Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #1

need help with my external flash

so as some of you may have read my af540 is broke and i need a new one
but its $420usd and i just noticed that i could get 2 af360s for that same price

so my dilemma is . do i buy one 540 or 2-360?

i wanna use to as a front light and one as a "hair Light"
now i know a decent amount about the 540 but nothing on the 360
does the 360 have the same funtions as the 540 just the flash isnt as powerful?
and can i do master and slave with the 2 ?
and does it do wirerless? if not any suggestions on radio transmitters?

01-17-2010, 12:55 AM   #2
Veteran Member

The 360FGZ doesn't swivel. This can make wireless harder to use as you can't always point the flash's sensor towards the camera. The other issue is that the 360FGZ doesn't have a way to disable its auto power off feature. If you want to use the flash with radio triggers this will be an issue as the flash turns itself off in three minutes of inactivity. When the flash powers down and you manually power it back up, it comes up in a default mode, losing your previously set settings.

The only current P-TTL flashes that can disable their auto power down feature are the Pentax 540FGZ, the Metz 58 AF-1, and the Metz 48 AF-1. You might want to read the flash sticky thread in this forum, reading Matt's P-TTL flash guide to get an idea of the features you gain and lose for each choice of flash.

I personally have mix a set of old manual flashes with radio triggers, a Pentax 360 for on camera Master / controller and a Metz 48 AF-1 for the wireless slave as it doesn't have support for being a master or controller. The Metz is also the only flash I generally carry in the camera bag.

Thank you
Russell

Last edited by Russell-Evans; 01-17-2010 at 03:48 AM.
01-17-2010, 01:17 AM   #3

Original Poster
now with the Metz 58 AF-1
does that have a locking head unlike the 540 and also can you turn off that lower light if you dont wanna use it?