Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-31-2009, 03:43 PM   #1

Flash Question - Wireless

I know that Af-360 and Metz 48 offer wireless option. But, I'm not understanding something about the slave. So, if I have a 360 or 48 set to wireless and I dont want to use the K-x build in flash, can I still use the 360 or the 48 wirelessly?

I just dont know which flash I should get Pentax 360 or Metz 48.

Help me out here.

What does this mean?
METZ 48
Notable Drawbacks: Can't work as an on-camera wireless master or controller

12-31-2009, 07:43 PM   #2
Veteran Member

You can set the on-board flash to work as controller or master. When it is set as controller, the light output is greatly reduced, so it's effect on the picture is negligible. As for the flash, I would get the Metz. It will give you more "reach" than the Pentax unit. You could also look for a Sigma EF 530 DG Super. It as all the bells and whistle you can think of, and is more powerful than the Metz 48 or Pentax AF 360. The Sigma can be used on the camera as controller or master.
12-31-2009, 08:07 PM   #3
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
The Metz cannot be used to trigger a wireless flash is what your last point says.
So if you had a Metz and a 540, let's say, then the Metz on the hotshoe cannot trigger the 540 set up remotely via wireless triggering.

If you find the 540 too pricey, consider the Metz 58 or Sigma EF 530 Super. These two are feature-packed and quite powerful.
01-01-2010, 01:51 AM   #4

Original Poster
For someone where money is not the object, which flash is a "perfect" flash?

01-01-2010, 04:57 AM   #5
Veteran Member

There is no perfect flash. It all depends on the situation you're in. Sometime, a shoe mounted flash will cut it, but for glamour shot, you might prefer a ring flash. Then, for portrait, a studio flash with a large softbox will be better suited to what you have in mind. It never ends...