Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-06-2010, 09:03 PM   #1

Photos: Gallery
Where to find a replacement foot assembly for Metz 48 AF-1?

I have a Metz 48 AF-1 for Pentax and...

On Christmas morning, I sat my camera (with the flash mounted on the hotshoe) on a piano bench in the room with the Christmas tree, so that I wouldn't forget to take pictures among all the chaos. My excited children were spinning around the room, when with arms flailing, my daughter knocked down my camera, flash and all. My son came and told me what happened and I surveyed the damage. The foot of the flash was sheared but, that was all. It still functions and so does the camera (THANKFULLY!).

Now after some research, I have found that flashes are purposely made with that sacrificial plastic foot as to not damage the camera. So my flash did what it was supposed to in this situation... but now I can't mount it to anything. My question is, I have seen replacement foot assemblies for other flashes (and even instructions for repair, as seen here) but I can't find anything for this flash.

So if any of you have experienced this, or just happen to know where to find a new foot, please let me know. It seems simple enough, so I would much rather replace it myself than to have it shipped off for repair.

Any help would be really appreciated!

Click here
to see a pic of the damage.

Last edited by hanamai; 01-06-2010 at 11:48 PM. Reason: To add link to photo
01-07-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Doesn't look too good for the feet. However with less than a minute of Googling, you can find a bit of answers. Here might be an answer in the Olympus section of DPR: Metz 48 AF-1, does Everything the FL50R and recycles Faster ... FEET part Replacement: Olympus SLR Talk Forum: Digital Photography Review

It's about the Metz 58 AF-1 feet but below in bold, it says the replacement parts for both the Metz 48 and 58 are the same. But you might want to ask just to make sure.

QuoteQuote:
The wind pushed my stand down, when I took off the sand bag and dropped my three flash bracket ... the Metz 48 OK, the LumoPro LP120 Ok too, But, the Feet broke ... MidWest will repair for Free , but I have to pay shipping.

Metz has a agent in USA where you can buy the Feet
The connection feet of the flash unit "mecablitz 58 AF-1 O digital" (for
Olympus and Panasonic) could be changed by you.

Metz 48 and 58 part the same.

Please, to purchase spare parts we recommend you to contact our agency in
your country (USA):
Bogen Imaging Inc
P.O. Box 506
Ramsey, N.J. 07446-0506
Telefon: 001-201-8189500
Fax: 001-201-8189177
info@bogenimaging.com

Please, see also for address:
Foto-Elektronik: Metz
01-13-2010, 09:11 PM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks to the above info, I eventually found the proper website and email address to contact (for US customers)! I had emailed info@bogenimaging.com with no reply, and also sent a message via a Metz website (maybe UK or elsewhere), again with no reply.

Here's how I finally got to what I needed.

(Optional) Go to Bogen Imaging is now Manfrotto Distribution

Click on the "Metz" logo or go directly to Metz US

Click the "Service" tab

Click on "Parts"

When you click on "Parts" you will see this:
"To help us determine the correct part for YOUR Bogen distributed equipment (Manfrotto, Gitzo, Metz, Gossen, Elinchrom, Lastolite, Rotatrim, IFF, Bogen Copy & Camera Stands), please call the parts department at (201) 818-9500 Ext-244, or email parts@bogenimaging.com We'll help you find the correct spare or replacement part(s), take your order, and start it on its way."

Then, of course, send an email to: parts@bogenimaging.com

At that email address, someone will get back with you in a timely manner!

I received a reply email from them saying the part number for the Pentax foot is MZ 795110284.A4 and costs $2.00 plus shipping.

(FYI, I am posting such specifics, because I am sure I am not the only one who will have the foot on their Metz flash broken. Just hoping this will help another panicked googler!)
01-26-2010, 10:38 PM   #4

QuoteOriginally posted by hanamai Quote
...SNIPPED...

I received a reply email from them saying the part number for the Pentax foot is MZ 795110284.A4 and costs $2.00 plus shipping.

(FYI, I am posting such specifics, because I am sure I am not the only one who will have the foot on their Metz flash broken. Just hoping this will help another panicked googler!)

I'm in the same situation; my nine-month old pulled down my camera + flash and to my dismay broke the foot, in a very similar fashion. I e-mailed the Canadian distributor, and quoted a different part number: #707-96-0048.A2. They also quoted me a much higher price -- $107. ouch.

Did the part arrive yet and was the price $2? I can't believe the disparity in price, but I'm not sure if it's because it's a different part...

02-01-2010, 02:32 PM   #5

Original Poster
I received the part, and yes, it was $2.00 USD, plus shipping. The total was $8.56 with the cost of shipping.

I got the part within about a week and just replaced it the day before yesterday. It took a lot of patience and a steady hand. And an extra set of hands, helped a lot too.

This is the part itself.

At the price you were quoted, I wonder if they are perhaps sending you the entire bottom assembly. I asked for a price on that, too... but the rep told me that they rarely even quote that, due to it being such an expensive "replacement part." It's basically the brains of the flash.

02-13-2010, 11:44 PM   #6

Thanks. I ordered it from Manfrotto USA. I haven't seen the total cost yet, but it was $2.00 + postage.

I would agree that installing it requires some patience with all those springs. But it was completely worth it once all back together again. In fact, it works better than before.

Prior to the replacement, it took a lot of force to push in the flash in the hotshoe, and especially pulling it out. It almost felt like it was going to break. Now, I can push in and out of the hotshoe easily.