Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
questions about off camera flash

I have a K 10 D and a Promaster 7200EDF flash. I am ready to try my hand at some off camera flash and I have a ton of questions.

I'd like to get a wireless trigger. But not exactly sure what I would look for. Do I need to get one designated for Pentax cameras? Or more dedicated to the flash? or a combination of both? Anyone have any recommendations? Is the Promaster flash I mentioned an okay one to start with for OCF and a shoot through umbrella? Or should I start saving for a different flash? I read a lot about Cactus triggers on another site, but most people on that site shoot Cannon or Nikon, so I'm not sure if that's something just for those brands.

Any suggestions, comments, ideas are very much appreciated. I want to get started, but really don't know what to look for.

Thanks in advance for any help!

01-12-2010, 03:22 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Your only option for using the Promaster 7200 EDF off camera is via a P-TTL cord. The flash has no manual settings, it is P-TTL or nothing. You maybe might be able to get the flash to fire at full power with a wireless trigger, but I wouldn't bet on it. Buying a long P-TTL cord is going to be as expensive as buying a manual flash and a set of triggers so you might as well get the more versatile solution of a manual flash and trigger.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-12-2010 at 03:29 PM.
01-12-2010, 05:01 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thank you for the response. Is there a Manual flash you would recommend? Or would you just stick with a Pentax? and if so, which one?
01-13-2010, 06:22 PM   #4
Inactive Account

Your K10d has a built in wireless trigger. You just need the latest firmware upgrade. I am currently using a k10d with the AF360FGZ off camera. I believe it also works with the metz 48.

01-13-2010, 11:48 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by jgrad Quote
Your K10d has a built in wireless trigger. You just need the latest firmware upgrade. I am currently using a k10d with the AF360FGZ off camera. I believe it also works with the metz 48.
The Promaster 7200 has no wireless capabilities.

Thank you
Russell
01-13-2010, 11:56 PM   #6
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
Thank you for the response. Is there a Manual flash you would recommend? Or would you just stick with a Pentax? and if so, which one?
Have you looked at the Strobist site? There will be a lot of talk about the different flashes and other equipment on the site plus it is simply the first place to go for starting to work with remote flash setups. I think in the last couple of years a number of new manual flashes and new wireless triggers have come to market and I'm afraid my knowledge is a bit old.

If you look for posts by Soldbear on flashes, you'll find he is a wealth of information. You probably could PM him to ask directly as he seems a good person and I'm sure he would point you in the right direction in a friendly manor.

Thank you
Russell
01-15-2010, 05:12 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much for the information. I will definetly look at that site.

So if I ditch my flash and buy a AF360FGZ then I dont' need any wireless triggers to use my flash off camera? Is there any disadvantage to using it that way as opposed to with a trigger of some kind?

sorry for so many questions! I just need to read up and figure out what I'm doing and what I need.

01-16-2010, 02:22 AM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery
You could also look for a second hand Metz 45-CT or 45-CL series flash, they have a wonderfull flash computer on-board so they can controll the amount of light you need while you set you're cam to manual.

The Metz 45-CT and 45-CL series are very good flashes and can be found second hand for next to nothing.
01-16-2010, 12:53 PM   #9
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by BethC Quote
So if I ditch my flash and buy a AF360FGZ then I dont' need any wireless triggers to use my flash off camera? Is there any disadvantage to using it that way as opposed to with a trigger of some kind?
The wireless sensor is on the front of the flash. As the 360 FGZ doesn't have a swivel, there are going to be times when you can't position the flash so that it can receive the signal from the camera.

As the 360FGZ has an auto off mode that turns the flash off in three minutes in any mode except wireless, it makes it hard to overcome the positioning issue by also having a set of radio triggers as back up. For this same reason having a set of radio triggers to extend the shorter range of the camera's wireless is also hampered.

At this time the only P-TTL capable flashes that can disable their auto power off features are the, Pentax 540FGZ, the Metz 58 AF-1, and the Metz 48 AF-1.

Another issue to keep in mind with using the camera's wireless is that, when the camera is set to wireless, shake reduction is not available.

You should read the flash sticky and follow the link to Matt's flash guide to get an idea about the different P-TTL flashes and their capabilities. Picking a P-TTL flash for Pentax is like choosing between a van, a pickup truck, a car, and a motorcycle. Each will get you to work, but if you want to do more than that, then each has advantages and disadvantages that you probably will want to understand.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-21-2010 at 12:25 PM.
01-20-2010, 06:15 PM   #10
MSM
Veteran Member

BethC: You might want to consider the Nikon SB 24, or 25, or 26. They can be found at KEH and others for much less than a new or even used Pentax 360. For the price I paid for my SB 25 and the price of say a Cybersync transmitter and receiver you would be under a new 360. I also have an SB 26 which offers more manual power settings and an optical sensor to act as a slave unit. This is of course if you are considering strictly off camera flash in manual mode. There is no Pttl. The triggers are from Alienbees (Paul C Buff) and are independant of camera make. I don't know if you can use the Nikon's in the Pentax hotshoe. I only use mine in a off the camera strobist manner.

Hope this helps. I agree with Russell with the strobist site. I also love a new (to me ) site called lightenupandshoot.com. The guys are funny and share a lot of information in a video format. Strobist is like the library of off camera flash. It can be overwhelming. I have the Strobist DVD set and another from Zach Arias' One light workshop. Both are great but pricey.
01-20-2010, 06:43 PM   #11
Veteran Member

QuoteQuote:
I also love a new (to me ) site called lightenupandshoot.com. The guys are funny and share a lot of information in a video format.
Thanks for the link. These guys are great! I've just bookmarked them.
01-21-2010, 06:00 AM   #12
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks so much guys for the information! I thought I had my mind set on a Metz. But I"m not positive. Thanks for the link to that site as well! Looks like I still have a lot to read and consider.

I'm so glad to have this site to ask quesitons and search things on. I'd be lost without this place!
01-21-2010, 07:28 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
QuoteOriginally posted by Sakura Quote
You could also look for a second hand Metz 45-CT or 45-CL series flash, they have a wonderfull flash computer on-board so they can controll the amount of light you need while you set you're cam to manual.

The Metz 45-CT and 45-CL series are very good flashes and can be found second hand for next to nothing.
If you get a Metz 45 CT-1, make sure that it has a safe serial number (see the faq on the Metz website) or use a safe sync device.

PS This might apply to other old flashes as well.
01-21-2010, 07:35 AM   #14
Veteran Member

As Russell-Evans says, there are 3 flashes where you can turn off the auto-shutdown. I have one of them (Pentax 540) and I have a little workaround that helps me if I have no assistant to help with lights.

Save up enough money to get one of those three flashes. Use the Cactus trigger to pop that flash. Now when you get other flashes (they dont have to be like the 540. The only thing they must have is the optical slave built in), have them on slave mode and they won't shut down at all. I think that's consistent with most other brand flashes. This way your master flash won't shut off and neither will your slaves. Also, then you'll only need one Cactus receiver.

Its frugal and effective. Two great words when you're starting out. :-)
01-21-2010, 08:48 AM   #15

Hi Bethc,

i have a Metz 48 which i can fire wirelessly with my K20. you can do the same with your K10. It works well but as far as i am concerned you are better off with a radio trigger (i have the oft criticised cactus older model copy - PT04 is written on them - they work great for me) and using manual setting on the flash. i picked up a couple of older canon flashes 540ez that don't work with digital canon cameras so they were cheap enough. plenty of power and plenty of adjustment options. I also got some cheap light stands and umbrellas and holders on ebay - pretty much the cheapest i could find to start experimenting with and haven't looked back since. check out the strobist website for a treasure trove of information. let me know if you need any more info on any of the bits i have mentioned.