Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-15-2010, 11:47 AM   #1

K10D+540 flash problem using trailing flash wirelessly

Hi all
First put this question on beginners forum a couple of days ago but have got only one response - hope this is okay on this forum!

I got the 540flash on Monday and I have got most stuff to work.

I have software upgrade 1.30 for K10D - the camera and flash are talking on channel 1 and all works fine with flash on camera. I can change dial on flash to trailing half press shutter and it will show that icon on flash.

It will work of camera wirelessly in normal flash mode but does not seem to recognise being changed to trailing flash.
Should this feature work wirelessly - the manual seems to suggest it should.

I have tried changing the custom settings on the camera to both master and control with no apparent effect.
I have also repeated the procedure to marry camera and flash.

I have looked through various articles and forums on site about 540, but with no joy.

Any help would be appreciated.

01-15-2010, 09:16 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Photos: Albums
You say it does not seem to recognize being changed to trailing flash- Regardless of what the display says, have you tried to take any actual pictures to see whether it is in fact working? Not sure but don't you have to also select trailing flash using the Fn button on the camera, in addition to setting the flash? Just asking.
01-17-2010, 02:44 AM   #3

Original Poster
Thanks for reply - the fn gives me various flash choices if flash is on camera, but as I understand it, it has to be set to wireless if flash is off camera and no lead is used. Yes I have taken various pics of the same still life set up and they are the same irrespective of whether it is on leading or trailing flash.
I just wanted to have made all aspects of the flash work before I tried to be more creative with its use - I know most of what I take will be binned, but all part of my learning curve!!
01-17-2010, 02:00 PM   #4
Ash
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Trailing curtain flash does work wirelessly as long as there are no 'green' auto modes selected on either the camera or flash AFAIK.

The only real way to know if it works is to try and capture a fast-moving object with decent ambient lighting that will permit a trailing streak of the moving object to record adequately on the sensor. Once you can see this is happening, you will have a better idea as to how each flash mode is working.

Try that and see how you go.

01-18-2010, 10:00 AM   #5

Original Poster
Many thanks - I will give it a go!!
I expected to see some indication on the flash like you get when it is on camera, with ahalf press of the shutter!