Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-29-2009, 02:39 AM   #1
Inactive Account

AF540FGZ, Mounting an dismounting acording to the manual

I was reading in the manual in the section:

"Using the AF540FGZ in combination with a Built-in flash unit" Page 40

On the next page (41) thers a step by step guide.

1:1 Mount the flash, turn it On to wireless and do all the settings 1:2,3,4,5,6

1:7 Turn the camera on, press shutter half down to register channel.

Ok. At the begining of the manual it says that one should always turn the camera On before turning the flash On. These steps seem to do the opposite. So is i safe? I guess its no problm because i havent heard anything about it.

Then Step 2: Remove the flash from the camera.

Ok, should the camera and flash be turned OF when doing step 2?

Im just a litle worried about damaging expencive stuff here
And i am terrified of everything that has even a litle current and voltage.

Im just wondering because the manual says Mount Flash, turn on camera first, turn on flash. And i guess the opposite for taking flash of camera.

12-29-2009, 08:28 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery
5v is going through the mount any time the camera is on; mounting the flash will result in it firing. no real issue there as far as i know, it'll be a 1:1 ratio firing.
12-29-2009, 12:17 PM   #3
Veteran Member

You don't need to be always setting the wireless channel, and even then, if you aren't shooting with another Pentax shooter, both the flash and camera will ship with the default setup of channel one. There probably isn't even a need to set the wireless channel unless you bought the flash or camera used.

If your camera and flash are both on the same channel, forget about putting the flash on the camera first, and then taking it off. If you do have to set the channel, turn the flash and camera off before removing the flash from the body.

Thank you
Russell
12-29-2009, 12:20 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Original Poster
So, it doesnt matter in wich order i turn ON or OFF. As long as i dont mount or dismout with anything ON?

12-29-2009, 01:07 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by the swede Quote
So, it doesn't matter in which order i turn ON or OFF. As long as i don't mount or dismount with anything ON?
The reason the manual tells you to turn on the flash first is so that the setting of the channel on the flash gets transferred to the camera. There isn't a way to set the channel on the camera so this is it. I think what is left unsaid is that there expect you to turn off the flash and the camera when dismounting the flash, so any possible confusion will be cleared anyway.

I think it is better to turn the camera on first in most cases just because of the metering. Flash always uses matrix metering regardless of what it set on the camera. I would think that this would be where the camera and flash would conflict on boot. It just seems reasonable to let the camera boot into the physical settings on the camera, and then change into matrix metering as the flash comes on. I don't know if this has ever been an issue, but it seems like you might as well play it safe.

Always turn off the flash and camera before removing or installing the flash in the hot shoe. Why? Just to play it safe, you know nothing is going to happen this way.

Thank you
Russell
12-30-2009, 01:51 AM   #6
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Thanks Russel!

Im just worried i guess....after all, the stuff is quite expencive (my pockets measured)