Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-18-2010, 01:22 PM   #1
Forum Member

540FGZ Flash Recycle Times for NiZn Batteries

In answer to various folks' question about how quickly the NiZn batteries can recycle a flash I thought I would conduct a quick test. See below attachment.

The first test was with NiZn that had been in my 540FGZ flash for a week or two and I estimate that they where still 2/3 full. Then I tested them after freshly charging them followed by a freshly charged set of Eneloops.

I preformed two styles of tests, first a set of five flashes (all flashes where 100% intensity in manual mode) with a 60 second wait between flashes. The second style of test was five 100% flashes as fast as the 540FGZ would recycle.

As you can see the NiZn batteries recycle quite a bit faster and percentage wise lose less of their charge than the Eneloops (roughly measured by the delta voltage before and after the tests).

Edit - typo in PDF file

Attached Images
File Type: pdf 540FGZ recycle times.pdf (50.2 KB, 721 views)

Last edited by JackBak; 01-18-2010 at 01:56 PM.
02-04-2010, 05:24 AM   #2

Photos: Gallery
Thanks for testing these out Jack ... Im looking at buying 4 sets of these (for 2 flashes) to use at weddings. I dont normally blast away at full power so the recycle times will be even quicker - 4 shots every 3 seconds at 1/4 power or close to .... be interesting to know total number of flash you can get out of the respective sets.

Thanks again,

David
02-04-2010, 05:30 AM   #3

I think I have read somewhere that NiZn batteries fried some AF540FGZ or AF360FGZ. Be careful.
02-04-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
All the evidence I have chased down, see here, indicates no failure attributable to NiZn batteries.

02-04-2010, 08:36 AM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by David Glazebrook Quote
.... be interesting to know total number of flash you can get out of the respective sets.
Some people may be tempted to test this out by inserting a fresh set of batteries and blasting away. Please do not test in this manner! Heat will build up throughout the flash and some component may fail. I suspect this may be how reports of failure have come about - though I don't know for a fact. Besides this is not how a flash is used in real life, yes there will be times that a number of flashes are ripped off in quick succession but not hundreds of shots as quickly as possible.

This would be a valid test if one were to fire off a few flashes and then wait a few minutes then repeat. Since this is somewhat tedious human nature being what it is people may be tempted to just flash away -- see above caution.
02-04-2010, 10:35 AM   #6
Inactive Account

The jury is still out on longevity, but I’ve been a proponent of these cells based on performance alone. I don’t care how long they last...they work better than anything else. And after a half dozen charges, you’ve saved over Lithiums. I think that gives them the best performance/value ratio of all the cells.

The flash recycle time for my K-x’s built-in flash dropped from 5 seconds to 3 second...very much in line with these findings. My autofocus motor is also faster.

That Voc is pretty darn high...you must have tested them right off the fast charge (where they’re getting 1.9v.) My cells are about 1.83-.85v after coming out of the trickle cycle, and after sitting around for a day they settle in at 1.8v. The voltage throws my K-x battery meter off. Basically it’s green until the batteries are nearly dead…then it goes right to red.

Voc characteristics are very much like Lithium cells, so if your device specs Lithiums, I would say you can safely use these. If the device isn’t spec’ed for Lithiums then…might work…might blow up!
02-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Graystar Quote
That Voc is pretty darn high...you must have tested them right off the fast charge (where they’re getting 1.9v.) My cells are about 1.83-.85v after coming out of the trickle cycle, and after sitting around for a day they settle in at 1.8v. The voltage throws my K-x battery meter off. Basically it’s green until the batteries are nearly dead…then it goes right to red.
Yup, right off the fast charger, as well as right off the Maha charger for the Eneloops. I didn't want any self discharge to be in the mix.