Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #1

Metz 48 AF-1 off camera setup

I have the K20D and just ordered the Metz 48 AF-1 flash. I'd like to be able to set it up to use off camera. What do I need to do this?

Will this Dot-Line cord Dot Line | RPS TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord with Swivel | RS-0444/2 do it or do I need to buy a Pentax sync cord and hot shoe adapters?

I've searched the forum (and many other places) for hours and have seen similar questions, but I'd like to be sure before buying anything what my best option is.

On another thread, someone recommended this Dot Line | RPS TTL Off-Camera Flash Cord with Swivel | RS-0444/2 for a similar question. Is there any real difference other than length (I'd like a little longer) and swivel (which is unnecessary because the flash swivels.

Thanks.

01-12-2010, 03:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
The K20d has wireless control ability. I don't have any cords at all and use my Metz 48 off camera all the time.
01-13-2010, 03:34 PM   #3

Original Poster
Do I need to mount the flash to something first?
01-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
No. Unless you change wireless "channels", then you have to attacht the flash to the camera, turn flash on, turn camera on, half press shutter button - this sets camera to flash channel (1 to 4).

The wireless is infrared. So in bright sunshine or non line of sight it may struggle.

01-13-2010, 08:52 PM   #5

Photos: Gallery
QuoteOriginally posted by kabbee Quote
I have the K20D and just ordered the Metz 48 AF-1 flash. I'd like to be able to set it up to use off camera. What do I need to do this?

I've searched the forum (and many other places) for hours and have seen similar questions, but I'd like to be sure before buying anything what my best option is.

Thanks.
I too had several questions about this awhile back, and I know it can be difficult to locate a thread with the exact info you need. While I can't answer anything about the cords, I can tell you I received A LOT of help with using the Metz 48 (wirelessly) here. I had questions piggy-backed on questions and everyone really helped me get the answers and functions I needed. Hope it helps you too!

P.S. I suggest you read the entire thread. Plenty of great info there. In plain English, too. After I understood the info here- in layman's terms, I was able to better understand the manual that came with the Metz.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/camera-studio-accessories/68175-metz-48-f...ease-help.html
01-13-2010, 09:03 PM   #6
graphicgr8s

I've got some older flash units I use wirelessly. I use a Vivitar 285HV and a AF400T most of the time.
These wireless units "Flashpoint 4 Channel, Radio Remote Control Set, with Transmitter &%3B Receiver with Shoes, Range of 65'" have worked well so far. I bought a couple extra receivers for additional flashes I have. Good thing is it's not line of site like infrared. You can hide the stands around the corner and still have them fire. Plus no preflash.
01-14-2010, 07:46 AM   #7
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kabbee Quote
Do I need to mount the flash to something first?
QuoteOriginally posted by Arpe Quote
No. Unless you change wireless "channels", then you have to attacht the flash to the camera, turn flash on, turn camera on, half press shutter button - this sets camera to flash channel (1 to 4).
Note that you must do this initially even if they both default to the same camera. If you don't, it'll appear to work but all of the flashes will be at full power. (Based on experience, not documentation.)

01-26-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Inactive Account

The wireless is infrared. So in bright sunshine or non line of sight it may struggle.
If the wireless is infrared, why does the on-camera need to flash (with visible light I mean) in order to trigger the slave?
Thanks,
dan
01-26-2010, 04:43 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Photos: Gallery | Albums
To calculate proper exposure.
01-26-2010, 07:49 PM   #10
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by dnmtsn` Quote
If the wireless is infrared, why does the on-camera need to flash (with visible light I mean) in order to trigger the slave?
Thanks,
dan
To calculate proper exposure.
Well, also because it has no way to produce infrared light without also producing visible light.
01-27-2010, 02:43 AM   #11
Inactive Account

I think that the on-camera flash does not contribute to exposure calculation. The PTTL pre-flash comes from the off-camera flash, at least this is how the Metz manual seems to describe the PTTL sequence. The on-camera flash role is limited to triggering the off-camera flash. But I don't have the manual available here and I may be wrong.
It's more likely that, as Matt said, it is just not capable of emitting IR only.
01-28-2010, 12:58 AM   #12
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by mattdm Quote
Note that you must do this initially even if they both default to the same camera. If you don't, it'll appear to work but all of the flashes will be at full power. (Based on experience, not documentation.)
This has not been my experience with the Metz 48 AF-1, nor the Pentax AF 360FGZ. I pretty much pull the flash out of my bag, set it to wireless slave, and pop up the on board flash, set it to wireless, and go.

I can prove the flash isn't firing at full power simply by taking a photo of it in wireless mode. At full power the flash should overdrive the sensor, but it doesn't. The only way I can actually tell the flash is working is by switching to the DA 10-17mm fisheye at 10mm. This gives me a FOV larger than the flash's output on my target (I'm just laying the flash on the floor) and I can see the light circle. If I raise the FEV on the flash I can see this increase in the light circle, but still can't see the flash at the flash head.

This is with the K10D and K20D with the latest firmware on both cameras.

Thank you
Russell