Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Reply
Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 05:18 AM   #1
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,551
In what situation can you use the external flash that the built in flash couldnt?

Aside from bounce flash, in what situation / uses you can do w/ the external flash that the built in flash couldnt?

01-12-2010, 05:47 AM   #2
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
High-speed sync (shutter speed faster than 1/180s), e.g. fill flash outdoors. Also, lighting from somewhere else than straight ahead using off-camera flash and wireless triggering.
01-12-2010, 06:01 AM   #3
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
But isnt the built in flash capable also of 1/180s?
01-12-2010, 06:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member
RBellavance's Avatar

Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Near Montréal, Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,716
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
But isnt the built in flash capable also of 1/180s?
Yes, but not faster (e.g. 1/250s or 1/500s). This often means it can't be used for fill-in outdoors in sunlight.

01-12-2010, 07:12 AM   #5
Veteran Member
attack11's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Ottawa, ON - Canada
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 659
off axis (ideally on a bracket) for a nice pttl fill.
01-12-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
Veteran Member
Gooshin's Avatar

Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Toronto, the one in Canada.
Posts: 5,611
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
Aside from bounce flash, in what situation / uses you can do w/ the external flash that the built in flash couldnt?
anytime you dont want harsh light bouncing off peoples faces or objects you are photographing

which is probably 99% of the time



the pop up flash really is a last ditch effort and i would avoid it as much as possible, it makes your photos no better than those out of a point and shoot.

out of all my photographs this is the only one where i purposely went overkill on the flash...

01-12-2010, 08:10 AM   #7
Veteran Member
sterretje's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Roodepoort, South Africa
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 3,561
Reach (distance) would be another consideration.
01-12-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,056
Or using a lens such as the DA 16-45 at the wider end...

01-12-2010, 09:23 AM   #9
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,653
I think the posts pretty well sum it up

- bounce (from the OP)
- wide angle coverage
- off axis flash (bracket)
- extra reach
- HSS (although th e*istD can do this with the internal flash)
- better control of flash exposure compensation
01-12-2010, 09:25 AM   #10
Veteran Member
Nesster's Avatar

Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: NJ USA
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 13,056
I should have clarified: with some lenses, DA16-45 among them, the pop up flash casts a shadow from the lens.
01-12-2010, 09:28 AM   #11
Veteran Member
Eruditass's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2009
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 2,207
QuoteOriginally posted by Gooshin Quote
anytime you dont want harsh light bouncing off peoples faces or objects you are photographing

which is probably 99% of the time



the pop up flash really is a last ditch effort and i would avoid it as much as possible, it makes your photos no better than those out of a point and shoot.

out of all my photographs this is the only one where i purposely went overkill on the flash...


Nice shot
01-12-2010, 09:36 AM   #12
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Lowell Goudge Quote
I think the posts pretty well sum it up

- bounce (from the OP)
- wide angle coverage
- off axis flash (bracket)
- extra reach
- HSS (although th e*istD can do this with the internal flash)
- better control of flash exposure compensation
What is off axis flash (bracket)? HSS?
Can you recommend me a good performance/price external flash
01-12-2010, 09:39 AM   #13
Veteran Member
rustynail925's Avatar

Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Philippines
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 1,551
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Nesster Quote
Or using a lens such as the DA 16-45 at the wider end...
I notice upon aquiring the DA 16-45, i cant use the flash at wide angle and even at 45mm if i get too close to the subject.. are all zoom lenses aside from the kit lens cast a shadow?
01-12-2010, 09:42 AM   #14
Pentaxian
Lowell Goudge's Avatar

Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Toronto
Photos: Gallery | Albums
Posts: 15,653
QuoteOriginally posted by rustynail925 Quote
I notice upon aquiring the DA 16-45, i cant use the flash at wide angle and even at 45mm if i get too close to the subject.. are all zoom lenses aside from the kit lens cast a shadow?
this is an issue of the lens hood, which shadows the subject if you are too close, or very long lenses, but yes generally it is a problem
01-12-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Veteran Member
ghelary's Avatar

Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Paris, France
Photos: Gallery
Posts: 613
Asking why an external flash is like asking why an SLR. There are books written about flash.

On the internet the site strobist is recognized as the biggest source of information on the web.
Reply

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
flash, lighting, photo studio, situation, strobist
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
K7 built-in flash in M sinus007 Pentax DSLR Discussion 17 08-18-2010 08:22 AM
Problems with external and built in flash... Berrakovic Troubleshooting and Beginner Help 6 06-04-2009 10:06 PM
flash guide updated for k-7 built-in flash mattdm Pentax News and Rumors 4 05-26-2009 06:02 PM
wireless flash using built in flash k200d dtra Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 04-04-2008 12:34 AM
Using built in flash dvdman45 Pentax DSLR Discussion 9 11-29-2007 05:32 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:46 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top