rechargeables since I dont want to carry a 10pk of Duracells when I shoot on location or in studio. Using your real-world experience, what have you seen with the battery/# of flashes relationship? Have you seen this compromise?

P.S. Does anybody use the battery pack for the 540? I wonder if I can get away using a 3rd party one.

12-19-2009, 07:20 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
You will be fine using rechargeables. There's not really a reason to carry around batteries for a single use. In practical use, you probably won't even notice the difference.

If you get to the point that recharge time is critical, or you are shooting continuously for hours on end, then you'll be upgrading to professional grade strobes/heads and packs anyway.
12-20-2009, 06:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
I use Eneloops so I don't have to worry about my backup set of batteries being depleted.

If you're not using rechargeables, Lithium AAs are really the way to go. About 3× the lifetime for 2× the price.
12-20-2009, 09:33 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by jboyde Quote
P.S. Does anybody use the battery pack for the 540? I wonder if I can get away using a 3rd party one.
Quantum batteries work wonders, whether standard or Turbo. Turbos recycle much faster of course, but the standard Quantum battery is good enough if you just need really huge numbers of flashes. And at least the recycling time does not go down after the first twenty falshes, as it does (depending on output) with AAs.

Ben

12-22-2009, 07:37 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
I usually use the Eneloops, and I have been very satisfied. I especially like the fact that they can sit in the flash for a while after being charged and still work. However, I've wondered whether any of the other brands with higher ah ratings can do better if freshly charged.
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM   #6

Another vote for Eneloop type batteries. I've been using them on the Metz 58 AF-1 and they didn't wear out as fast as other AA types.

Looks like I'll be sticking with them for the new K-X as well.